Trailer for One Piece Kabuki Play's Theatrical Screening Highlights Appeal
posted on by Rafael Antonio Pineda
Japanese entertainment news website Cinema Today began streaming a video for the the theatrical screening for the Kabuki stage play based on Eiichiro Oda's One Piece manga on Friday. The video shows footage from the play itself, and highlights the appealing aspects of the play, including that it is friendly for Kabuki beginners, the appearance of familiar characters in Kabuki style, the cast, the moving iconic lines, and that it is fun.
The screening will open in Japanese theaters on October 22.
The play ran from October 7 to November 25 at the Shinbashi Enbujō in Ginza, Tokyo. 100,000 tickets for the Tokyo run all sold out. The play also ran in Osaka from March 1 to 25, and in Fukuoka from April 2 to 26.
The kabuki stage play's full cast is as follows:
- Ichikawa Ennosuke IV as Luffy (seen right), Hancock, Shanks
- Ichikawa Ukon as Whitebeard
- Bandō Minosuke II as Zoro, Bentham, Squard
- Nakamura Hayato as Sanji, Inazuma
- Ichikawa Shunen II as Nami, Sandersonia
- Ichikawa Kōtarō as Hatchan, Sentomaru
- Ichikawa Juen as Avalo Pizarro
- Ichikawa Emisaburō as Nyon
- Ichikawa Enya II as Jinbei, Blackbeard (Teach)
- Ichikawa Emiya II as Nico Robin, Marigold
- Ichikawa Omezō VI as Magellan
- Ichikawa Monnosuke VIII as Tsuru
- Seiji Fukushi as Ace
- Noritoshi Kashima as Brook, "Akainu" Sakazuki
- Kazuyuki Asano as Rayleigh, Ivankov, Sengoku
The play adapts volumes 51-60 of the manga, a portion of the story known as the "Paramount War Saga." In the story, Luffy attempts to find his brother Ace and save him from execution, while a war erupts between the World Government and the Whitebeard Pirates.