• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Le Chavalier D'Eon Licensed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Tatsuko wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:

Basically all that it means is that ADV has the rights to the show but they aren't going to announce it until sometime in the future, probably when they do a press release or something.

But my point is, if they didn't get confirmation from ADV, then where did they get their information from? They didn't list a source...
They may have gotten confirmation from someone at ADV in a semi-official status. Companies sometimes allow information to get out as a way to drum up publicity and interest before actually releasing "official" statements.

Either way, given ANN's policies on anouncements like this, they have SOME very reliable source telling them this and ADV isn't telling them otherwise. (Sounds like ADV just said "we're not ready to announce this. . . yet.")

Also, just because they don't mention a source doesn't mean the information is incorrect. (Heck, the New York Times might go out of business if you removed all of their "unnamed sources." Wink )
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't sound like a title which would sell that well here. But then Gankutsuou seems to be doing ok...

CornernedAngel:
Quote:
...on the other hand, especially now, after the last couple of years, I think ADV wants to show that, for all the Jinki Extends and Nerima Daikon Brothers, they can also put out a very adult-oriented, "mature" title that is different from most of the rest of their catalog.

ADV has plenty of mature titles. See Neo Tokyo, MegaZone, and Voices of a Distant Star as examples. It's just that there aren't enough mature fans to justify buying more of those types of shows.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
ADV has plenty of mature titles. See Neo Tokyo, MegaZone, and Voices of a Distant Star as examples. It's just that there aren't enough mature fans to justify buying more of those types of shows.
That is a sad and sorry truth. People need to give more titles a chance.

Part of the problem though is the companies and stores themselves not having faith in the titles. When you don't advertise what you have and you can't get brick and mortars to carry it when you do advertise, fans can't buy it.

I'll be watching for this title when it comes out. It sounds interesting. (Hopefully ADV will make a kick-ass dub and an equally sweet art box. I'm not holding my breath on the art box though.)
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Considering that it features teenage characters and is aimed at teenagers (the most prolific text-messaging demographic), I have a hard time buying VODS as a "mature" title.

But that's entirely off subject. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Considering that it features teenage characters and is aimed at teenagers (the most prolific text-messaging demographic), I have a hard time buying VODS as a "mature" title.

But that's entirely off subject. Rolling Eyes
I think Diamond Daydreams also counts as a "mature" title, at least relative to most of ADV's catalogue of giant robots, jiggle, and wacky comedy. From the little I know of this show (which is just the ANN preview--I'm too busy DLing the latest "based on a dating game" anime(s) to get the actual good stuff), it does seem like an odd choice for ADV; Geneon and Media-Blasters seem to do more of these kinds of series, which reminds me, I need to pick up Otogi Zoshi from Best Buy. No matter what happens, I'm glad to see ADV back on their feet and licensing more frequently, either because of the Sojitz investment or just recovering from the overall slump of the industry.

However, I have a sneaking suspicion that the fansubs will be continued on Chevalier despite this announcement.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:41 am Reply with quote
I only know what I've read on this forum about it and it is on my "want to see list."

It will be interesting to see how ADV handles this title since it does seem out of it's usual "range." But, with all businesses it is "expand, grow or die." And if they don't go beyond their "usual," how will they expand their reach and grow beyond what they are now.

Of course, I'm sure that they have to know that we the fans/audience will be watching very closely as to how they handle the title.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:01 am Reply with quote
This is GREAT news! I've been really wanting to see this show...and to not only have it licensed, but to have it coming out so soon, and by a company that has some of my FAVORITE voice actors (I like the Full Metal Panic! dub better than I like the actual anime, and I was also really impressed with how they handled Princess Tutu), I'm...well...estatic. <3

I really hope it does come out as soon as the article says it might, because I can't wait to get my hands on this. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:28 am Reply with quote
if its ADV that makes me even more happy means I can get a cheap boxset in a couple years.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:57 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
However, I have a sneaking suspicion that the fansubs will be continued on Chevalier despite this announcement.

Most fansubbers today are mildly resistant to anything that takes their fansubs away. They'll wait for an official announcement from ADV, but that doesn't matter, they won't wait very long.

Of course, some fansubbers are much more resistant and will continue to fansub the show (or start fansubbing it) even after ADV announces the license.

I suspect this is why ADV is looking to release it so quickly.

-t
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:03 am Reply with quote
Hopefully it gets a "Full Metal Panic" quality dub and not a "Kaleido Star" dub. I really do hope they get a good director for the dub.

That said, unless the show really, REALLY gets good, I'm holding off until the eventual thinpak release. It's nice to know that ADV is still able to get their hands on some semi-popular series though, since they've been getting mostly lesser known series (Underwater Ray Romano aside of course).
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:08 pm Reply with quote
flip wrote:
It's an excellent show. It reminds me of Rose Of Versailles, with better quality animation, a supernatural twist and some alchemic powers. I wonder who licensed it...

There's a good possibility that we will have an article on this series in PA# 90 (January).

I decided to start watching Chevalier because its plot reminded me somewhat of The Rose of Versailles, but I actually didn't find the two series that similar apart from the setting and the main characters (along with a few other superficial similarites). Chevalier is much darker and, uh, weirder, although it's still very good in its own way.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I suspect this is why ADV is looking to release it so quickly.

Well it will be interesting to see what they (fansubbers) do since an episode just came out the day before this announcement. And according to the big fansub hub, Chevalier still hasn't been placed on their licensed list yet, even thought when a series has a Geneon logo at the end of the credits they normally consider that enough to deem it licensed.

ANN wrote:
release is expected as soon as February 2007

At least their going about this the right way, by getting the dvds out to people as quick as possible, I am going to probably stop watching it (even though it so good) and wait for the DVDs....this release reminds me of Ergo Proxy which is due out next week, very quick turnaround from licensing to dvd release.

Delta
Pyoko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
this release reminds me of Ergo Proxy which is due out next week, very quick turnaround from licensing to dvd release.

Quick? Dude, it was announced way over a year ago. So it was pre-licensed and it didn't actually start airing until half a year later, but it has still been a long wait from the announcement. Razz
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

Well it will be interesting to see what they (fansubbers) do since an episode just came out the day before this announcement. And according to the big fansub hub, Chevalier still hasn't been placed on their licensed list yet, even thought when a series has a Geneon logo at the end of the credits they normally consider that enough to deem it licensed.

Delta

Well, it's not "official" until ADV makes an announcement imo.

Geneon having something does not equal Geneon Entertainment USA having it. It is clearly distinguished in the Japanese programs when Geneon USA acquires a title.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Very nice. I would have liked to have seen NewGen pictures dub this but ADV has its share of good dubs so I'm defenatly not complaining.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4