• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chiko, Heiress of the Phantom Thief.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Of course the best part is this!

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/94/1214720033365xv0.gif

spoiler[Yeah, yeah I know she force fed her poison, but meh I can dream! Laughing ]

Ha ha! You know what? I actually forgot about that. You're right, we can always dream. Wink

Perverts. Razz

Anyways, yeah, like I said, watched 9-11 yesterday. I think my favorite part of these episodes was spoiler[seeing Ken for the first time since the incident on the train. BOY has he totally shifted character.... Shocked I guess it doesn't really matter though, whether it be the dark and angsty bada** or the laid back, easy going nice guy I like him either way. Smile Based on his backstory though, put together with all of the events of the incident, honestly I can easily see why he went through such a change. Poor guy. Sad]

I too am very interested in spoiler[all this talk of "20 face's legacy" being with Chiko. She claims that he never passed anything on to her, and for the most part, for what some have assumed she has she's right, but maybe he's passed more on to her than she knows...... interesting.]

And of course being the big superpowered fighting/action type of fan I am I'm really digging the idea of spoiler[this "ultimate weapon" they've been developing being scientifically enhanced human beings.] The idea in and of itself is kind of disturbing but at the same time the actual result is kinda cool. spoiler[That white haired lady is definitely one heck of an awesome character, that's for sure. Cool]
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Of course the best part is this!

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/94/1214720033365xv0.gif

spoiler[Yeah, yeah I know she force fed her poison, but meh I can dream! Laughing ]

Ha ha! You know what? I actually forgot about that. You're right, we can always dream. Wink

Perverts. Razz

What can I say? Anime does that to you. If it weren't for anime, I probably never would have found that I'm quite fond of things such as what darkchibi07 posted. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsieczka

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote
I have finally caught up with the series and am really enjoying it. I do have to say that I would never have guessed from the first episode that it would be what it is in episode 11. I am left wondering what other surprises are waiting and i think that is one of the main points that are making like this series, you don't know where it is going next.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 12....oh damn! Well, we got some interesting revelations here! Shocked

On another note, did the OP sequence just now have added sound effects?

spoiler[With Chiko pretty much wandering around, she finally got a notice from that white-haired lady saying that she has Tome hostage in that island. That island is where that huge tank used to be and Twenty Faces' former hideout. As Chiko got there, the white-haired lady showed her Tome who's encase in stone. She then pushed off the statue in which the head broke off. Once Chiko saw it bleeding.....oh man was she in RAGE!!! Shocked Shocked

Of course Chiko's actions proved to be useless as that lady was already overly limber due to her puppet-like body. Things got worse when she used Shunks as her human shield. It is at that moment where she successfully hypnotize Chiko.

Then came that detective Akechi (remember he's the one who "challenged" Chiko into a race on who can find 20 Faces first) and that fat detective. Akechi took off his glasses, and it's revealed that he's Twenty Faces!!!! (yes, he pull a Clark Kent there)

Now things got crazier as tensions rose between 20 Faces and that lady (they had one heck of a history together), and then the hypnotized Chiko stabbed him in the back. She was then got out of that trance.

With things looking tense Ken threw a smoke flare in hope of getting everyone out of there. But that lady used that moment to snatch Chiko away. And then comes a pretty evil cliffhanger!]
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:
spoiler[Twenty Faces is alive! And he was... the most obvious person! Normally that would be dumb, but instead I got the impression that like, it was so obvious Akechi was Twenty Faces that it convinced you it couldn't be him... and then when it actually was, you were like, "Whoa... really?!?!" Hahaha.]

It's just like with when you loose something and you go looking for it. The best place for it to be hiding is right there in front of your face. Wink

Anyways, gosh darned cliffhangers!! Evil or Very Mad Anime hyper As if this series hadn't already gotten to the "can't wait for the next episode it's so exciting! Anime hyper " level already, but MAN! They at least spoiled one thing for us though, and that is indeed that spoiler[20 faces is still alive. Only this time they don't hide it from us, so I expect us to get some much needed explanations of things from his point of view.]
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
I also found spoiler[Akechi to be 20 Faces] way too obvious to actually be true. I'm guessing that's what the original creator was hoping viewers would think. spoiler[When Ken mentioned that he looked a lot like The Boss, I immediately thought he must be 20 Faces' twin brother or someone closely related.]

darkchibi07 wrote:
spoiler[(yes, he pull a Clark Kent there)]

spoiler[He didn't just pull a "Clark Kent". Not only did he take off his glasses and change his hair, but his eyebrows changed in size as well. There's no evidence that suggests that he wore a mask so I'm guessing he has a supernatural ability of changing his appearance.]

I'm still waiting for what other surprises will come up for the remaining 10 episodes in this show. spoiler[Will 20 Faces disappear once again after he deals with the white-haired lady, leaving Chiko to continue her search while discovering more secrets from his past?]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
I also found spoiler[Akechi to be 20 Faces] way too obvious to actually be true. I'm guessing that's what the original creator was hoping viewers would think. spoiler[When Ken mentioned that he looked a lot like The Boss, I immediately thought he must be 20 Faces' twin brother or someone closely related.]

Everyone looks like Twenty Faces. Or perhaps it's more accurate to say Twenty Faces looks like everyone. They did it to us twice when Chiko and Shunka went to the theater. You know who else looks similar? Chiko's father. It's not relevant, as he's dead now, but my point is that lots of the male characters have similar character designs.

I can't quite tell if people think this or not from what I'm reading, but spoiler[Akechi is not Twenty Faces. He can't be, since Akechi was chasing the dirigible while Twenty Faces et al. were onboard.]

That white-haired woman is crazy. Scary crazy. Killing people just for the heck of it.

spoiler[Is Twenty Faces invincible? We've seen him pass through roaring flames twice now, and he just survived a huge fall into the ocean (did you even need to see the preview to know he'd survive?). With all the other scientists who've shown superhuman powers, and given his own past, I wouldn't be surprised if Twenty Faces wasn't entirely human any more either.]
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I can't quite tell if people think this or not from what I'm reading, but spoiler[Akechi is not Twenty Faces. He can't be, since Akechi was chasing the dirigible while Twenty Faces et al. were onboard.]

It was explained a bit more at the beginning of episode 13. If you remember from episode 12, when spoiler[Akechi got onto the boat to go to the island, the ferryman noted "didn't I just take you there?" or something to that extent. In episode 13 Akechi himself shows up to the scene after Chiko and the rest get on the airship. There's a bit of initial confusion when Akine notices Akechi and thinks he might be Twenty Faces again, but Akechi confirms that Twenty Faces was disguising himself as Akechi.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Exaar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I think it is quite obvious that spoiler[Twenty Faces has some kind of super-power. In many ways, although it is severely understated and buried under the 'mystery show' vibe, this series is a superhero show. Scientists during a war performed all kinds of experiments that resulted in super-powered people running about... we've seen several of them so far. The show itself takes place in the aftermath of all that, but people like White-Haired Lady and Twenty Faces are relics of that past time... and given what we have seen of Twenty Faces' abilities, his completely impossible diguises, his ability to survive nearly certain death, and even his utterly improbably heists early in the show, I think it is not too far a jump to assume he has some kind of superhuman ability.

I also think he passed some of that ability onto Chiko, his 'legacy'. She has demonstrated abilities which seem extreme for a girl of her age/training on several occasions, and I am beginning to wonder if they were less just 'anime flair' and more actual in-story hints at what Twenty Faces gave to her.]
Courbet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Right well, after 3 weeks holiday, coming back I have just sessioned episodes 15 - 19 and they just confirm that this has been the star show this season in my opinion - which isnt easy, considering Frontier, CG2 et al, even the awesome Kurenai and Sould Eater (which is growing on me)

I dont want to ruin anyones viewings too so I wont go into much detail, but let me just say things really heat up and we meet characters again from episodes 8/9th and I can confirm that Akechi and 20 Faces are different people for sure.

Courbet

BTW it was nice to see epi 15/16 to be a little more light-hearted and funny. Tome riding a bike spoiler[ down some stairs into a villain only to have him draped across her in a rather inconvenient manner was a classic!]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
If only I had a better computer, I could be done. Yes, this is a great show.

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
NightxBaroness

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:17 am Reply with quote
Oh. I'll check out this anime esp when a thief is involved. lol.

I find anime thieves cooool. Very Happy They extraordinary. lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5