• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
misc. questions and error reports

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackCox

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:58 am Reply with quote
Okay I'm going to put here a few errors that I've marked that are long overdue for fixing

1. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2, Michelle Ruff's secondary credit as Princess Euphemia/Young Lelouch is inaccurate as neither of those characters appear in this series in fact if you know what happens in the First Series of Geass you will know why Euphemia isn't in here. Secondly Young Lelouch does appear in this series but not in episode 7. It's also a minor role

2.Negima!? Alison Viktorin is credited as the Narutaki Twins, Alison Retzloff was her previous name before she was married and in fact since about somewhere around 2004-2005 she has been credited as Alison Viktorin so this is inaccurate. As well Anthony Benavides did not work on this series as he is not listed on the DVD Credits

3.Burst Angel: Infinity I marked way too many edits on this page about a year ago I know this isn't going to be good put let me summarize

Delete the following people from the page:

Andrew Rye
David Haynes
Cindy Brennan Fukunaga
Barry Watson
Daniel Cocanougher
Evan Jones (Twice)
Neal Malley
Michelle Alexander
Matt Chaney
Matthew Piersall
Chas Naylor
Duane Deering
Jayme Westman
Jeffrey Miller
Richie DeMeglio
Shane Ray
Neil Weathersbee
Jeremy Carlile
Caitlin Glass
Alese Watson

Fix the Jobs on these people to the Following

Adrian Cook-Mix Engineer
Jessie Mancilla-Video Editor
Justin Cook-Producer
Carly Hunter-Producer
Clarine Harp-DVD Producer
Akat9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote
Not sure if this goes here. 8492 Switch manga has an incorrect news link NEWS: Switch Manga, Rin Yoshi Accused of Plagiarism The article is talking about another manga with the title Switch by Rin Yoshi, not Naked Ape.

I could not find Rin Yoshi on ANN, but here is a link to the plagiarized piece where you can clearly see that it was done by a different mangaka.

http://comipress.com/news/2007/01/31/1435
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
O2.Negima!? Alison Viktorin is credited as the Narutaki Twins, Alison Retzloff was her previous name before she was married and in fact since about somewhere around 2004-2005 she has been credited as Alison Viktorin so this is inaccurate.

That has been brought up before, by both myself and one of FUNimations ADR directors, and also by some guy named JackCox so it's on the to-do list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
Akat9 wrote:
Not sure if this goes here. 8492 Switch manga has an incorrect news link NEWS: Switch Manga, Rin Yoshi Accused of Plagiarism The article is talking about another manga with the title Switch by Rin Yoshi, not Naked Ape.

Fixed, however, I couldn't find who this "Yoshi Rin" is, for I didn't have her (?) kanji name, and the romaji / hiragana is too common.

EDIT: with a combination of various search skills I've finally found her kanji name to be "吉井 凜" and should be spelled as "Yoshii, Rin." A comparison page can be found here, while the official apology by Cookie magazine can be found here.

EDIT2: looks like tenkado-shujin had already pointed out errors in ANN's news article.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
JackCox wrote:
O2.Negima!? Alison Viktorin is credited as the Narutaki Twins, Alison Retzloff was her previous name before she was married and in fact since about somewhere around 2004-2005 she has been credited as Alison Viktorin so this is inaccurate.

That has been brought up before, by both myself and one of FUNimations ADR directors, and also by some guy named JackCox so it's on the to-do list.

Like I said before, I'd rather not to touch English VA/staff, but since there has been multiple sources saying the same I think it's safe to merge the two. Alison Retzloff (her maiden name) is now listed as an alias of Alison Viktorin (her current, married name).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Is this title supposed to be in lower case? I ask because the vol 1 DVD has the same name, but with capital letters.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Is this title supposed to be in lower case? I ask because the vol 1 DVD has the same name, but with capital letters.

Check its cover picture.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
Not sure where to put that question, but maybe here is the right place for it:

Let's assume I have a complete listing of cast credits for each episode of an anime, and thus can give exact "precision" values for each character. How do I do that technically? Am I to flag all (already existing) entries as "errors" and supply the additional info there (including the Kanji source of said credits), which would look like this? Or is there any better way of doing that?

And while we're at it: Is there any semantically reasonable upper limit for episodes to be entered in one of these episode lists? (Such as: If a character appears in at least half of the episodes of a series then omit that precision setting and treat him/her/it as a regular character, as to not make those lists excessively long and unreadable?)
Any such rule would have the additional benefit of not entering spoilerish information such as an important character not appearing any longer after a certain episode.

I am interested in this precision setting because in some animes certain seiyuu specialize on playing a lot of different minor roles each of which appears in one episode only, and sometimes they play a regular character appearing in about half the episodes as well. Entering this information will cause a lot of warning messages, and without displaying the exact precision settings in the already existing major characters will make the data appear implausible and potentially erroneous despite actually being an improvement.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm too lowly to submit it myself, but Slayers Revolution and Slayers Evolution-R haven't been marked as licensed by Funimation yet.

EDIT: Thanks to whoever did that, I like having bold in My Anime Smile
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:17 am Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
And while we're at it: Is there any semantically reasonable upper limit for episodes to be entered in one of these episode lists?

I'm not offering an opinion on that, but there is a practical maximum—the precision field (at least for characters) accepts no more than 30 alphanumeric characters (I just checked).
braves

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:39 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
I'm too lowly to submit it myself, but Slayers Revolution and Slayers Evolution-R haven't been marked as licensed by Funimation yet.

Same thing with Soul Eater:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-12-31/funimation-adds-soul-eater-anime-from-media-factory

EDIT: And with Eva 1.0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Devil Doll wrote:
And while we're at it: Is there any semantically reasonable upper limit for episodes to be entered in one of these episode lists?

I'm not offering an opinion on that, but there is a practical maximum—the precision field (at least for characters) accepts no more than 30 alphanumeric characters (I just checked).
I checked something like that as well, but that was not the point of my question.

As an example, in Love Hina the sidekicks Shirai and Haitaini (Keitarou's "idiot trio" buddies) appear in "ep 1,3,7-8,10,16-19,23", and Sakata Kentarou appears in "ep 7,10-11,13,16-18,21,23-24". Would it make sense to enter this kind of information (that would be longer than their character name and might look awkward because of this)? I have this information, I just can't enter it as all the role entries exist already, and I'm not sure whether I ought to report a missing precision as "error". (In the case of Love Hina I actually did that but stayed away from characters where those lists would become excessively long.)

It would have the benefit of explaining why the seiyuu of Shirai and Haitani (or Mutsumi, another good candidate with a precision of "ep 5-6,8,13,19-24") can do lots of other minor characters (who appear in only one episode) in the same series without having to do more than one character in the same episode (which is what the precision could be intended to show but I'm not exactly sure about this). Cast entries grouped by seiyuu would become more transparent this way, and
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
Does anybody know if Leiji Matsumoto has a background in sound? I was updating my "do want" list so I decided to scroll through his credits and noticed a few out of place titles. Their sources are "DVD credits," dead, non-existent and "DVD credits" respectively. Does anybody actually know if these credits belong to the same man who created Harlock and company, or is it a different person with the same name?

Or Spam.

In other news: I'm not sure what's up with three of the four news articles listed here. (I know they're old...)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've started with the second - dead links is what the web archive is for and that page does have a full credit listing along with:

Quote:
Sound Production
TECHNO SOUND
REIJI MATSUMOTO
TOMOKO MORISHIMA

The credits on the DVD are untranslated, so all I have to do is figure out what "sound production" looks like in Japanese and try to decipher the handwritten font... OK, here's what I've got

Quote:

音響制作
テクノサウンド
松本礼司
中島朋子

The latter looks more like Nakajima than Morishima to me and the former, which is indeed read as Reiji Matsumoto but uses different Kanji to THE Leiji Matsumoto, has led me to a live page on the Madhouse site itself:
http://www.madhouse.co.jp/works/2001-2000/works_movie_kerochan_staff.html
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
松本礼司

Thanks. Also found his name in Arjuna staff.

Since Reiji Matsumoto has been merged and redirected to Leiji Matsumoto (either I or someone else did it... sigh), I think only Dan can try fixing them.
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:26 am Reply with quote
What's the policy for titles which have been reported (by Moon Phase, for example) but ended up removed or never appearing? Two o such examples are as follows:

Ichigeki Sacchu!! HoiHoi-san (TV) #8718

Gohouden: Kyousou Ibun (TV) #2343

I would think they should be removed, though the latter of the two was mentioned in an ANN news release and the former even has a comment in its data stating it was announced on Moon Phase then removed just days later. So perhaps these ought to be deleted?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 15