• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode forty-one was pretty good, actually.

spoiler[I kept on believing that Ed would heal himself with the other stone, but he never did. At least they found it, so it will surely play a part later on.]

spoiler[And why didn't Ed disperse the snowy mist with alchemy? It should have been easy. Oh never mind.]

spoiler[Looks like Hohenheim introduced alchemy to Xing. Is that why Xingese alchemy is unaffected by Father? Since Scar's alchemy comes partially from Xing, is that why he can use alchemy too?]

spoiler[I also wonder if Ed and Al's heritage means they are superior in any way? All that talk about golden beings are perfect beings may have just been a red herring, but you never know . . . (unless you've read the Manga of course).]

I'm looking forward to the next episode. I'm glad I can say that about this series.
Dune

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 40: I was looking forward to this material being adapted more than anything else. Definitely one of my favorite episodes, and the real highlight of the Briggs arc. For the most part Brotherhood does a good job dramatizing it and presenting a straightforward twenty-minute epic; the backstory also does a good job complementing the more gruff version of Hohenheim we've been getting so far. There are a few gripes-- still no new music at all (though the selection does fit well enough), and the epilogue with Edward could have easily been traded for the scene where Hohenheim interacts with his fellow slaves. But again, small gripes, overall I was pretty pleased. And you've got to love "Homonculus". Such a charming, sneaky little @#$(.

Episode 41: If you enjoyed the previous Briggs episodes, you'll enjoy this one. Personally I find this part of the arc to grate on the nerves somewhat, given how conveniently these chimera-men appear for conversion. By the way, there's a substantial change here from the manga: Whereas anime!Edward tries to prevent Kimbley's death by sniper, Edward in the manga actually tries to lead Kimbley out into that open area so the sniper could take him out. It's the complete opposite of the manga version, and I'm not quite sure what my opinion is on it yet. I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts you guys have on this change (so long as we ignore how stupid Kimbley looks now for standing completely still, defenseless, in the open, even though he knows snipers are already in position to kill him at any moment-- yeah...)

Still, though, I liked Edward using his smarts to outwit his chimera-pursuers, the fighting was nice, and I liked Kimbley's over-the-top reaction/explosion. Overall a good episode, though cutting out some of the random humor would still make things go down smoother.

Penguintruth's Review wrote:
One thing bothered me about this scene, though, and this goes back to the manga. The Philosopher's Stone was already down there, but they don't find it until after Ed has already used himself as one. But imagine how the scene would go if Edward saw it right in front of him and was tempted to use it in his pain? Then his decision to reject that and use his own life would have had an even bigger impact. It would be a complete rejection of the Philosopher's Stone.

I don't know why this never occurred to me when I read this part in the manga, but yeah. That would have been excellent.

dtm42 wrote:
spoiler[I also wonder if Ed and Al's heritage means they are superior in any way? All that talk about golden beings are perfect beings may have just been a red herring, but you never know . . . (unless you've read the Manga of course).]

spoiler[That's an interesting possibility. I'm curious to see where this may lead (if anywhere).]
firecloud134

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
can there be more then 1 homunculus of the same name ?

spoiler questions

spoiler[ and in the first series i thought King Bradley (aka pride) 's son was normal and in brotherhood we find out that his son is a homunculus : pride.

in the first series didn't bradley try and attempt to kill his son by choking him to death ? ]
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
JFGI

Really and truly, if you haven't realised that Brotherhood is NOT a sequel then there's no hope for you.
firecloud134

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
i know its not a sequel Mad i know its like a retelling of the story
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
So just why are you asking about stuff that happened in the first series when it has nothing to do with Brotherhood? You're not making any sense.

And anyway, Brotherhood isn't a retelling of the first series, it is a closer adaptation of the Manga (than the first series was).
firecloud134

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
it is a closer adaptation of the Manga (than the first series was).

ok thank you , that answers all my questions
larethian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote
firecloud134 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
it is a closer adaptation of the Manga (than the first series was).

ok thank you , that answers all my questions

Firstly, you must understand there is zero relationship between first series and brotherhood. From an old issue of Newtype, Arakawa-sensei (author of the manga) requested the first series to have a different ending, and at that time, there were less than 40 chapters (around 7 volumes), and the content of the manga was only followed up till rush valley. And even with that, they added a Lust side-story which is completely original from the anime staff. After Rush valley, nearly everything was original (as in not following manga). She also mentioned that she was amazed about the speculations the staff made in the origins of homunculus.

Secondly, Bradley was known as Pride in the first series, but he is Wrath in Brotherhood.
kpk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
The manga, Chapter 104 - WTF? Shocked

And.. spoiler[isn't a big part of FMA is about Science vs Religion and the lack of knowledge if there really is a God or not, and now suddenly, Arakawa break it and say there is a God and "Father" somehow manage to absorbed him into himself Shocked
and this "God".. is the "Truth"? I wonder..
Very strange episode. Very confusing..]
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood English dubbed teaser trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20aWlZGGhSc

Well.. it seem like the English dub is still crap Confused
I hate Vic Mignogna Confused (i did thought he was quite charming on Conqueror of Shamballa, though)

Last edited by kpk on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
braves

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I always thought the FMA dub was solid. But not great or fantastic, which seems to be everybody else's opinion. I like Vic in some roles and thankfully Ed Elric is one of them.

I think I'll go make a thread for the [as] broadcast, since I'm sure that people want to avoid reading about the latest Japanese episodes (not to mention the latest manga chapters).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:

And.. spoiler[isn't a big part of FMA is about Science vs Religion and the lack of knowledge if there really is a God or not, and now suddenly, Arakawa break it and say there is a God and "Father" somehow manage to absorbed him into himself Shocked

spoiler[I don't think it's necessarily "God" in the way you and I know that term.

Also, if you look back at the end of chapter 67 of the manga, you'll see that Hohenheim has a back up plan.]

I thought the newest episode (43) was fairly good, even though I didn't feel like they quite captured Marcoh's big moment as well as the manga did. At least Envy's "true form" looked better this time than the last time we saw it. I think they got the hang of the CG used for it.

Alex and Olivier interacting was funny.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kpk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
kpk wrote:

spoiler[I don't think it's necessarily "God" in the way you and I know that term.

Also, if you look back at the end of chapter 67 of the manga, you'll see that Hohenheim has a back up plan.]

I thought the newest episode (43) was fairly good, even though I didn't feel like they quite captured Marcoh's big moment as well as the manga did. At least Envy's "true form" looked better this time than the last time we saw it. I think they got the hang of the CG used for it.

Alex and Olivier interacting was funny.

In the beginning, when he just transform, it wasn't CGI. also, some of his body parts (tongue, floating heads) was not in CG, too. and then it looked good. When it was switched to CG.. it looked awful!

Oh yeah, it was a good episode, it just that.. well.. I really felt like the "funny" parts were out of place.. even more then usual Confused
SMAC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Michiru Oshima (music composer) will not be returning from the first FMA series. Yasuhiro Ire will be the director instead and Akira Senju will be the composer.

So was any reason given for changing music composers? I wasn't a huge fan of the original FMA series, but I thought the music was one of its major strengths. (Bought the FMA OST 1 not too long ago and like it for its epic and tension-filled tracks.)

What anime titles this new composer done before? And is the new music style different/similar?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
SMAC wrote:

So was any reason given for changing music composers? I wasn't a huge fan of the original FMA series, but I thought the music was one of its major strengths. (Bought the FMA OST 1 not too long ago and like it for its epic and tension-filled tracks.)

What anime titles this new composer done before? And is the new music style different/similar?

Michuru Oshima did a find job with the first series, but Bones probably wanted a different sound for the new one.

The composer for the music in the new series is Akira Senju, who did the soundtracks for Victory Gundam and the newest Tetsujin-28 incarnation.

It's a decent score, though not nearly as good as Oshima's, and there's so few actual tracks. They tend to overuse just a handful of them. It's become especially annoying. However, it makes a good initial impression.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 57 of 64