• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magic anime recommendations.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
This is the new official magic themed anime recomendation thread. Hopefully it'll come in handy for all you guys and gals out there who like magical girl anime or other heavily magic themed series. This genre is not exactly my forte so I'll leave it to others to do the lion's share of recomendations.

For reference:
Quote:
magic (our world, with a touch of magic)
Story where the physical laws differ from normal on an arbitrary basis; the magic is there more as a way to propel the story than as a self-consistent part of the world. This includes stories where magic is commonly used even though the action is clearly meant to be set in our world. It also includes stories set in other worlds where magic does not appear to operate within an internally consistent framework (as opposed to fantasy).
[cannot be combined with fantasy or supernatural]

On the other hand I would endource:

Night Wizard-Transfer Student Elis Shiho is dragged into the astronomy club on her first day and befriends classmates Kureha and Hiragi, however, by meeting them she also comes to learn of the humanity's struggle with the forces of darkness which the two of them combat with magical potential. After being attacked Elis instintively discovers powers of her own and joins them and their eccentric leader Anzelotte in their quest to find seven powerful jewels.

Back to Recomendations Home

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:03 am; edited 5 times in total
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Here's the new one: To Aru Majutsu no Index. I personally think the rating should be higher than it is there, and it's a pretty entertaining show so far. There's a good mix of action, magic, sentiment, conversation, and foreshadowing. It's set in a really cool near-future world which is really awesome given the great animation job by JC Staff.
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
My-Otome

Set in a civilized world with copious amounts of ancient, advanced, and mostly lost technology, the pinnacle of the ancient knowledge manifests today as the Otome, a group of well educated and highly trained girls who have the ability to transform and become powerful soldiers. Each country sends its finest to Garderobe academy, the school that has a stranglehold on the technology to initiate Otome, in hopes of gaining power and prestige.

Of course, before the girl becomes an Otome, she must go through the process of education and training, during which she is not nearly as refined or competent. This is the story of Arika Yumemiya, a country waif in search of her mother, who enrolls at Garderobe academy, and the events that occur during her time at school.

The script is humorous, though the plot manages to weave together the serious and the light-hearted. The main characters Arika Yumemiya and Nina Wang present an interest contrast in their interaction with those around them and with each other as the events of the series unfold.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Princess Tutu

Duck/Ahiru is a girl who attends a school for ballet and the arts. However, she soon learns that she is actually a duck (the animal) who has been transformed into Duck (the girl) who can transform into Princess Tutu. A prince in a story written long long ago was battling a raven and was forced to shatter his heart in order to seal the raven away and Princess Tutu is the only character within the storybook who can return the prince's lost heart shards.

The series hits many ballets and classical motifs throughout the show, but it's undoubtably occurring in a world filled to the brim with magic, ranging from Duck's magic pendant to the ballet teach, Mr. Cat (yes, he is exactly what you think his, a giant bi-pedal cat who teaches ballet).
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Would Escaflowne count?
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
Would Escaflowne count?

I'd say Escaflowne is more a mecha anime with a fantasy setting. In any case there are no magical girls in it.

Wait. Kruszer, what exactly is the topic of this thread? The title says "magical", and the description you posted is for the "magic" genre. Your mentioned "magical girl" anime first though, and all the suggestions so far have been from that genre. Which (sub)genre are you looking for here? Because just "magic" is much broader than only "magical girls".
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quote
The description of the type of series, which this thread was billed by the mods here to recomend, is what's between the quote tags in my first post. You can read all the genre descriptions they've come with for recomendations in the master recomendations thread near the top of board as a sticky type topic. Basically, it's magical girl and non fantasy or supernatural magical related shows. I trimmed the title and the first post to make it less contradictory if that helps.

I'm not sure about the leeway they'll give you but you should use that as the guidelines for what you should recomend in this topic. Otherwise for any more specific questions you can find a link to genre descriptions topic in the master recomendations thread, in which you can post comments.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
The "supernatural" genre has its own recommendations thread, so those shouldn't be included here I think.
furizaa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Zero no Tsukaima (The Familiar of Zero)
Lousie is a noble who goes to the Tristein Academy, a school for magicians. She seems to fail at every kind of magic, and for this she is called "Zero" by her peers. During a test where the students summon familiars, Louise happens to summon Saito, an ordinary Japanese boy. The two are stuck with each other, and have to deal with various issues in the magical world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Enjeru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Maburaho deals heavily with magic. The setting is a high school for students with magic abilities. The main character has the lowest magical abilities (based on his magic count), but when a secret is revealed, many of the girls want his DNA for future generations. However, there is one girl from his past that cares for him beyond his DNA.
It is a fairly funny series with some drama in it. Not a great series IMO. The story starts off pretty strong, however it seems to struggle a bit in the middle. But still worth a watch for those looking for a magic-themed anime.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Elfen12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:09 am Reply with quote
Prétear could constitute as a Magic anime, coudln't it? Yeah. It incorporates magic with the main part of the plot. It's bascially about these knights who have magicpowers who are trying to defeta this princess of darkness figure. However, as strong as their magic powers may be, their magic doesn't allow them to defeat such a being as the princess of darkness. So, they have to find the "Prétear", a girl who can... well we'll say, a girl who can link up , or fuse, with one of the knights to have those magic powers. Although it isn't exaclty clearly stated, i believe that when the prétear "prets" (the verb of combining a knight with the prétear into one), the prétear is spoiler[a bit stronger than the original knight]. So yeah, it has to do with magic quite a bit i'd say. Yeah... Prétear.

-Elfen12-
FLMikeATT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Rental Magica is pretty good. Not just entertaining, but really informative as well. I learned a lot about Shinto and pagan magic from watching this series.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
I'd say Escaflowne is more a mecha anime with a fantasy setting. In any case there are no magical girls in it.

Wait. Kruszer, what exactly is the topic of this thread? The title says "magical", and the description you posted is for the "magic" genre. Your mentioned "magical girl" anime first though, and all the suggestions so far have been from that genre. Which (sub)genre are you looking for here? Because just "magic" is much broader than only "magical girls".

Ah, yes you have a point. I wasn't sure if this thread meant Fantasy or magical girl.
In that case, for Magical girl, I recommend Cardcaptor Sakura. Sakura a 10 year old girl finds in old book called the Clow in her dad's study. Upon opening it, she releases the Clow spirits, who are in the shape of cards, until they're power is activated. Sakura then meets Kero, the Guardian Beast of the Seal, who tells her she must become the cardcaptor and capture all the cards before they can cause a disaster. Along the way, Sakura is faced with trials and troubles as she captures the Clow cards one by one.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen that but I did enjoy Tsubasa Chronicle which is related to it, and I think would also be an excellent recomendation for this thread. Sakura activates a device in ruins near her palace and loses her memories which are scattered throughout multiple dimensions in the form of feathers. Shouran is sent to the home of the dimensional witch Youko (from XXXHolic) who gives him the means to save Sakura's life and return her memories by traveling to other parallel worlds, however, the price is pretty steep. Youko also sends with him two men who were exiled from their own worlds as allies.
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
What about Fushigi Yuugi? It's an older one, yeah, but I really enjoyed it. (I know Watase has her fair share of critics, but, personally, I enjoyed a lot of her work. Anime smile )

The plot is pretty interesting, I thought. Two girls discover an unusual book in the library. Book ends up being a portal to another world. One girl ends up in a good kingdom, the other in an evil kingdom. Throw quest to gather seven warriors, all of which are bishies, evil villain, betrayal, mushy romance, and you've got it made! Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2