• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best and worst dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Jade L. wrote:
I have to agree with the Scrapped Princess dub. I recently purchased the complete collection and watched the whole thing. Excellent work by all the VAs with the exception of Pacifica. Her voice made the character annoying. It sounded like it's the same VA who did Lavie from Last Exile, who also annoyed me to no end Evil or Very Mad

Yeah, it is the same VA. It's Kari Wahlgren. I don't particularly like her voice, except for when she was Fuu in Samurai Champloo. She was perfect for that role.

Anyway, I digress. The dub of Scrapped Princess is indeed a good one, save for the casting of Pacifica. Crispin Freeman did a great job as both Shannon and as the ADR director. His performance alone was great and he really got some great performances out of the rest of the cast for the most part.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:07 am Reply with quote
mmangelly wrote:
I also feel that Shaman King, aside from the edits, was a pretty decent dub.

Up to Yoh, Hao, Amidamaru, Manta, Horo, and possibly Anna I'll agree with you; however, I think that Lyserg, Ryu and the Taos just suffered involuntary twitches as you typed that. (RICH =/= BRITISH. BRITISH = BRITISH. SHEESH.)

Anyway, I would like to agree with penguintruth on the subject of the Fullmetal Alchemist dub. Yes, it's pretty good as dubs go, but it's not nearly as good as a lot of people make it out to be, and I don't care how many fangirls he has, Vic Mignogna's Ed could have his ass kicked by Paku Romi's Ed (the 'sexiness' was ruined for me when I realized that Vic's two years older than my mom.) While the dub stuck incredibly close to the original, which I liked, some of the characters were changed to make them more accessible to American fangirls; chiefly, Ed and Roy, whom I loved in the Japanese version. In the subs, Ed is much louder and more childish sounding; his explosions of rage seem much more natural than they do when he's got the whispery-badass voice. But hey, the fangirls eat up the whispery-badass voice, even though alot of Ed's lines sound cool the first time you hear them but become incredibly stupid once you think about them. That's also sort of what happened to Roy; in the Japanese, his voice is noticeably stricter and not nearly as (okay, I'll admit it here) sexy as it is in the English version. This doesn't bother me quite as much as Ed's transformation, though, because it's still believeable and fits with the character. Still, if you've only ever seen the dub, I suppose that both voices work all right.

One of the unavoidable things that irked me about the FMA dub was the chemistry (or lack thereof) between Ed and Al in a series practically based around their chemistry. In the Japanese version, yes, Al sounds like a five year old girl, but his interaction with Ed is incredibly natural, and you could believe they were actually siblings who fought and got in each other's hair (err....helmet tassel?) but loved each other nonetheless. In the dub, Al's voice was absolutely painful to listen to (cute as heck, but my God was the acting terrible), and it honestly felt more like he and Ed were lovers than siblings (NOTE: I do NOT advocate Elricest in any way shape or form). The flatness of their relationship sort of 'killed' a lot of the spirit of the series, and it bothered me.

Of course, I loved pretty much everyone else in the dub. Izumi's performance was fantastic, and I actually did a double take when I noticed that Rose and Riza Hawkeye were both voice acted by Colleen Clinkenbeard, who did an amazing job with both of them (-shameless Riza fangirl-). The homunculi were also strikingly well cast, particularly Envy, and I have a soft spot for dub Wrath. Hohenheim, Dante, the one-shot townsfolk, Roy's subordinates, they all had great voice actors who really fit the roles; I just wish that the same could be said for the main characters.

-phew- I know that turned into a rant, so I'll try to keep my last problem with the FMA dub brief and to the point:

"Give Mom a hug, my prince of cool."

......Uh???

Now to talk about probably my favorite dub of all time: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I can't gush enough about how much I love this dub. The cast is fantastic, the script is fantastic, the acting is fantastic....I think the only time I watched anything GitS related with the sub cast was when I watched the first movie (which made me sleepy.) I'm especially glad that SAC has such a high quality dub, as it leaves me free to focus on the animation and action instead of having to read subtitles. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's lower voice is absolutely perfect for Kusanagi, Richard Epcar counters as a serious and yet strangely squishable Batou (-FANGIRL SQUEAL!-) and William Frederick Knight has seriously made me consider becoming an Aramaki fangirl. The dialogue intensity of the whole series just adds to the quality of the dub; the character monologues are all incredibly well done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:39 am Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
One of the unavoidable things that irked me about the FMA dub was the chemistry (or lack thereof) between Ed and Al in a series practically based around their chemistry. In the Japanese version, yes, Al sounds like a five year old girl, but his interaction with Ed is incredibly natural, and you could believe they were actually siblings who fought and got in each other's hair (err....helmet tassel?) but loved each other nonetheless. In the dub, Al's voice was absolutely painful to listen to (cute as heck, but my God was the acting terrible), and it honestly felt more like he and Ed were lovers than siblings (NOTE: I do NOT advocate Elricest in any way shape or form). The flatness of their relationship sort of 'killed' a lot of the spirit of the series, and it bothered me.

Have to totally disagree here. The one time I did hear the subtitled version (for the movie), I couldn't stand Al's girly-sounding voice in Japanese. I thought Vic handled the emotions at least as well and had a quite acceptable chemistry going on with Ed; the only part of Vic's performance I didn't like was when he was trying to make himself sound kiddy-aged. Al's voice sounded more age-appropriate to me because, if I have my facts correctly, the English VA is much closer to Al's actual age than the Japanese VA is - and, again, it's a genuinely male voice.

The too-girly sounds to both of their voices in Japanese made it difficult for me to tolerate the Japanese version, despite good performances otherwise. I'll stick with the English dub and being in the "it's one of the better ones out there" camp.

EDIT: Corrected parts in bold because I got my character names mixed up (see later posts in this thread).

Last edited by Key on Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
Best dub for me was Rahxephon. I thought every character had a voice that really suited them, and the dialogue flowed really smoothly. In fact, I thought the voices were more interesting in the dub than the original, and the entire cast was more lively and memorable. Needless to say, I enjoy the dub far much more than the sub.
UKfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
The two that immediantly spring to mind are:

Worse Dub: Pilot Candidate, really, really poor dub. The characters all sounded flat and bored and didn't really get any feeling across. I ended up watching it in japanese with the Dubtitles on.

Best Dub: Ghost in the Shell SAC/ Innocence- I love the voices on these and hope the dub for Solid State Society is of the same quality. The voices really match the characters and work well together and considering the amout of technobable that can seep in they handled it really well.. I love the Tachikoma voices as well.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:33 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Ed's voice sounded more age-appropriate to me because, if I have my facts correctly, the English VA is much closer to Ed's actual age than the Japanese VA is - and, again, it's a genuinely male voice.

Do you mean Al? Because Ed's 16-18 and Vic is much older than that.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Key wrote:
Ed's voice sounded more age-appropriate to me because, if I have my facts correctly, the English VA is much closer to Ed's actual age than the Japanese VA is - and, again, it's a genuinely male voice.

I still don't see the argument; he did a great job, acting-wise.

While I do understand the case that some Anime characters' voices can sound somewhat more mature than their Japanese counterparts, as long as they do a good job, acting-wise, then that slightly discomforting aspect disappears. Vic Mignogna's Edward is a good example, and, perhaps to a lesser extent, Pazu in Disney's Laputa--he didn't exactly sound like a fourteen year old, true, but at least it wasn't done that unbelievably (the animation of Pazu in that film sometimes portrays him as younger than that, and at other times older), and he did do a credible job overall. (Plus, I felt he was less shrill than the Japanese female VA, so that's a plus.)

-Jon T.
mmangelly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
mmangelly wrote:

Up to Yoh, Hao, Amidamaru, Manta, Horo, and possibly Anna I'll agree with you; however, I think that Lyserg, Ryu and the Taos just suffered involuntary twitches as you typed that. (RICH =/= BRITISH. BRITISH = BRITISH. SHEESH.)

I can certainly agree with you there. What I kept telling myself when I was watching it was that those characters (the ones you listed as bad) possibly would have sounded fine if the weird dialects weren't used.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Key wrote:

I still don't see the argument; he did a great job, acting-wise.

No argument here, I'm just noting that Vic is much older than Ed, while Aaron Dismuke is about the age of Al.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:53 pm Reply with quote
mmangelly wrote:
Murasakisuishou wrote:
mmangelly wrote:

I can certainly agree with you there. What I kept telling myself when I was watching it was that those characters (the ones you listed as bad) possibly would have sounded fine if the weird dialects weren't used.

I still have nightmares about Ryu's dub voice to this day....Although I must admit that the dub of episode 46 (where Ren gets in that fight with his cousins or whatever they were) was hysterical. It was literally half an hour of people with high-pitched shrieky British accents screaming at each other. Priceless x) I also have this imagined dialogue in my head from where the gang first met Lyserg:

"Yeah, I'm from England."
"But wait! You don't have an accent!"
"That's 'cause Ren has the accent already."
"But he's Chinese!"
"But he's smart and wealthy so he merits a British accent."

-sigh-

With regard to my comments about the FMA dub, I still think it's an excellent dub with a lot of very talented actors (watching the dub got me hooked on the series), but now that I've heard the Japanese I just like the subbed version more. It's not like I refuse to watch the dub or anything because "OMG FUNI ARE T3H EBIL!"; I usually do if it's late at night and I'm too tired to read subtitles. To each their own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Lady Sango wrote:

On a side note:I know a lot of people don't like Richard Cox, but I like his acting more since seeing him on Breaker High. Is it just me or does Johnny Young Bosch sound really different since his Power Ranger days?

I remember Breaker High! Tony (his character) is totally different from Inuyasha.

Best Dub: Samurai X: Reflection had voices that sounded realistic and the acting fitted the melodramatic mood. Trust and Betrayal had excellent acting as well, but Tomoe's voice sounded like she was reading off of the script. I haven't seen a lot of Hellsing, but from what I did see it was pretty good. I've seen some of Gundam Seed Destiny on TV and compared to the other Gundam series, the acting is pretty good.

I can't think of any others but Dragon Ball was pretty decent. It had the best acting out of all of the Dragon Ball series.

Worst Dub: Rave Master. Oh dear, that dub is horrible! The manga is alright, as well as the original Japanese anime, but the dubbed verison killed it.

EDIT: I forgot to add Mew Mew Power to the worst list. Oh dear, the script they used and their voices were so bad! The Japanese version is a lot better! Pretty much North Americanized anime has the worst dubbed. The first two seconds of Sailor Moon had the best acting for butchered anime when it reached the other side of the ocean, but the thrid and fourth season was horrible! Rini's and the original voices were good, the others --BAD!
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I actually already made a list a few months ago of what I considered to be the best dubs I've heard. It hasn't changed since then so I can just copy & paste that here:

PantsGoblin wrote:
Cowboy Bebop - I did watch some of the sub of this, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it was just because I was just more attached and used to the American voice actors at the time, but I still prefer this in dubbed form. I just can't see Spike talking in Japanese...

Samurai Champloo - Even though this anime takes place in Japan, it just feels right to me to hear it in English since the style of the show is obviously American influenced and American aimmed. The Baseball episode is the only exception, because, well, Engrish is hilarious.

Fullmetal Alchemist - To tell you the truth, while I love the subbed version of it also, the dub is just so well done, I prefer it over the subs. Ed certainly sounds a lot different in Japanese, but I feel they made the right choice in changing how he sounds. They're just different styles, and to me, both of them are great in their own ways.

Excel Saga - This one may just be because it was one of my first anime, and I found the dub hilarious. I know some people who find it annoying though, since Excel sound, um, somewhat iritating and upleasent to the ear to many people. But, I think it fits her, she is supposed to be annoying, which is part of what makes her funny. There is actually one episode I prefer in Japanese, and that's the episode where they travel to the US. I just can't stand how they change the Americans to speaking Spanish, once again, Engrish is FAR funnier imo.

I think there may be a few more I'm forgetting but those are the main ones that I will always watch the English over the Japanese version.

Edit: I suppose I can add some that I don't prefer either way and will watch them in either English or Japanese.

Genshiken - I know... most people didn't think the dub was that great of this. Personally, I did like it though, although Madarame is still better in Japanese, imo, I still like it enough that I don't mind watching it either way.

Galaxy Angel - From a fan point of view, I love the Japanese voices in every way over the English and if asked which one I liked better, I will always choose the Japanese over English. But that's mainly just a fan thing since it has my favorite group of seiyuu in an anime ever. From a more technical point of view, both the dub and sub are equal to me. At least, almost, I still don't love Forte's voice, but other than that, the cast is right on. I must say that I particularly love Milfeulle's English voice and they couldn't have had a better voice actor to follow up on Ryoko's performance.

Hare+Guu - It took me a bit to get used to Hare, since he sounded a bit different, but after a few episodes I got used to his English voice. In particular, I prefer Weda's English voice over the Japanese. I have no preference on this one, I like both of them equally.

Full Metal Panic! - Probably the anime that is most equal out of any other anime I have watched. I think I've watched both the dub and the sub about the same as much. Both of them are great imo.

Comic Party - I haven't watched the TRSI's dub of Ninja Nonsense yet, but if it's anywhere as good as this one, I can say that I'll love it. Taishi's voice was right on, so much that it amazed me. I honestly didn't think they'd be able to match the absolutely hilarious Japanese voice actor for him, but they somehow did it, and perfectly I might add.

As for worst dubs I haven't made a list of that. So I can make that now...

A.LI.CE - By far the worst dub I have ever heard. Apparently they didn't have enough actors to even hire a female voice for one of the female characters (and my god was it creepy to hear that character voiced by a guy). The voices for the dub probably weren't listed for a reason. They didn't want to embarrass the actors by giving out their names. My friend (who is generally pretty good at identifying dub voices) couldn't identify them either. The dub may actually work for a few good laughs watching it with friends but other than that, skip it.

Love Hina - I think most people know this dub wasn't that great. Kitsune's voice was by far the worst and is really what ruined it for me mainly.

My-HiME - In all honesty I don't think it was horrible, but I don't think it was great either. Either way, it's not one of my favorites, as I think the Japanese version is superb. I just don't see the dub as living up to it.

Actually that's all I can think of. There really any dubs I think are horrible except a few. I prefer subs but I don't think dubs are as horrible as many other sub fans make them out to be...
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Worst Dub:

Escaflowne: Don't get me wrong, Escaflowne is an excellent series, but all the VA's for the dub didn't match the voices of the characters at all and all of the VA's sounded very monotone throughout the series. Also, there were many script errors in the English dub. In episode 2, spoiler[a soldier starts shouting about an attack by an unknown enemy in the Japanese version and in the dub, he starts shouting that Zaibach was attacking,and then some other soldiers start informing Balgus that an unknown enemy was attacking them. They actually find out Fanalia was attacked by Zaibach in episode 3.] Plus, Dilandau and his Dragonslayers just sounded like little girls.

Best Dub:

Big O: Personally, this is the only dub that I ever enjoyed. The VA's matched the personality and appearance of the characters and I just felt that they were more suitable than the Japanese VA's. It gets pretty annoying after hearing the majority of the characters speaking Engrish over and over again.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
Worst Dub:

Escaflowne: Don't get me wrong, Escaflowne is an excellent series, but all the VA's for the dub didn't match the voices of the characters at all and all of the VA's sounded very monotone throughout the series. Also, there were many script errors in the English dub. In episode 2, spoiler[a soldier starts shouting about an attack by an unknown enemy in the Japanese version and in the dub, he starts shouting that Zaibach was attacking,and then some other soldiers start informing Balgus that an unknown enemy was attacking them. They actually find out Fanalia was attacked by Zaibach in episode 3.] Plus, Dilandau and his Dragonslayers just sounded like little girls.

I do admit that Escaflowne isn't the best dub I've ever seen, hence why I've placed it on my "OK" dubs, but in spite of the script errors you mentioned and some off voices, there were some who I thought were done well that made the dub at least watchable for me--Van was very good, as was Allan, Merle, and Dornkirk. Folken is noticeably deadpan, but it works in favor of his character. And think of it this way, it could've been worse--the dub on the DVD could have been the infamous FOX edit. At least the DVD does not have that, so no problems there.

So while Escaflowne isn't the best dub I've seen, it's certainly not the worst either; and there are some noteworthy performances to be heard. It certainly doesn't offend me like it did fans of the original (admittingly Higher-caliber) Japanese (Dilandau notwithstanding), and for fans who don't like subs, it's not too bad IMO.

-Jon T.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5