• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Not Anime/Manga but related

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:18 am Reply with quote
For while now I've been bothered by the quantity of titles and information submitted for "not anime/manga but related". Since they dilute the purpose of the encyclopedia, I've decided to take them off the list page. They are still in the encyclopedia, but now the main method of access will be through green links and "related anime" links, as it was originally intended.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:35 am Reply with quote
Of course I understand that the main purpose of ANN is to provide information on Japanese anime and Japanese Manga. Moreover, the flood of non-anime, non-manga titles is certainly growing.
However, being the only trustworthy source of information on a bigger scale for Korean manhwa, I think it's a pity to block that information in the future (not that I'm a big fan of manhwa, but I can understand those who are). For many of those entries, there is no green link, nor a related anime-link, so the only possibility is to use the search function. That is, if entering information can be continued in the future (with priority to Japanese entries, of course)

(Maybe there's somebody who wants to start the Manhwa News Network Smile)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:36 am Reply with quote
woelfie wrote:
Of course I understand that the main purpose of ANN is to provide information on Japanese anime and Japanese Manga.

Actually, the main purpose is anime. While manga is very closely related, it is not part of the main focus.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote
[Do not double post. Use the Edit Button. --Nagi]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Circle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Aw, I was looking for that category just now because Oban Star Racers was there. But now I see it's been moved to regular anime list under "O."

I guess I'm indifferent about this change, as long as live-action sequels/re-makes are still listed in "related anime" then I'm still happy.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
But still. Did you have to remove "not anime/manga but related"? Now how am I suppose to find non-animes that are still on the Encyclopedia? Where's the green link?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
But still. Did you have to remove "not anime/manga but related"? Now how am I suppose to find non-animes that are still on the Encyclopedia? Where's the green link?

That's what the Search function is for. Duh!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:16 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Riyousha wrote:

That's what the Search function is for. Duh!

For once, I agree with Riyousha—removing the catagory link makes it un-obvious that such films exist in the Encyclopedia, and while the search function is okay on the computer from which I'm posting this, in the past I have found it to be very slow, much more so than clicking a link. (Possibly this latter problem has been solved.)
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:51 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
removing the catagory link makes it un-obvious that such films exist in the Encyclopedia

Yes, that was the whole idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1