• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Baccano! Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, more Funimation goodness for me. Aside from a few "oh good it's not moe, that stuff sucks" comments Rolling Eyes people are actually making this sound like an awesome show. It's too bad some fans just can't resist insulting something when there's good news.

Wonder who they'll cast in the dub. Hope this one sells well, we need more major successes.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Anime cry <- Tears of joy.

More FUNimation ownage. Now they just need to license Mononoke (and Kekkaishi).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I'm surprised. I hope FUNi sells it right out of the gate in a box. This is not a series that will easily sell in volumes.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:45 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
So, I'm going through the Baccano! site on ANN, and I come across this.

WTF?

Can somebody who has seen this explain a little about episodes 14, 15, and 16? Is the show so episodic that they can just add extra episodes randomly throughout the DVD releases? Or is it that the last three are fluff and it doesn't matter where they go?

The series is based on novels, and there is a lot of the novels that the anime did not cover, so episodes 14-16 were from books not covered in the tv-aired episodes of the anime. They all take place after the other events, so it does tie up some things nicely.
bleuster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I love the opening.
It's so beautifully mad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
ALRIGHT!! Surprised

I've been trying to spread the word a little about how great this series is and now I wont have to point people towards fansubs. I'm glad FUNi got it, this show really needs and deserves a good English dub. Even though I liked the Japanese cast, I just couldn't get my head around everybody in 30's America speaking Japanese (yeah, sometimes I just can't detach myself).

DerekTheRed wrote:
Can somebody who has seen this explain a little about episodes 14, 15, and 16? Is the show so episodic that they can just add extra episodes randomly throughout the DVD releases? Or is it that the last three are fluff and it doesn't matter where they go?

The series itself jumps around in time (always indicated by a date screen), but those last three episodes really do belong at the end IMO. They talk about events that took place in the last couple TV episodes and could potentially spoil some plot points. If they were numbered, for example, 10.5 or something then I could see watching them in line, but these episodes should really be watched in the order they're numbered in.

Viz or Tokyopop, please take note, people want the light novels. Anime catgrin

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:

The anime is based on the first four novels. There's a year gap between the fourth novel (Baccano! 1932: The Drug and the Dominoes), and the sixth and seventh novels (Baccano! 1933: The Slash). (Novel 5 takes place in 2001.)
There's a year's worth of events that the novels gloss over - several character relationships have changed dramatically since we last saw them, and the novels cheerily leave that up to the reader's imagination.
The three bonus episodes tell a story that takes place during that gap, and connects most of the major dots, while also working in a few loose ends that didn't quite make it into the TV episodes. The TV ending was extremely satisfying - it was the end of each novel's storyline, after all - but the bonus episodes both provide additional closure while simultaneously setting up the next storyline, should they ever make a sequel.
Definitely not filler - there is an anime original storyline that connects all those pieces together, but I imagine Narita was heavily involved with that. If he wasn't, than that's because the anime staff understand his work perfectly.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I haven't seen this yet, but a friend of mine has and she's been trying to get me to watch it. It sounds like a show that's right up my alley, particularly the setting.

I wonder if Funimation will do what ADV did with Chrono Crusade's dub, and add in some slang from the time period? I sort of hope they do, I think it'd be a lot of fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
YamiNoSenshi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, looks like this one is going from "watching" to "on hold". Really wanted to get into it, but I kinda stopped watching anime on my computer. 9 hours a day in front of a monitor makes you reaaaaalllllly start liking the catch. I'll have to buy it. I hope they do the season-at-once thing.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Great news. I was beginning to worry this wouldn't be licensed. I haven't seen any of it yet but it sounds stylish, unusual, and interesting. I'm looking forward to it a lot.
abynormal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
YAY! Baccano was one of my favorite anime from last year. I'm glad someone picked it up.
toddc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
As much I like Baccano, I doubt that it’s going to be the breakthrough hit that all of your snooty friends will watch even though they hate nearly every anime. The series has a mostly appealing cast and a wonderful mix of ideas, but it’s also got problems: the so-lame-it’s-cool ‘30s atmosphere, the way the few annoying characters are also the ones who can’t shut the hell up, and the intentionally scattershot storytelling.

The last of those might hurt the most. Series like Cowboy Bebop are approachable for the casual viewer; you can watch a single episode and tell what’s going on. Baccano isn’t like that. It jumps between times and subplots, actively making things as messy as possible, and then sorts it all out later. It’s a rewarding series if you’re in it for the long run, but catching a randomly chosen episode (or even just the first one) will confuse and alienate many. Perhaps that’s why Baccano wasn’t a massive success in Japan (although it didn’t do all that bad, seeing as how it got three extra DVD episodes and finished 32nd in that Animage Grand Prix, ahead of stuff like Claymore, Genshiken, Sgt. Frog, and One Piece).

That's why Baccano should be seen by as many people as possible, because for every viewer it draws in, there’s another one who’ll probably give up after a few episodes. I hope FUNimation either gets it on TV or sells it with at least eight episodes in the first DVD release. That'll take you up to the point where the show really starts to take shape.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Baccano is indeed one great series. But it is quite violent and full of black humor. And it's best watched in a batch, because you really have to pay attention with all the jumping around in time.

Now, if Denno Coil would be licensed, we'd have all the best series of 2007 avaiable.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
Perhaps that’s why Baccano wasn’t a massive success in Japan (although it didn’t do all that bad, seeing as how it got three extra DVD episodes and finished 32nd in that Animage Grand Prix, ahead of stuff like Claymore, Genshiken, Sgt. Frog, and One Piece).

I think rumors of the series failure in Japan should be taken with a grain of salt; they seem to be based on first week DVD sales...in comparison to shows that aired on broadcast TV.
I've yet to see anyone actually dig up numbers for Wowow shows and see how it did in a relevant comparison.
For all we know, those numbers could have been at or above expectations.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Lots of People wrote:
Helpful things

Thanks for the info, this sounds like something I'll be collecting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5