• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Book Club revival?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Some old threads have popped up and caught my attention, so I'm wondering if anyone else would be interested in restarting the old ANN Book Club threads. Members would vote on an anime; then watch the winning series at a set pace, discussing what they'd watched so far as they go. From what I've read so far (beginnings and ends), they went pretty well. If others are willing to contribute, I am willing to invest a good chunk of my time to make this happen (anyone else willing to do the same please pm me); so if your even mildly interested, please let me know.
If you are interested, please list a few shows that you'd be interested in watching. If enough interest is shown, I'll make an official vote thread.

[Edit]This thread should be considered dead. All new comments and suggestions should go here.

Last edited by wanderlustking on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
anime racket

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Sounds awesome! I'm definitely interested.

As for the anime to be discussed you could go for a highly popular
series like Death Note or Evangelion but for maximum impact I'd
suggest a show that is mostly unknown. I can't think of a
particular show that fits that description at the moment.

Still, I hope this gets started soon! Very Happy
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
I'm willing to start with a movie perhaps, since the lower time investment might get a few more people interested, who would then be willing to stick through an entire series. Some movies that might work well for this would be:
Tekkonkinkreet
Perfect Blue
Paprika
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
Well the problem in the past is that people can get behind on watching a TV show, then kinda give up on the rest. Perhaps trying movies or short OVAs might be a good idea because if you miss a movie, well you miss the discussion for that week, but next week you can just skip the pages and not be spoiled on it while not being left completely out the loop. Sure, people could then catch up, but that kinda is a lot of effort whereas watching the movies means that skipping isn't as big a deal. It might prevent extreme dwindling in participation.

So yeah, movies, which would take one week, or short OVAs, which might take 1 or 2 weeks, would be the way to go if you ask me, just looking at past bookclubs (and I don't think any of them have done movies and OVAs, I think they've all done full series)

Also, it's been suggested in the past that movies that you can watch online for free legally (like hulu, youtube, Funi's streaming, etc) would put everyone on a more fair ground so they can participate legally without paying (assuming SOPA/PIPA doesn't self destruct the internet like it seems intent on doing)
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
I would be willing to contribute on a limited basis. I return to college next week, so I generally vanish from this site until May. That being said, if the people participating in the Book Club were willing to adhere to a viewing schedule that allowed for extended intervals between postings, I could, in all likelihood, find the time to compose a lengthy analysis that would be worthy of the high standards of the ANN Book Club.

A show that would be perfect for this kind of extended viewing schedule would be Puella Magi Madoka Magica. If we organized the Book Club around the R1 release schedule of Madoka, it would allow the users who loved the show a second opportunity to explicate on many of the show’s thematic elements in retrospection as well as allow those users who did not watch the fansubs the chance to engage in a lengthy discussion.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
movies that you can watch online for free legally (like hulu, youtube, Funi's streaming, etc) would put everyone on a more fair ground so they can participate legally without paying
That is a very good point, although this would be done democratically; if those willing to contribute are, by and large, willing to purchase or rent, then I am as well. The problem with limiting ourselves to streaming is that it cuts out a lot of older shows and a lot of movies in general. I don't have much experience with streaming, so if this isn't the case someone please correct me, but I was under the impression that the back catalog is fairly limited.

GeminiDS85: Madoka would be a great show for a book club. Do you know if this will be streamed legally anywhere? I don't keep up on these things (maybe I should start...).
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
If yoose guys select something that is on Hulu, Netflix, or I already own, then I'll participate. At least to start, because if I don't like the show I'll drop it, I've got Skyrims to explore and what not. I'll definitely see it through if I already own it, because that means that I like the show.

Re: Madoka: Typically in the past the book club material were shows that were fully released in R1 and could be had used for relatively cheap. It was before legal streaming was really a thing, but if there isn't an option for it now and it isn't physically released yet, that will probably put lots of people off.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
I'd be interested in contributing. I tend over-analyse a bit so I might scare people away. I'll try to restrain myself. Anime catgrin

My suggestion would be Eve no Jikan. It's only 6 episodes long, is available in all English speaking countries on Crunchyroll and it has lots of hooks to talk about. If not, the other suggestions are definitely interesting, depending on availability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:45 am Reply with quote
YES THIS IS HAPPENING YES!!! I'd be super excited for another ANN Book Club. Not sure about doing a movie, because the whole point is to watch in increments and analyze from what you've seen at that point, and we wouldn't spilt up a movie. Also, I'd shy away from doing any mega-popular series like Death Note and NGE has been beaten to death (not to mention it would probably incite the worst kind of tirades). Doing an OVA to get into the swing of it is a great idea though.

The titles that first come to mind for this are Denpa Teki na Kanojo, Kaiba, Bakemonogatari, Infinite Ryvius, and Paranoia Agent. Also, I've never seen this but Kuchu Buranko is short and looks like it could generate some really interesting discussion, so if anyone has seen it please tell me what you think. Oh, and Cat Soup! This OVA is only 30 mins long, but it has enough packed in to discuss for a dozen pages.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:29 am Reply with quote
Okay then, I think that is more than enough interest for me to invest my time into this. I'll make the official voting thread now.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Re: Madoka: Typically in the past the book club material were shows that were fully released in R1 and could be had used for relatively cheap. It was before legal streaming was really a thing, but if there isn't an option for it now and it isn't physically released yet, that will probably put lots of people off.

You do know about the R1 release that the series is getting this year, right? By the time the northern summer rolls around it shouldn't be a problem.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:49 am Reply with quote
I'd be interested as well, but I will be slightly more limited with what I can legally obtain (being in the UK and all), so if people don't mind that, then I'm game Smile
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:59 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I'd be interested as well, but I will be slightly more limited with what I can legally obtain (being in the UK and all), so if people don't mind that, then I'm game Smile
I won't ask you any questions, so don't tell me any lies.
That goes for everyone.

Last edited by wanderlustking on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:02 am Reply with quote
Wasn't DADT recently repealed?

But seriously; any way you can get it st_owly, any way you can get it.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
Can I make suggestions or am I too late?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2