• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yona of the Dawn (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
With regards to the next episode, the preview shows a bad guy holding her by the hair. That would be a perfect reason/time for it to be cut. We will have wait and see. They may be teasing us.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

I think it's obvious that spoiler[she would eventually cut her hair] given some of the key visuals and that PV. from the previous episode. And with that, Yona earned more of my respect this episode.

Poor spoiler[Hak though. Well, it's good to know they survived and found the priest they are looking for.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lys

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
The scene leading up to Su-won's spoiler[coronation] brought tears to my eyes. Ahhh, what could have been...! (of course, what "could've been" wouldn't be nearly as interesting a story, but for the sake of the characters involved, it would've been so much happier!)
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6: Great episode. I actually felt quite bad for Tae Jun. spoiler[He wouldn't have reacted like that if he didn't feel for Yona at all. Now he thinks he killed her. He was a jerk, but he was also in a bad spot, so yeah, I feel bad for him.

I also feel bad for Soo-Won. He's obviously being manipulated, and he really did love both Yona and Hak. Well, that's the way the cookie crumbles when you betray your uncle, man!]

I hate to complain about "realism" in a fantasy shojo that will probably have magical elements spoiler[but surviving that fall stretched my disbelief way too thin. I guess anything short of a falling into net of vines/bushes/tight treetops, or having somesort of parachute device would have felt too unrealistic, but still.] Sometimes I feel like this show isn't even trying to adhere to in-show rules of believability, and that's not a good thing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

What action we had this episode looked like a step up, it was well animated, it was a delight in itself, cool watching Hak. The part of spoiler[Yona's hair getting cut] did not feel cheesy in the least, it felt like a great moment for Yona spoiler[and as a prop for other characters]. And insight into Su-won was also appreciated.

This series is still going quite strong. Also, not sure but the music felt less intrusive here, which hopefully means they have sorted some things out.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:08 am Reply with quote
Definitely agree with Agent355 about spoiler[Tae-Jun, they did a great job in addind depth to the character and make him more than some crazy obsessive villain. It was actually painful to watch him beg for punishment and how much he's torturing himself over Yona's apparent death, and I'm looking forward to see what they do with both him and Soo-won who also obviously cares about Yona genuinely]. I wasn't big on this show early on the season, but it's growing on me quite a bit
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I dunno....it's hard to pity Su-Won because he COULD have chosen his childhood friends over this path but.........no, he didn't.

You murdered your best friend's father, you ordered the deaths of the ones closest to you......sorry, there is no sympathy for you, kiddo. You did "what was easy", not what was right.

Screw him. Yona and Hak are obviously not in his priorities. I don't feel sorry for him. If he cared, he'd go against all odds to protect them.......like how Yona and Hak stand to fight anyone who threatens the other's safety.

Anyway, I really like the two spoiler[new characters]. Especially the boy.
"Someone's dead. Mendoukuse-e" Anime hyper
lys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
I don't particularly "feel sorry" for him either. I feel sorry about the whole situation, for all three of their sakes.

I agree that he made his choices and picked his priorities knowingly (I don't buy him being stupid/power-hungry/manipulated) and deserves all the consequences of those choices. But I think he'd agree with that too. He knew what he was giving up (and it doesn't seem like it was "easy" for him), but was convinced that it was necessary... and while I cannot imagine ANY reason he would come to that conclusion, I still want to know more about what's really going on in his mind.

So I quite understand Yona's and Hak's feelings of betrayal/hatred toward him as a person, but as a character in a story I think he's fascinating...
xyz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Yona is still so smitten with Su-won after he killer her father then chased her and Hak to their "deaths." In her dream, the first person she thought of was "Su-won."
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
xyz wrote:
I'm surprised that Yona is still so smitten with Su-won after he killer her father then chased her and Hak to their "deaths." In her dream, the first person she thought of was "Su-won."

Most people can't change their world view instantaneously. Yona had had a thing for the guy for many years, and was basically in shock and denial after what happened. If she keeps pining after him in the future, though, I'll be less understanding about it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

A bit of a slow episode but it is revealed more about a spoiler[legend from the priest. I like Yona's resolve this episode though but we've yet to see that development so the upcoming episode will be fairly important.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
#7:

Man, this show is slow. It's not too bad, because I'm still interested, but I kind of do want the pace to pick up a bit pretty soon. I can take slow things if they have a real lot of implicit or subtextual content, but Yona's not particularly high on that front.

I really liked the scene at the waterfall, with the small cloud obscuring the group, where we see the cahracters' faces in dim flat light against bright cliffs. Then the cloud passes to bathe Yona's face in light.

I may have said this before but I don't really get this show's sense of humor, and particularly don't like the fact that it likes to regularly assassinate dramatic moments with it. Just as it's starting to really go somewhere cool, we get random dumb chibi faces.
dan7el

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I keep hoping for a massive time-skip to happen soon, so we can get to the part where Yona and her pals are awesome and rampaging their revenge throughout the kingdom. We've already seen some scenes from that time, but the "getting there" is killing me.

Hurry up already!
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
dan7el wrote:
I keep hoping for a massive time-skip to happen soon, so we can get to the part where Yona and her pals are awesome and rampaging their revenge throughout the kingdom. We've already seen some scenes from that time, but the "getting there" is killing me.

Hurry up already!

You need to adjust your expectations. If the show follows the manga this will be a lot more about the journey than the destination. If you are just interested in "rampaging their revenge throughout the kingdom" this season might I suggest Akame ga Kill or Seven Deadly Sins?
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Good episode with background story. spoiler[Why can't more people be like Ik-Soo? Anyways, now that Yun is on the journey with Hak and the princess, it should be quite interesting.]

Judging by PV, it looks like spoiler[archery training next time. Should be fun.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 30