• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What do you think about this?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Real

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I have a question I have been woundering about for some time that I haven't seen realy adressed since I have been posting on this site.

Are all animes based on a manga series that has already been writen or are most just animes?

I have noticed that more then a few animes, mostly the very popular ones, have been based of an anime series that has or is still exhisting.

To name a few Beserk, Bleach, Hellsing, and the list goes on. The thing of it is I don't read manga at all, I just watch anime and love these shows. From what I understand on the most part the mangas are better then the show.

I realy wounder if I am missing out by not reading the mangas of these shows, or are the basicly the same. Which would be more to my benifit as a lover of anime to "take in" (watch or read), and get the most out of it.

I know this has alot to do with personal preference, but from time to time I do pick up a book and read it. Only if the story intrests me. To name a few books that i have read and realy enjoyed: Most of Magic the Gathering, book series, Forgoten Relms: Drizzit and friends, a few others that dont come to mind as stedily as those series do.

I think the thing I realy would like to know is even though they a comic book style of reading, can i still get the "love" of the series out of them as i have with the others?

I have never been a big fan of the comic book style just because i feel that it greatly limits what happens from page to page, and in the animes I belive that they can have 2-3(max of 3) manga books in one episode.

Please coment on eall of this, even the amount of episodes to the manga books.

-Thank you for your postings on this subject.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
No, not all animes are based on mangas. A lot are though. Animes are often based on video games too. Ya, I read some manga, something that's different though is that the art style often greatly differs in manga and its anime form. I know some people who have been turned off from some mangas just because they couldn't stand the art style. Mangas usually go into much more depth than the anime and continue its story. Basically, yes, often times you are missing out on a lot if you don't read the manga (for better or worse sometimes).
CyberViper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Not all anime is based off manga. A good portion of romance anime is based off of video games. Ren'ai games, or dating-simulation games/romantic love, games. Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is an anime that origination from one of these games, along with many more.

I beleive The 12 Kingdoms is based off of a novel (I'm not 100% sure of this thought, I read it somewhere...) And although the anime stops it can be continued in the novel.

Some anime is based off of live-action films (just as anime can be turned into live-action films.) Iria-Zeiram the Animation is based off a live-action film.

Also, anime series can differ greatly from the manga. Although I haven't read it, one of my friends told me that Excel Saga anime is nothing like the manga.

I used to just watch anime as well, but a friend introduced me to Trigun Maximum, which picks up at a point through the Trigun anime and continues along a different path. I don't think you're really 'missing out' by not reading the manga, but it's defintely a different experience from watching anime, or reading a book. It can be very entertaining at times, and is more dynamic than just sitting there watching anime.

I also have never even read, let alone seen a comic book in my life. And when I came to college the people I met here talked a lot about them. (Until I came to college I didn't think comic books ACTUALLY existed. I just read funny comic books, but not the kind everyone else talked about!) However...I have yet to see an actual american comic book.

Manga is a better way to see what was going on in the original artists mind, in my opinion. And i'm enjoying it quite a bit so in the future I might start reading more.
Alter User Kazuma

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I used to just watch anime as well, but a friend introduced me to Trigun Maximum, which picks up at a point through the Trigun anime and continues along a different path.

I'm pretty sure Trigun Maximum is the original and Trigun the anime is an adaptation... or at least so says the encyclopedia, anyway.

And yes, it's just most animes are based off of manga. But a lot of the great ones started as an anime and not a manga, especially Escaflowne(and a lot of other Sunrise shows) and Evangelion(and a lot of other Gainax shows).
CyberViper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Alter User Kazuma wrote:

I'm pretty sure Trigun Maximum is the original and Trigun the anime is an adaptation... or at least so says the encyclopedia, anyway.

Well new issues are still coming out. I just finished reading 6...and my friend just got 7.
2Real

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
CyberViper wrote:
, but it's defintely a different experience from watching anime, or reading a book. It can be very entertaining at times, and is more dynamic than just sitting there watching anime.

I also have never even read, let alone seen a comic book in my life.

I was just using a comparison as to the way manga is portraied. Although i have never once picked up a manga "book"
they have the writen and ilustrated parts to them, basicly a comic book format (it has the same presentation, look, as a comic book).

Through watching anime, and reading some posts on here, I have seen more then a few people coment on the difference, or simalarities between the manga and the anime. Because of this, I have woundered as to whata it is im am missing out on by not reading the manga. Aprently MOST mangas go deeper into the story/continue it, were the anime leaves off.

Thus, i brought up the questions that i have. I;d also like to use this comparison: When you watch an anime, then the show comes out with a OVA or a movie, that is a continuation, not a retelling or alternate endin, of the show. Is that Basicly what a animated version of a manga is?
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Alter User Kazuma wrote:
Quote:

I used to just watch anime as well, but a friend introduced me to Trigun Maximum, which picks up at a point through the Trigun anime and continues along a different path.

The original name of the manga was simply Trigun. If I recall correctly, the manga switched publishers and thus had to change the name for subsequent volumes, resulting in the rest of the series being called Trigun Maximum. Whether I have the details right or not, I can conclusively say that you may as well drop the Maximum from Trigun Maximum.
patch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Two of the best anime titles IMHO are not based on manga and are original works:

Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo
Puppy Puncher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:36 pm Reply with quote
patch wrote:
Two of the best anime titles IMHO are not based on manga and are original works:

I think Tokyopop is releasing Samurai Champloo manga. Not sure if it came before or after show.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:24 am Reply with quote
Puppy Puncher wrote:
patch wrote:

I think Tokyopop is releasing Samurai Champloo manga. Not sure if it came before or after show.

After.

2Real wrote:

and in the animes I belive that they can have 2-3(max of 3) manga books in one episode.

Your belief is incorrect.

Most popular anime series have a pace of one episode per manga chapter. Nobody thinks in terms of books/volumes. Sometimes they combine elements of multiple chapters in a single episode (Midori Days, for example, had really short chapters), and then there are the anime-to-manga adaptations like Wolf's Rain which are insane and somehow contain half the anime series in a single manga volume.

However, I have never heard of an anime that contained 2-3 manga volumes' worth of content in a single episode, and that anime would have to be either incomprehensibly fast-paced just to get all the plot in, or the original manga would have to have been retardedly slow. (Even Aria, the manga that notoriously has no plot and just sits around being cute, gets one anime episode per book chapter.)
2Real

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
[

However, I have never heard of an anime that contained 2-3 manga volumes' worth of content in a single episode

No i think you are misunderstandin me, What i am TRYING to say is: each manga "book/comic/volume" that comes out, 2-3 of those, are incorperated into one(1) 30(thiirty) munite episode that aires on TV.

I will try to give a example.

in the manga, say Bleach (the TV show that is curently airing in Japan) Shows episode one. In the manga( I guese that each "book" that comes out is refered to as a "volume") "book" 1 and 2 are both in episode one (1) of the show (that is premering in Japan once a week, on Tuesdays).

Basicly for every 2 manga books that come out 1 episode of the anime is made. Is what i am guessing, due to the fact that a 15 page book can probly not hold 30 munites of a anime.

So, is that how all manga to anime shows are made or dose it vary acording to the content within the anime it's self?

Do the Hellsing episodes( of the anime) con tain 6 or 24 of the manga "books/volumes", in other words , manga has 1 "book" or comic releced per time period (in this case I'll use a mounth).

So, the hellsing is (anime) series is an abirveation of the manga or a "retelling" of it, or a longer version?

........This is hard because I don't know how to exactly put this.

When a manga is made into an anime, is the story shorten or lenghtened?

Is thte story line made more in depth or shortened?

Do i lose out on the story or am i given more of it, through watching the anime?
msi435

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:52 am Reply with quote
2Real wrote:

When a manga is made into an anime, is the story shorten or lenghtened?

Is thte story line made more in depth or shortened?

Do i lose out on the story or am i given more of it, through watching the anime?

It depends on the anime. Some anime follow manga to a certain point and then break off. Others are loosely base it upon the manga ect, ect. Basically what I am saying is if you want a straight answer you need to ask about a specific series. All anime series adapted from manga are changed at the discretion of the ones who are creating it. There is no way to answer in general weather the anime gives you more information than the manga. If anything, the form of media (anime or manga) that came first would be more accurate to the original creators idea, thus making it the most definite form of "truth". If the Bleach manga came out first, then what ever is the story in that is the manga would be more accurate then what the anime is... this is because the anime is an adaptation of the manga (not the other way around).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gauss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:45 am Reply with quote
2Real wrote:

Through watching anime, and reading some posts on here, I have seen more then a few people coment on the difference, or simalarities between the manga and the anime. Because of this, I have woundered as to whata it is im am missing out on by not reading the manga. Aprently MOST mangas go deeper into the story/continue it, were the anime leaves off.

The rule of thumb is that the original manga is better than the anime. So if you liked an anime, chances are you will like the manga even more.

The reverse is even more true. An original anime is always better than a manga based on the show. There are cases where an anime based on a manga surpasses the original, but IMO a manga has never surpassed the original anime yet. A derived manga can still be good but usually they are bitter disappointments.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:12 am Reply with quote
2Real wrote:
Patachu wrote:
[

However, I have never heard of an anime that contained 2-3 manga volumes' worth of content in a single episode

No i think you are misunderstandin me, What i am TRYING to say is: each manga "book/comic/volume" that comes out, 2-3 of those, are incorperated into one(1) 30(thiirty) munite episode that aires on TV.

I will try to give a example.

in the manga, say Bleach (the TV show that is curently airing in Japan) Shows episode one. In the manga( I guese that each "book" that comes out is refered to as a "volume") "book" 1 and 2 are both in episode one (1) of the show (that is premering in Japan once a week, on Tuesdays).

Basicly for every 2 manga books that come out 1 episode of the anime is made. Is what i am guessing, due to the fact that a 15 page book can probly not hold 30 munites of a anime.

So, is that how all manga to anime shows are made or dose it vary acording to the content within the anime it's self?

Do the Hellsing episodes( of the anime) con tain 6 or 24 of the manga "books/volumes", in other words , manga has 1 "book" or comic releced per time period (in this case I'll use a mounth).

Actually, I think YOU are misunderstanding ME.

I don't know what you think you're talking about when you say "book," but most manga and anime fans agree that a "book" or "volume" of manga (see also: Tankoubon) is 180-200 pages of paper containing picture-stories about your favorite spiky-haired Japanese characters running around and fighting each other with magical powers.

FOR EXAMPLE: This is a picture of Volume 4 of "Bleach." It is 192 pages long.

Each volume of manga usually contains 6-8 chapters. A chapter is normally about 24 or 32 pages long. 1 or 2 chapters usually contain enough material for one anime episode.

From basic math, you can see that for every 2 "manga books" that come out, there is enough material for anywhere between 6 to 16 anime episodes!

There is no such thing as this "15 page book" that you speak of. In Japan, Manga does not come out in the floppy-magazine format of American comic books.

There are 20 volumes of Bleach manga published in Japan right now, and 62+ anime episodes. If they really were making "2-3 books per episode," shouldn't there be about 150 volumes of Bleach?
2Real

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

From basic math, you can see that for every 2 "manga books" that come out, there is enough material for anywhere between 6 to 16 anime episodes!

Thank you, that has given me a very good idea as to how the manga to anime is accomplished. I had no idea that the mangas had 200 pages in each of them at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2