• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Confirms New Licenses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Second_Ignition_Yui

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Second_Ignition_Yui wrote:
Hahaha, poor bastards.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm worried about Kashimashi not having a dub. I liked what I've seen of this series but if MB is basically just going to provide the same thing as the fansubbers, it almost seems pointless to buy it.

Maybe to those mundanes who watch dubs, yeah.

Uhh, what exactly are you implying? Confused
He's implying that someone who watches dubs is a "mundane" compared to someone like him, the exalted and glorious watcher of subs. Rolling Eyes

He's acting like a troll and trying to insult me and all other people who listen to dubs because he's insecure and needs to feel superior to someone. I pity him. Crying or Very sad

Of course he's ignoring the fact that in order to know anything about this series, I had to watch at least part of it fansubbed. Which means I can read subtitles just as well as he can. But apparently wanting the option of being able to listen to it in English makes me a lesser being in his mind. Rolling Eyes

Would you watch a foreign film dubbed? I don't think so. Unless you were a moron. Same goes for anime. The fact that it's a cartoon should really make no difference. Foreign media should be watch it its original language, plain and simple.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Hahaha, poor bastards.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm worried about Kashimashi not having a dub. I liked what I've seen of this series but if MB is basically just going to provide the same thing as the fansubbers, it almost seems pointless to buy it.

Maybe to those mundanes who watch dubs, yeah.

Uhh, what exactly are you implying? Confused
He's implying that someone who watches dubs is a "mundane" compared to someone like him, the exalted and glorious watcher of subs. Rolling Eyes

He's acting like a troll and trying to insult me and all other people who listen to dubs because he's insecure and needs to feel superior to someone. I pity him. Crying or Very sad

Of course he's ignoring the fact that in order to know anything about this series, I had to watch at least part of it fansubbed. Which means I can read subtitles just as well as he can. But apparently wanting the option of being able to listen to it in English makes me a lesser being in his mind. Rolling Eyes

Would you watch a foreign film dubbed? I don't think so. Unless you were a moron. Same goes for anime. The fact that it's a cartoon should really make no difference. Foreign media should be watch it its original language, plain and simple.

Apparently you've never watched Godzilla movies.
Second_Ignition_Yui

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I haven't, but if I did I'd like to see them in their original language plzthx
Calculusman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote

good for you (that's about all that can be said)
zerograde

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Kashimashi, a definate buy for me too. It was the first series that really got me into anime, also the first to make me cry. I really hope they get top notch VA's for this series becuase it has many emotional scenes that made the show.

Still realtively new to anime, I'm curious if Kashimashi is the first non-hentai seires being released dealing with female/female relastionships with a more serious atmosphere. If it is it could make it an attention grabber.

Hey look it's my first post! yay!
Calculusman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:34 pm Reply with quote
zerograde wrote:
Kashimashi, a definate buy for me too. It was the first series that really got me into anime, also the first to make me cry. I really hope they get top notch VA's for this series becuase it has many emotional scenes that made the show.

Still realtively new to anime, I'm curious if Kashimashi is the first non-hentai seires being released dealing with female/female relastionships with a more serious atmosphere. If it is it could make it an attention grabber.

Hey look it's my first post! yay!

I doubt it's the first that's been done in Japan, considering how long anime has been out. Whether anything much like it has been brought over to the US, i'm not sure. I've only been watching it for about 14 months myself. (the first series that got me into anime is represented by my avatar)

And welcome to the forum.

edit: though, Ranma 1/2 has the obvious storyline of male turning to female (though in that case, he can turn back) but I've never seen it so I don't know if any of the themes are remotely similar
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see they picked a good title for Ramen Fighter Miki. Not sure why they changed the manga title "Noodle Fighter Miki" to Muteki Kanban Musume for the anime, but I thought "Noodle Fighter Miki" had a nice ring to it, and Ramen Fighter is pretty close.

Kashimashi, meh...there's some titles I'd like to see dubbed, especially those taking place outside of Japan, but Kashimashi isn't one of them. It'd be nice to see a dub, but I'd be perfectly fine without one. If there is a dub I hope it makes Hazumu's voice sound slightly lower, as although Kana Ueda is a capable seiyuu she sounded 0% masculine. It sounded fine once Hazumu spoiler[became a girl, but prior to that, it was really odd.]

zerograde wrote:
I really hope they get top notch VA's for this series becuase it has many emotional scenes that made the show.

I hope they at least cast VA's that fit the characters. I mean, Yui is awesome and all, but her voice really did not fit Yasuna at all.

Would you watch a foreign film dubbed? I don't think so. Unless you were a moron. Same goes for anime.

It's not the same, since it's much easier to make the lip flaps and other aspects fit and match since it's animated and not live action. Dubbed live action is usually ridiculous because the lips obviously don't match the voice.

Quote:

Hm, I could call you a moron and say:

"If I saw a foreign film I'd like to see them without shifting my eyes constantly between the film and the words on the bottom plzthx"

In the end, you can't call people morons because they don't agree with your personal preferences.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:07 pm Reply with quote
zerograde wrote:
First, welcome to the forum!

Second, Kashimashi isn't the first do deal with female/female relationships seriously and there are even a few series you might want to check out if you are especially interested in this type of series. Here are a few possibles:

Kannazuki no Miko: Part mecha series, part emotional drama, this is a story about a dark destiny and two high school girls drawn into a battle with an evil god-like being. It's got some very dark twists and plenty of emotion. It felt rushed to me, but it's a good series. It's available now from Geneon. Here's a link to the encyclopedia entry: anime#4548

Strawberry Panic!: More realistic than Kashimashi or Kannazuki no Miko, this series takes place on the grounds of three all-girl's schools. The top student of the three schools, given the title of Etoile, is Shizuma Hanazano. For some reason, after a chance meeting, she takes a strong interest in Nagisa Aoi, a new student. Unlike some series, Strawberry Panic! doesn't try to be coy about the female/female relations. In fact, there are no males to be seen in this series. Some people don't like this one much but I enjoyed it a lot. Currently unlicensed. Encyclopedia link: anime#6176

Maria-sama ga Miteru: I haven't seen this one myself, but lots of people praise it. Yumi, a first year student at an all-girls Catholic school, admires Sachiko, a second year on the student council. When the two become closer, the drama begins. I've heard a lot of good things about it but haven't seen it myself yet. Currently unlicensed. Encyclopedia link: anime#3150

The above are all recent titles that spring to mind. While not obviously involving romantic connections or intentions, and considerably more focused on action, you may want to consider NOIR. This is a tale of two assassins brought together by a shared connection, each seeking to learn more about their pasts. The character interplay is intriguing and the story is decidedly focused on the female leads. Available from ADV films in thin-pack (with extras, unlike some ADV thin-packs.) Encyclopedia link: anime#407

Again, welcome and hope you find anime watching as enjoyable as I do.
zerograde

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
hey thanks for the warm welcomes Anime smile . Also thanks for the suggestions. I have seen SP! and Maria-sama ga Miteru, very good indeed, I may pick up Noir (seen tarilers, looks good). I have'nt seen many mecha shows cept for NGE and Innocent Venus(kinda mecha) so i may give Kannazuki no Miko a shot.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I'm just glad they didn't announce having Strawberry Panic! Facing the prospect of that one being sub-only would break my poor heart.

I am too...mainly because facing the prospect of that train wreck being licensed before Maria-sama ga Miteru or in the case of Kashimashi would break mine. Very Happy

I think Kashimashi will get a dub. Even if it's shoujo-ai, I think it has pretty solid market potential as the Gravitation of shoujo-ai. But then again, I figured Loveless had pretty strong market potential as well, and that one was sub only (made buying it all the cheaper, so I didn't mind).

Really, just getting a collector's box will tide me over quite well, sub or bilingual...though I'll buy it no matter what the release.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Nice to see they picked a good title for Ramen Fighter Miki. Not sure why they changed the manga title "Noodle Fighter Miki" to Muteki Kanban Musume for the anime, but I thought "Noodle Fighter Miki" had a nice ring to it, and Ramen Fighter is pretty close.

I assume that the manga was also called Muteki Kanban Musume in Japan.

Initially I thought the name "Ramen Fighter Miki" sounded rather odd (I'm too used to "Noodle Fighter Miki" I guess), but it does seem a little more accurate, given that it is a Chinese ramen restaurant. =\

In any case, good for MB. I might give Miki a shot, with what I've watched so far on the subs.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Hurrah for Kashimashi! Does anyone know if MB's release will definitely include the DVD only ep.13?

I'm a little perplexed why no one is having the dub/sub discussion (controversy?) over Miki or High School Girls, since they're also being released by MB. Kashimashi is a seinen title aimed at boys (hellooooo panchira fanservice!), and isn't a yuri equivalent of MB's yaoi titles. Although of course one can assume they will market it that way. Which is a shame really, because I agree it could really attract a larger audience if marketed properly. I enjoyed watching it this past spring, I thought it was sweet and fluffy like cotton candy, and a pleasant change of pace in between shows like Shakugan no Shana and Mushishi. I didn't expect it to be licensed, so of course I'm pleased about that. I don't really care if there's a dub, but then I never watch them anyway -- I won't begrudge anyone who does, although I might just nudge them towards the sub button in as friendly a manner as possible. Wink (Unless of course they want to watch Escaflowne or, god forbid, Fushigi Yuugi dubbed. Then I have to sit them down and calmly, with the sweetest and most deliberate persuation, force them see the error of their ways. ;- )
Jabberwock

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote

The only thing moronic around here is your logic and thought processes. Not to mention your completely generalizing purist ideals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
I assume that the manga was also called Muteki Kanban Musume in Japan.

Yeah, you're right. The ANN Encyclopedia had it listed under "Noodle Fighter Miki" so I just assumed that it or a close Japanese translation of it (Menmusha Miki, or something like that) was the actual title of the manga.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
Jabberwock wrote:

The only thing moronic around here is your logic and thought processes. Not to mention your completely generalizing purist ideals.

for some odd reason i see everyone here debating this on Hey Answerman Friday. Something about a rant about dubs vs. subs.

I must not visit the forums enough because i didn't think trolls like that actually wrote anything on boards like this because of the sheer amount of comments they'd get back.

but yeah I agree with you Jabberwock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4