Gundam The Origin's Yasuhiko: There Will Be More After Current Arc
posted on by Crystalyn Hodgkins
Gundam: The Origin manga creator Yoshikazu Yasuhiko stated at a screening event for Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin V: Clash at Loum (Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin V: Loum no Kaisen) on Saturday that "there will be more" of the anime series. Yasuhiko said he wants the anime to show the One-Year War arc next, but clarified that there isn't any official word yet on whether the anime will continue after the Loum Arc ends with the sixth episode.
Yasuhiko and voice actors Banjou Ginga, Shūichi Ikeda, Tohru Furuya, and Toshio Furukawa appeared at the stage event. The event was livestreamed at the first screening of the day for theaters screening the episode.
Yasuhiko had stated in an interview last month that he was open to a remake of the original 1979 Mobile Suit Gundam anime. In response to a question of whether the ongoing Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin prequel anime series will eventually continue on to the main One-Year War story of the first Gundam anime, Yasuhiko replied "I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't do it. The length of the story is no joke, though." He also stated that the staff feel the same way.
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin V: Clash at Loum, the fifth episode of the Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin anime, opened in Japan on Saturday in 35 Japanese theaters. The episode will screen for four weeks. The episode is the first in the anime's Loum Arc. The arc will end with the sixth episode, titled "Rise of the Red Comet," which will debut on May 5, 2018.
The anime project adapts Yasuhiko's manga of the same name, which in turn is inspired by the first Mobile Suit Gundam anime's story. Yasuhiko designed the characters in the first Gundam anime, and he serves as the chief director and storyboarder for the Gundam: The Origin anime. The manga has 10 million copies in print.
Thanks to Gwyn Campbell for the news tip.