• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Overrated (#2).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nbs332000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Why do you lock the forum if you want me to explain my self I was just by means expressing my opinion about how the people I personally know believe it to be the most critically acclaimed best anime. I in no means meant it was not good. How ever what I meant by the previous post was that I simply wanted to know why people felt it was so great by no means was I trying to cause a riot but simply wanted to know what the big deal was. When I watched it, it was ok but by no means was it a critcally acclaimed masterpiece.

- My reasoning behind not living up to the hype is yes clearly my opinion however I think it is perfectly in the allowable range to want to hear why fans of the show believe it is.

-When watching it myself yeah it was ok just like others such as prince of tennis.

Yeah when looking at classics that really take control of the audience it makes them identify with a character or group of characters. With bebop for instance yeah the animators brought something to the table that had never been done. Sure they brough Jet kune do and an amazing story. If you think about it that is the only real thing you need for a classic an angle and so amazing martial arts. Personally as a martial artist I believe that the animators used the fight scenes to do the talking for them such as samurai X has some really good fight scenes and same with Full Metal Panic with the Mech scenes.
-not to be impolite to the mod but could you please let me explain my point before shutting me down

What makes you identify with the characters and why is the story so appealing to you those are the questions I am trying to explore here not full metal bashing.

- sorry bout the triple post but I was on a roll and was in a hurry so not to forget what I was going to say.

[EDIT: Fixed your spelling of Fullmetal Alchemist again. -TK]

Last edited by nbs332000 on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Do not triple post. Don't even double post. If you have something you want to say, and your post is the most recent in the thread, EDIT it. That's what the big button is there for. The only time you can double post is if your post was the last in a thread, and it has several (notice the plural) days since that post was originally made, and you have something new and interesting to say.

Also, if you have questions for a moderator, PM them personally and they will explain. If you have a public complaint or feedback of any kind for that matter, check the sticky labeled Moderator in the Bugs & Technical Questions forum.

Last edited by selenta on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
nbs332000, please edit your original posts instead of making a new post every time you think of something new to add. Thanks.

Tony K. wrote:
nbs332000 wrote:
Yeah it is okay, I have watched it but I do not it is worth all the hype and definatly should not be considered an all time great.

All time greats are the classics that show us something that is so mind blowing that you have to love it. I could definately put bebop, outlaw star, and possibly Full Metal Panic in this category.

Care to make an actual argument? Just saying it's overrated and that it's not worth the hype tells us nothing. Why do you think it's overrated? Did you not like the characters, were there plot-holes, did something about alchemy just not sit well with your, or what?

And how exactly are Bebop, OS, or even FMP! considered so mind-blowing that I and everyone else in the Milky Way just have to love and consider them all-time greats?

Teh Rules wrote:
3) Discussions should carry some measure of intelligence to them. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. If it does not contribute to the discussion, do not post it. Please post detailed answers to questions, lists and one-liners do not contribute.

Please make another thread (if you feel like it) once you're able address that issue. Thanks.

Tony K. did explain why the the previous thread was locked. The request was made for you to explain more as to why you think FMA is overrated. More than just: "it was ok but by no means was it a critically acclaimed masterpiece." Please explain why you think it isn't a masterpiece.

Although, I can't believe you compared Fullmetal Alchemist to The Prince of Tennis. FMA is on a completely different level. I feel that PoT is just your average sports anime. It isn't all that fresh, and not very emotionally involving at all. FMA, on the other hand is very innovative, with great characters on both sides of the coin that one can relate too. I love the exploration of alchemy, how the concept of right vs wrong was presented, and most of all the selflessness of Edward at the end of the series. I got so very emotionally involved in FMA, having gotten so attached to the characters (Edward especially). Because of that, I couldn't help but get all choked up when the series was over, and rate it as a masterpiece.

The movie on the other hand, I don't consider a masterpiece. It does provide some nice closure to the series, but not in the way I would have liked. Poor Winry ... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nbs332000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:13 pm Reply with quote
the only reason why i triple posted was because I was answering tony's questions(I was on a roll). After which he did lock it up that is why I am here. As for FMA I really did not see the appeal and price of tennis believe it or not does have its moments which at times are intense. Even though it is not the most exciting thing I have ever seen it is alot better then some of the stuff I have seen over the years. Anyway back to the topic at hand you still have not answered my questions about full metal Alchemist but have only complained about my posts that were answering tony's questions.

The story line is okay but you or nobody else has explained as to why the story line is so emotionally appealing? Or what elements of edward's or any of the other characters draw's your personality to identify with them? These are the questions that I want to know FMA fans opinions on?
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:18 pm Reply with quote
nbs332000 wrote:
you still have not answered my questions about full metal Alchemist but have only complained about my posts that were answering tony's questions.

I believe he did answer your questions my friend:

you asked and wrote:
The story line is okay but you or nobody else has explained as to why the story line is so emotionally appealing?

he answered and wrote:
I love the exploration of alchemy, how the concept of right vs wrong was presented, and most of all the selflessness of Edward at the end of the series.

Also:

Quote:

price of tennis believe it or not does have its moments which at times are intense. Even though it is not the most exciting thing I have ever seen it is alot better then some of the stuff I have seen over the years.

You know, just because a series has more exciting and intense sequences doesn't mean it is better than something that actually makes you think, like, say, FMA.

And yes, I am fully aware of my screen name and avatar, so don't go thinking that I'm just some rabit, defensive FMA freak.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'll bite.

Why does FMA get so much hype? Because, despite the otherworldly setting and pseudo-magic, it's one of the most human series in recent memory. Rarely has an anime made me cry only three episodes in. Even though the characters are from another world that's vastly different from ours, they are still incredibly easy to identify with, whether it be Ed and Al's unconditional love (platonic, go away yaoi fans) for each other as brothers, Roy's spoiler[decision to throw away everything he's worked for to do what's right,] or the constant battles between good and evil that seem to plague almost everyone. Like Cowboy Bebop, the characters are utterly kickass, but they're still recognizably human, and I think that's what really sets this series apart.

I agree, though, the movie was sort of a disappointment. Still, it rounded out the story nicely, although I wish it hadn't been so damn SAD....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
You dont really seem to have all than much of an arguement for why its actually bad. Alot of people did identify with the characters, and get into the story. I guess the reason you didn't is just personal preference.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I would have to ask you, how much of FMA really have you seen? Only the episodes around the beginning? Middle? End? Because seeing the whole thing would probably change your opinion drasticly.
FMA is one of my favourites. It deals with alot of current issues. War, religion, life and death, and more. The ability this series has to make you split your sides lauging one minute, and then ball your eyes out the next, is astounding.
There is so much depth here. Yeah it starts like your typical shounen action romp, but if you watch to the end youll see a heck of alot more. Add that to GREAT graphics, awsome musical scores, and memerable character designs.... well, it isnt in any way suprising to me that its so popular.
san-san

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree that FMA is kinda overrated but I think that's just me....I didn't find it all that emotionally intense or whatever and fight scenes are lost on me. It felt melodramatic to me at times (esp. if Winry was crying somewhere) I couldn't really find any connections with the characters and the only reason I kept going on with the series was for the cool alchemy scenes, the music, and hopes that it would get better ('tis Bones after all). And I never found it all that funny *sure he's short but it's not that funny*. But that's just me...I don't think it's an average shonen series. Hell, when I first saw it shonen never popped into my head. It was a great series but not for me.....and I don't think the yaoi fangirling helped me like it any better either *looks at my yaoi fiend friends*. I also didn't particularly find Cowboy Beebop that much interesting either but it's too early for me to give a verdict on it as I have yet to see the entire thing.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:13 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, this thread has some rather semi-incoherent posts so far, but anyway . . . .

I am probably a little biased (see my avatar), OK maybe a lot biased, but I think FMA is basically the best anime ever. For starters, it is wonderful to look at and has some of the best music. Overall, it is exceptionally well-written. It is highly intelligent and makes you think philosophically. It goes over meaningful themes, without being cliche-ridden.

The characters are wonderful because they are all flawed. Furthermore, they're all realistic. What makes you feel empathy and sympathy for them is that they have all gone through terrible things, but they never give up. They are all strong-willed and work hard to achieve their goals. They have faced amazing odds, and have incredible weights and guilt on their shoulders, but they never crumble into self-pity and despair.

The story is a masterpiece in part because it is well paced--never getting too slow or too fast. It moves through the full emotional spectrum. You aren't given all the details until exactly the right moment. There is always some secret waiting to be uncovered. You'll never be bored with FMA.

Those are just some of the basic reasons Fullmetal Alchemist is wonderful. There are many more, but I think these are the most pertinent. Because of every aspect of the series as a whole, Fullmetal Alchemist is a masterpiece everyone should see.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
Amethyst Alchemist wrote:

I am probably a little biased (see my avatar), OK maybe a lot biased, but I think FMA is basically the best anime ever. For starters, it is wonderful to look at and has some of the best music. Overall, it is exceptionally well-written. It is highly intelligent and makes you think philosophically. It goes over meaningful themes, without being cliche-ridden.

The characters are wonderful because they are all flawed. Furthermore, they're all realistic. What makes you feel empathy and sympathy for them is that they have all gone through terrible things, but they never give up. They are all strong-willed and work hard to achieve their goals. They have faced amazing odds, and have incredible weights and guilt on their shoulders, but they never crumble into self-pity and despair.

1) I would never think of you as being biased towards this series!

2) You are entirely too correct about the characters being wonderful because they are flawed. Yes, they can do things that most people can't yet they are still human with all of the human flaws and foibles. And I, for one, respect those characters for their flaws and quirks.

Yeah, Armstrong's muscle love gets exasperating at times but he is loyal to what he believes in and will back you up 150% if he thinks that you are right. And if he thinks that you are right, he will compromise himself if he has to.

Mustang's Mini-skirt fetish and Hughes' daughter love...yeah, annoying but these are two men who deep down want the best for their country and the people around them.

Ed's issues with his height. That can be annoying as well but when it comes down to it, he admits that he has gone down the wrong path and has done wrong things. He apologizes to those that he has hurt and tries his best to repair what he has done.

And no one else understands what Ed and Al are going through more than Amethyst Alchemist's avatar, Izumi. And because of her understanding of their pain, it hurts her as well and that why she spoiler[beats the crap out of the two of them.]

No, FMA is a masterpiece or, at the very least, masterful in grabbing hold of our emotions and twisting them hard.

Edited for mis-placed apostrophe

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
Whether or not Fullmetal Alchemist is overrated, I cannot say. All I know is how I feel about it.

I think Fullmetal Alchemist is one of the most imaginative, dramatic, engaging anime programs to come out in the past ten years. If not "the" best to come out in the past decade, it is one of them, surely. It has dramatic tension, emotional honesty, a large cast that is wielded well, and has several creative elements that seperate it from your typical program.

It has your usual shonen "gimmick", in a sense, this one being "alchemy", but it's so more complex and rich than a Naruto or a One Piece. It's not flawless - some of the humor is inappropriately placed or fails within the context of such a serious show, and it's adaptation of the manga is poor in certain areas - but it is a damn good show with good production values and a touching central theme of brotherly love.

Little do we have a strong sense of brotherly love in anime - usually it devolves into about being the characters' romantic love for significant others or bloodthirsty love of fighting. Here we have two main characters who live for each other, because they are family, and it's a geniune feeling of commitment towards each other in their goals, and touching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nbs332000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:26 am Reply with quote
Ok, I will explain this again I never said it was bad. I just wanted to know why people love it so much. Some of you have answered that question while others still believe I am trying to condemn FMA which I am not. I believe in my previous post I declared that it was good but not great. Yeah I have seen it but was trying to find out its appeal to others. My friends speak very highly of it and I wanted to hear what others thought about it.

-Also I was wondering about different peoples opinions on the subject . I know what Jedi General means about getting emotional with some episodes because I have felt this with some episodes of GTO(Great Teacher Onizuka). Also I have seen FMA and can't see how people can get into the show. Personally I cannot get into it even though I have seen it and wanted to know others opinions about why they like and identify with FMA.

-Also to Brothers Elric, Iol, no I don't think that you are a FMA defensive freak however I don't believe the story line was all that great either. I do believe that the storyline, identifying with character(s), and usually a kick ass fight scene mech, martial arts, or gun fight usually does the job even though the last one is not required makes a classic.

-Thank you to those who have answered my questions.

-I also know there are others who feel the same way I do.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote
nbs332000 wrote:
Also I was wondering about different peoples opinions on the subject . I know what Jedi General means about getting emotional with some episodes because I have felt this with some episodes of GTO(Great Teacher Onizuka). Also I have seen FMA and can't see how people can get into the show. Personally I cannot get into it even though I have seen it and wanted to know others opinions about why they like and identify with FMA.

Well, if you can't get into it, that's just down to personality, right? For whatever reason it just doesn't appeal to you, which is hardly an uncommon thing to happen to people. After all, no matter how popular a series is we will still have people rating it badly.

I don't really think FMA is overrated - while I personally don't consider it a masterpiece, I can still see the components of it which are very well done and deserve credit.

I believe one of the main reasons it's rated so highly is - as many others have said - the characters. While I didn't really feel any emotional pull towards the characters (brotherly love? eh...), they were all well developed, very human. Depictions of realistic characters always seem to be worth more to me (as aversed to the stereotypical hero).

A second factor is the story. While I have some minor issues with the pacing (sloooow beginning, rushed ending), when the plot kicks in it's worth it. While at different times it can vary between being predictable and incomprehensible, it's still a fun ride with some twists and emotional bumps along the way.

As far as I can tell, those are the main draws to the series. Other factors, well... the art is good but not great (compared to stuff being produced right now, naturally), the music... well, if you like that kind of thing. Voice actors I don't really know that I can comment on.

The movie on the other hand...
"What's that? We need to tie up all the loose ends in one movie? No problem!"
*pulls out plot hammer*

In other words, it seemed way too forced.
undeadben

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:29 am Reply with quote
nbs332000 wrote:
I declared that it was good but not great. Yeah I have seen it but was trying to find out its appeal to others.

Ok, you keep asking for answers but you don't answer anyone else. People have asked you why you "declared that it was good but not great." Because that is not an explanation, it is a statement. All you have said is basically double talk that just says the same thing over and over again:

Quote:
When I watched it, it was ok but by no means was it a critcally acclaimed masterpiece

Quote:
My reasoning behind not living up to the hype is yes clearly my opinion

Quote:
When watching it myself yeah it was ok just like others such as prince of tennis

And then you insist on wanting to know why other people do consider it great:

Quote:
I simply wanted to know why people felt it was so great

Quote:
I think it is perfectly in the allowable range to want to hear why fans of the show believe it is.

Quote:
What makes you identify with the characters and why is the story so appealing to you

You want other people to put up reasoning without adding any for your own statements. Sure you go on and talk a bit about Bebop, and FMP, and Samurai X, but absolutely nothing that backs up your point of view about Fullmetal Alchemist, the series you started the topic about. I've asked this of others before but, how do you expect others to contribute to your topic, when even you don't bother to?

As for overrated, I'll quote myself from another topic on this:
I wrote:
I actually cringe whenever I read or hear the word "overrated" about any anime. I don't think there is such a thing. I believe there are many anime that people love and I happen to hate, but I won't call them overrated over my own personal feelings. Every anime is rated just where it belongs because it just means that that many people seriously do like them.

And to show that I'm game:

First of all Fullmetal Alchemist is critically acclaimed. This is a fact based on critics singing the praises of FA. Just because maybe you don't think that it should be does not change the fact that it is. Just search Fullmetal Alchemist reviews and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Secondly, while FA does not rank in my personal top 25 anime, I think it is great because not only does it have a wonderful adventure feel to it along with some wonderfully dark moments, but it is one of the few series that actually focuses on consequences. One of the things that helped me relate to Edward was that even when he knew he was doing something wrong, he understood there would be consequences and accepted what ever fate may bring. And so he shouldered this burden and responsibility, and even took upon himself his brothers potential responsibility as well.

Despite his actions and emotions and behavior this all made him a wonderfully tragic character with so may different levels of depth that made him seem remarkably human. And so I laughed with him, and cried with him, and felt with him, and rooted for him until the end.

And because I could relate to Ed so much as a character and was intrigued by almost every aspect of this interesting and imaginative world in which he lived, I was able to thoroughly enjoy this wonderful series. The action, adventure, and wonderful storytelling were just icing on the cake.

Ok, I'll stop there because I have not seen the show in a couple years and this is almost the reach of my memory. So how about it? It doesn't have to be long, just one post explaining why you feel Fullmetal Alchemist was good but not great.

ETA: Ay! Where is Darc_knight? Y'all gotta admit it would make for an entertaining, even if not informative, conversation if he were around. C'mon, anybody at least want to quote him for ol' times sake?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3