• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ah My Buddha

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jiburiru Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:10 am Reply with quote
Why do you combine the two seasons of Ah my Buddha
( Amaenaideyo and Amaenaideyo Katsu) as one as you did it to the Anime series
Girls Bravo?
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
I think you mean "why don't you" instead of "why do you". I've also been wondering why some shows have multiple seasons listed together in one entry (with a seasons field listing what episodes are in each season), while other shows get separate entries for separate seasons. Are there any determining factors for whether two seasons get listed in one entry or two, or is it just kind of arbitrary?
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
They are separate series because thats how the companies released them. As separate series.

They are actually separate series. Ones just a sequel series.
Think of Digimon and its many sequel series. Same goes with pokemon, etc.

The only anime I can think of that was simply green-lit for more episodes, but not made into another series is haruhi suzumiya.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Aoi Sakaraba, I'm not sure about Jiburiru Aries' question, but I think you are misunderstanding my question here. Most shows get multiple encyclopedia entries when there are multiple seasons that are obviously differentiated from each other (i.e. when the seasons have a change of title or a long gap between when they aired). However, some shows (such as Girls Bravo or Godannar) have only one entry despite having a gap between airing the episodes for the two seasons. I'm really wondering why those shows were only given one entry.

To use the example of the shows Jiburiru Aries mentioned, both Ah My Buddha and Girls Bravo aired a first season from July to September, then were off the air for a few months, then aired a second season starting in January. Both had the second season titled in such a way as to make it clear that it was a new season (i.e. with "Katsu!!" or "second season" added to the title). There seems to be no difference between the release formats of the two series, yet one gets two entries and the other gets one entry. I think Girls Bravo even aired its second season on a different network than the first season, which would be even more reason to expect it to get two entries, but it still only got one. What I'm wondering is if there is if there is a reason why Girls Bravo (and some other shows) was only given one entry, even though that seems to be inconsistent with how shows with multiple seasons are normally handled.
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I do understand. How is what I said wrong?
After how you explained it, it doesn't prove what I said is incorrect.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:08 am Reply with quote
Jiburiru Aries, I know where you come from and I understand that English is not your first language, but if you want people take you seriously -- not to mention submitting three more alternative titles for Amaenaideyo!! Katsu!! and reporting two of them as errors -- then you really need to brush up your language skills. Heck, it might be easier to read if you just wrote German.

Jiburiru Aries wrote:
Why do you combine the two seasons of Ah my Buddha
( Amaenaideyo and Amaenaideyo Katsu) as one as you did it to the Anime series
Girls Bravo?

The golden rule is that, if the official Japanese website or any other official document reset the episode count and start over from #1, then they are considered as two separate series. In the case of Amaenaideyo!! and Amaenaideyo!! Katsu!!, the official website has a separate episode list for each of them; different full titles and separate broadcasting schedules (Katsu!! started three months after the first series had ended) only reaffirm the idea. I'll add a note explaining Media Blasters put "all 26 episodes" under one title.

As for Girls Bravo, now it looks like a good chance to break its first and second seasons into separate entries. It is not uncommon that American companies "merge" sequels or even unrelated titles into an omnibus. Problems for sequels like Amaenaideyo!! Katsu!! are minimal, but such measure can be very confusing, misleading, and even annoying at times, such as Passion Fruit and Cain, not to mention the series every American anime veteran knows. On the other hand, Peach Girl: Change of Heart is just an opposite example.

Calathan wrote:
I've also been wondering why some shows have multiple seasons listed together in one entry (with a seasons field listing what episodes are in each season), while other shows get separate entries for separate seasons. Are there any determining factors for whether two seasons get listed in one entry or two, or is it just kind of arbitrary?

"Seasons" is an old relic of the Encyclopedia and almost never used nowadays. We had an rather unsuccessful experience when dealing with the original Yu-Gi-Oh! and its sequel, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters, with the US licensee of the latter happily removed "Duel Monsters" from the title (the "original" has never been licensed), resulting so much confusion that the big "streaming banner" made by 4Kids still appears atop the unlicensed original. Rolling Eyes Therefore, we editors are rather reluctant to split series apart, despite of such series being a major pain in the neck (pun intended). Fortunately, with the exception of Yu-Gi-Oh!, most titles with "seasons" fields are not that confusing.

List:
Girls Bravo
Major
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
I think Girls Bravo even aired its second season on a different network than the first season, which would be even more reason to expect it to get two entries, but it still only got one.

<checks> Yup—season 1 was broadcast on the terrestrial channel Fuji TV, while season 2 was aired on the satellite subscription channel WOWOW. (I've read that this is the reason that the second season had so much more fan service than the first—WOWOW's "Standards and Practices" are looser than Fuji TV's.)

dormcat wrote:
The golden rule is that, if the official Japanese website or any other official document reset the episode count and start over from #1, then they are considered as two separate series.

Dan: IMHO this is something else to add to the FAQ.

dormcat wrote:
I'll add a note explaining Media Blasters put "all 26 episodes" under one title.

Is this the "best practice" for cases like this (two series combined under the same title for foreign, especially English language, release)—for an encyclopedia editor to add a linking comment?
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Aoi_Sakaraba wrote:
I do understand. How is what I said wrong?
After how you explained it, it doesn't prove what I said is incorrect.

I didn't mean that what you said was wrong, only that you answered the reverse of my real question (i.e. I didn't wonder why Ah My Buddha had two entries, but why Girls Bravo only had one). What you said is certainly true, just not the answer to the question I had.

dormcat wrote:
The golden rule is that, if the official Japanese website or any other official document reset the episode count and start over from #1, then they are considered as two separate series.

That defintiely makes sense to me, and seems like a good rule to follow. Thanks for the explanation.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
I think I posted about this before, but it's a confusing topic so it bears repeating:

The Golden Rule is that new seasons should always be submitted as a separate series, to prevent ginormous pages with gazillions of credits. If the episode count doesn't reset between seasons, the episode list of the new season/series doesn't have to start with #1. You could have episodes 1-13 in series 1 and episodes 14-26 in series 2.

The Golden Exception is that if a lot of data has already accumulated in a single series for multiple seasons, then it's more trouble to split than it's worth. These series, like Girls Bravo, should be left as they are unless there is a very strong consensus that for some specific reason we need to undertake the work of splitting them up.

I think I'm going to add that to the FAQ.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1