• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Aesthetically Daring Tournament: Nominations (ABOUT TO START)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Why don't you nominate them?
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I also slightly disagree with Key's discounting of Spirited Away and initially almost didn't vote for it for those reasons. But on further consideration I realized it really is "daring" in it grandiosity and scope of creativity. And not just because it is often beautiful and exquisitely executed but the constant barage of fantastic scenes and character designs that are very unique. And have you considered the amount of grotesqueness in the movie? Chihiro's parents turning into pigs; the baby; the heads; the giant fat, sweaty daikon spirit; the polluted river spirit; No Face eating everything and everyone and barfing them out...
That's not standard "safe" stuff.

And not that beauty and execution should be automatically discounted (as long as they aren't overly considered). Are David Lean's Lawrence of Arabia or Dr. Zhivago not aesthetically daring just because they're big budget epics?
If anime is done at at such a grand scale as Spirited Away and does things others just couldn't dream up the way it does.... I think that counts as daring.

Also, Chihiro's character design in itself is daring. It's very different from conventional manga girl designs, previous Miyazaki films and Miyazaki himself said just after making Princess Mononoke (whose main characters had more conventional designs) to make a film where a children can be cute without being super deformed by reproducing the more subtle aspects of the way a children acts while preserving a more realistic design (one can even tell she is supposed to be Asian!). That was done precisely in Spirited Away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:58 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Why don't you nominate them?

Because I am extremely lazy, but hey it is not like I have anything better to do.
Nominating: The Tatami Galaxy
Definitely one of the most visually interesting shows ever created,basically nothing looks even remotely similar to this anime.Character designs are based on Yusuke Nakamura's illustrations , which are known for unusual combination ukiyo-e(objects in his illustrations are very flat and one-sided)and pop art.Yuasa takes this combination and makes it meaningful.The show is set in Kyoto , which is known for mixture of archaic and modern architecture , so the characters come off as natural product of living in that city.Due to the vivid backgrounds and heavy integration of live action , the city of Kyoto becomes a character , every shot of Kyoto is full of personality that after a while you really start to think of it as living being.I might as well say that integration of live action becomes crucial to theme of the show,because it was used as way to create a border between self-imposed illusion of grandeur and harsh reality. The animation is of course absolutely astonishing.It communicates so much to the viewer, even the simplest things like walking tell us a lot about a charcater.Direction is top notch with a lot variety of style but at a same time it feels very tight.Every shot ,every came angle is very textured and it always has some purpose and idea to deliver.And it absolutely nails comedic , dramatic or erotic scenes.I must mention that in episode 10 , every single element worked wonderfully that for it felt like 20 minutes of pure bliss.The coloring in this this show is erratic and dazzling , in order to capture MC's neurotic mindset.
I must conclude by saying that even the stupidest person can understand what Tatami Galaxy is trying to say.Not because it is simplistic , but because you feel the information being fed to you.That can only be a result of sophisticated artistry.
Official trailer

Kaiba
Another visually extraordinary work by Masaaki Yuasa.Unsurprisingly, it looks absolutely nothing like his previous works.It just goes to show how he is constantly pushing himself,experimenting and never remaining in one place.Character designs are simple,clean and they are made to resemble Osamu Tezuka's character designs.Background art looks very organic , they are filled with objects full of distorted shapes and forms.This absolutely out of world background art was inspired by René Laloux's La Planète sauvage.By inserting these characters with retro look in completely new world , a feeling strange nostalgia is created.Like main character himself , we recognize certain elements through hazy memory but are still bewildered by this unique world.As expected from Yuasa,we get a lot of dynamic and brilliant camerawork.I have noticed even the scenes where the camera is static,everything appears to be dynamic.That is a of an outcome of well positioned camera angle.
Opening
Gif #1
Gif #2
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:46 am Reply with quote
I'll support The Tatami Galaxy. I didn't watch a lot of it (hence why I wouldn't be nominating it) but I do remember it's distinct look.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Voting for:
Metropolis
Birdy the Mighty: Decode
The Tatami Galaxy
Kaiba

And wow, The Tatami Galaxy definitely deserves a better trailer than that.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Voting for:
The Tatami Galaxy

I've been waiting for someone to nominate that one. I haven't finished it yet so I didn't feel comfortable nominating it myself.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote
Supporting
Akira
The Tatami Galaxy

BTW, how or where can we see how many votes each nomination has?
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:44 am Reply with quote
I initially planned to tally them, and have a periodically updated running tally, but I decided against it because I don't really want to encourage strategic voting at this point. Vote for the stuff you like, and against the stuff you really think doesn't belong. I guess if someone were really interested they could just count the votes for things themselves, but that doesn't bother me or anything.

Also, the nominations here seem to be winding down, and as of my quick count count, we have 59 nominations. This thread has been active for 15 days, and I think I'll give it to the end of the month (5 more days), so the next few days is the time to do your stuff. I project we'll get more than 64 entries, but not terribly many more, so we'll probably have a field of 64 with a small number of nominated titles that get cut.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:23 am Reply with quote
Another anime that I think deserves to be nominated is Ikuhara's Mawaru Penguindrum. I could do it, but I'm really bad at expressing my thoughts. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Last edited by Ignatz on Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:39 am Reply with quote
So, has Flowers of Evil really not been nominated yet? Someone should definitely get on that (I haven't actually seen it, beyond a few shots, so I can't).

Apparently I mostly watch undaring stuff though, since I can't think of anything I've seen that should be here.

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:36 am Reply with quote
Voting for/Supporting:

Hidamari Sketch
House of Five Leaves
Katanagatari
Kemonozume
Mind Game
Mononoke
The Tatami Galaxy
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Nominating:

Flowers of Evil
The bold choice to use rotoscoping for all of the character animation in this show is undeniably daring and works well towards establishing the show's eerie, uneasy tone. The way the characters' features appear and disappear as they move closer and farther from the camera intentionally adds to the "uncanny valley" effect--the animation and style ride the fine line between perfect realism and cartoony stylization. The result is a show that fits its subject matter perfectly--deeply disconcerting to look at, it is both a bit too real and not quite real enough.
Gif from the best scene in the show, from episode 7
Another gif from the same scene
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Supporting

House of Five Leaves
Serial Experiments Lain
Last Exile
Summer Wars
The Tatami Galaxy
Flowers of Evil
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Voting for/Supporting:

Flowers of Evil
Serial Experiments Lain
The Animatrix: Kid's Story
The Animatrix: World Record
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:05 am Reply with quote
Supporting
Bobby’s In Deep
Cat Soup
Tamala 2010: a Punk Cat in Space
Redline
Paprika
Mind Game
FLCL
Flowers of Evil
The Animatrix: Kid's Story
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9