Yowapeda/Yowamushi Pedal Gets Compilation Anime Film
posted on by Egan Loo
This year's combined 36th/37th issue of Akita Shoten's Weekly Shōnen Champion magazine is confirming on Thursday that the Yowapeda (Yowamushi Pedal) anime will get a compilation film this fall. Yowamushi Pedal Re:RIDE will compile the first half of the Inter High arc from the first television anime season with some cuts of new footage added. It will play in a limited two-week engagement from September 19 to October 2 in 10 Japanese theaters. While supplies last, each moviegoer will receive one of 15 randomly distributed metal character badges.
Weekly Shōnen Champion is also announcing that the upcoming second television anime season will have the title Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road. The following cast and staff are returning from the first season:
- Daiki Yamashita as Sakamichi Onoda
- Kousuke Toriumi as Shunsuke Imaizumi
- Jun Fukushima as Shōkichi Naruko
- Hiroki Yasumoto as Shingo Kinjō
- Showtaro Morikubo as Yūsuke Makishima
- Kentarou Itou as Jin Tadokoro
- Daisuke Kishio as Junta Teshima
- Yoshitsugu Matsuoka as Hajime Aoyagi
- Junichi Suwabe as Toji Kanzaki
- Ayaka Suwa as Miki Kanzaki
- Megumi Han as Aya Tachibana
- Tomoaki Maeno as Juichi Fukutomi
- Tsubasa Yonaga as Sangaku Manami
- Tetsuya Kakihara as Jinpachi Tōdō
- Satoshi Hino as Hayato Shinkai
- Hiroyuki Yoshino as Yasutomo Arakita
- Atsushi Abe as Tōichirō Izumida
- Koji Yusa as Akira Midōsuji
- Hirofumi Nojima as Kōtarō Ishigaki
- Yukari Tamura as Kotori Himeno
- Original creator: Wataru Watanabe
- Director: Osamu Nabeshima
- Series Composition: Reiko Yoshida
- Character Design: Takahiko Yoshida
- Animation Production: TMS Entertainment
Wataru Watanabe's Yowamushi Pedal (Yowapeda) manga follows Sakamichi Onoda, an otaku at Sōhoku High School. He loves anime and games so much, that he would ride his commuter bicycle to and from Tokyo's Akihabara shopping district in a 90-kilometer (about 60-mile) round trip over steep slopes after school. Onoda's life changes when he encounters his school's cycling team, and he ends up joining the competitive sport of bicycle racing.
The television anime premiered last October, and Crunchyroll streamed the anime outside of Japan as it aired. The second season will premiere in October. Japanese theater chain TOHO CINEMAS had already listed a Yowamushi Pedal film opening on September 19.
Wataru Watanabe launched the original manga in Akita Shoten's Weekly Shōnen Champion magazine in 2008, and Akita Shoten has printed 10 million copies of the manga's volumes. Besides the anime, the original manga also inspired stage plays and spinoff manga.
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history