• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood -[adult swim] (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:02 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I would love to see if people who discarded this series as just another rehash watched this episode but I am just certain that they would bitch about the boob joke.

I thought the episode was fine and took things in an interestingly different direction. I certainly didn't expect to see spoiler[Lust die this early, or Hoenheim to pop up at the end] and found spoiler[Al's arm dropping off while talking to Winry] to be one of the rare instances where this version's different sense of comedy actually worked correctly. Man, this version is quite a bit more graphic, too.

If you're looking for me to say, "oh, man, this was sooo awesome that it just blows away the first series," though, you won't hear that. I find this series more interesting now that it's into new material, and solid in execution, but still not necessarily better than what the first series did in terms of writing and story content.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 19 is definitely my favorite episode of Brotherhood thus far (and with only a few episodes left that I haven't seen, it probably won't be dethroned), and Funimation handled it pretty well.

However, as good as Willingham's Roy had gotten, I felt like was really dropping the ball in the key scene. He sounded awful through most of that. The Japanese VA just sounded more powerful in the scene.

But I guess it's balanced out by the fact that Colleen Clinkenbeard's performance completely blew away the Japanese VA for Riza. I felt like the Japanese VA sounded too much like a little weeping girl, but Clinkenbeard made her sound like a devastated full-grown woman.

spoiler[It's a shame Laura Bailey and Jerry Jewell make their exit in this episode, because they both really did a great job.]

I thought the script was pretty good, too. They took a few liberties, but they all ended up sounding pretty good.

I still thought the Japanese version handled it a little better, but the English dub did a fine job itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:56 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
I would love to see if people who discarded this series as just another rehash watched this episode but I am just certain that they would bitch about the boob joke.

I thought the episode was fine and took things in an interestingly different direction. I certainly didn't expect to see spoiler[Lust die this early, or Hoenheim to pop up at the end] and found spoiler[Al's arm dropping off while talking to Winry] to be one of the rare instances where this version's different sense of comedy actually worked correctly. Man, this version is quite a bit more graphic, too.

I actually think that was one of the funniest moments too so far, along with Hawkeye's comedic shooting and capturing of Barry in the alley. The Mustang fake phone conversations were pretty good and the Armstrong humor is ofcourse still the same lol. To the first series' credit, once again in this version to me the best stuff is still outside of the super-deformed moments.

I can't really a "better" either, IMO since we've gotten to the new stuff the episodes of both series so far that were packed with either character or intense events like these were both successfully gripping so you couldn't put it down, it's very satisfying that the new version does indeed hold it's own now that we're into the new material especially considering the strengths of the first series.

Yeah, spoiler[ that episode finale was damned intense ], the acting was generally at the top of it's game, though maybe I'm biased due to loving the cast already from before, and quite powerful I thought especially in the spoiler[two big showdown rooms, wow at the excellent job on the prolonged Lust screaming, she did a great job on that, and the conviction of everyone's dialogue voices as well]. Good reminder of how good this cast was at these in the first series.

penguintruth wrote:
Episode 19 is definitely my favorite episode of Brotherhood thus far (and with only a few episodes left that I haven't seen, it probably won't be dethroned), and Funimation handled it pretty well.

But I guess it's balanced out by the fact that Colleen Clinkenbeard's performance completely blew away the Japanese VA for Riza. I felt like the Japanese VA sounded too much like a little weeping girl, but Clinkenbeard made her sound like a devastated full-grown woman.

spoiler[It's a shame Laura Bailey and Jerry Jewell make their exit in this episode, because they both really did a great job.]

Out of curiosity, how many more did did you wait? I really enjoyed the first series this way and with how successful it was it was obvious they'd bring back the majority of the cast so I stopped after one or two once I was confident how different it was going to be.

So true, her Hawkeye was fantastic.

spoiler[ I know man, they were so good at their roles, naturally I'm surprised about Lust, and it's obvious what Barry going like that accomplishes but still I'll miss that performance lol.].

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:30 am; edited 7 times in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

If you're looking for me to say, "oh, man, this was sooo awesome that it just blows away the first series," though, you won't hear that. I find this series more interesting now that it's into new material, and solid in execution, but still not necessarily better than what the first series did in terms of writing and story content.

Do I expect a series at 19 episodes out of 64 to blow away a 51 episode + movie? Unless the 51 + movie series sucked completely than no. That's been my problem with people expectation who fully expect the manga to blow the entire anime away in the first chapter. At this point the anime had just gotten to the 5th Labratory.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Now that this episode has aired, I can say that Yoshimichi Kameda animated the scene spoiler[with Roy burning Lust to a crisp]. Kameda is also credited as doing in-between animation along with key animation for this episode, so he probably drew every cel-- or pretty close to it-- for those cuts.

Hironori Tanaka did the scene with spoiler[Hawkeye facing down Gluttony up until the shot showing Mustang's face after he blew him out of the building.]This episode is my favorite in the series (at least where I left it--around ep. 45). Made me change my mind about Brotherhood and I haven't been disappointed with sticking through it ever since.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I always knew that Roy Mustang was a badass but the fight between him and Lust was OH WOW! Excellently done! Both with animation and with the VA work. I certainly didn't expect spoiler[Lust to die this early. Looking forward to seeing how Gluttony reacts to this.]

And the scene with Riza spoiler[screaming about Mustang] had me in tears. Very gripping. Ms. Clinkenbeard is one hell of a VA and I've like her for years. This entire episode proves how good she is.

As for the boob joke, yeah, it was funny and so very typical of a man's thought process! Wink
drdr48

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Now that this episode has aired, I can say that Yoshimichi Kameda animated the scene spoiler[with Roy burning Lust to a crisp]. Kameda is also credited as doing in-between animation along with key animation for this episode, so he probably drew every cel-- or pretty close to it-- for those cuts.

Hironori Tanaka did the scene with spoiler[Hawkeye facing down Gluttony up until the shot showing Mustang's face after he blew him out of the building.]This episode is my favorite in the series (at least where I left it--around ep. 45). Made me change my mind about Brotherhood and I haven't been disappointed with sticking through it ever since.

How do you know all of that?
braves

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:
How do you know all of that?
That's...a very good question! I'll try my best to answer so early in the morning.

Unlike most American animation, where the animator is discouraged from showcasing his or her individualistic traits, the system for animating in Japan has actually allowed for animators to showcase their particular style; even if it's totally different from the rest of what the show looks like. That's how certain animators can get a good reputation in sakuga (animation) circles. They consistently create animation that can identified by fans-- on top of creating good stuff, of course. Some animators are easier to identify than others, reading the credits at the end of the episode helps, and I think 2ch has a lot to do with providing the information on who did what. Laughing

As for those two animators, Tanaka has done tons of work in the past 6 or so years (just look at his profile aside from the erroneous editing credit on ANN). He has a very distinct style. IIRC, I learned of him watching by this video(taken from ep. 31 of Brotherhood) and further researching his profile on Sakuga@wiki (which can at times be unreliable, but I think it's pretty good). I learned of Kameda by watching this one(spoiler for ep. 45 of Brotherhood) and also checking out his profile on Sakuga@wiki. I also follow these two blogs in order to learn about animators or just animation in general.

You can see a bunch of "sakuga" videos if you just type that into Youtube. While some might think it's unreliable because you're relying on someone else's eyes, I think it's a good way to at least learn of an animator's specific traits. Not to mention that you have to get this information from somebody more often than not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Do I expect a series at 19 episodes out of 64 to blow away a 51 episode + movie? Unless the 51 + movie series sucked completely than no. That's been my problem with people expectation who fully expect the manga to blow the entire anime away in the first chapter. At this point the anime had just gotten to the 5th Labratory.

Except length and quantity has nothing to do with it. When Hellsing Ultimate got made, people immediately started lavishing it with praise while comparing it to the (inferior) TV series after only the first episode came out.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Except length and quantity has nothing to do with it. When Hellsing Ultimate got made, people immediately started lavishing it with praise while comparing it to the (inferior) TV series after only the first episode came out.

That because the Hellsing TV series did suck completely. The last half was a joke, the animation and character designs where inconsistent, and usually bad with Alucard looking more like Howard Stern than the manga version of Alucard. The difference in talent was simply enormous.
kpk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

the animation and character designs where inconsistent,

FMA: Brotherhood.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:52 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

the animation and character designs where inconsistent,

FMA: Brotherhood.

Animation is heavily dependant on budget, the problem is that Hellsing was mediocre at best but usually horrible.
Ranma87

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:17 am Reply with quote
This series is getting good, looking forward to episode 20.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:
This series is getting good, looking forward to episode 20.

I have to say that Saturday's episode was the first of this series that made me sit upright and go "OH MY GOD!" - And that was mainly because of finally seeing how much of a badass Roy really is. There were hints of it in FMA but FMA:B has shown, with the fight between him and Lust, how badass he really is. I had to stop, back up and watch again 3 times that fight...and when I get my hands on the dvd...I'll do it again because I know that I've missed something.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:48 am Reply with quote
I really have to complain about Hohenheim, the scting was like a bored Gendo Ikari, completely emotionless. Considering how much more important Hohenheim was for this series I would have expected them to take better care at making him sound right. The Japanese Hohenheim was one of the best cast characters, a deep commanding voice that gave him this badass edge to him.

Overall the acting was hit or miss, with Vic in particular being erratic with his acting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 28