• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
400 Bad Request / timeout

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
I think I got something!

There seems to be a character/word limit on PMs and posts. I have two messages saved which didn't go through, one PM and one Post. When I try to submit either message in it's full length it gets stuck on loading and then goes to blank screen. I'll submit Post here in two parts.

Part one (was intended for dance in the vampire bund anime tv series thread):

I wonder how many freshly baked SHAFT+Shinbo fans industry has lost today after they watched second episode of DitVB. Yep, this is reality. SHAFT can do good and mediocre (in fact Bake is their best so far). Another thing is source material - DitVB doesn't seem to have anything going on for it.

To say it plainly I didn't like second episode and I'm dropping this. Barely five minutes into the show (not including OP) I already got bored. Nothing grabbed me by the end of the episode either. Also this series somehow manages to make fanservice look out of place, like nudity was added for kicks and is not a part of story in any way (though it might be a little to early to judge... well it had it's chance).
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
Part 2 ("other message" has only one link btw, and if requested I'll make it available as well):

This one isn't for me it seems. Though to be fair Winter season is way better than Fall season was. There are Plenty Other Things to Watch (and hopefully Seikon no Qwaser if ATX version is good).

Btw I tried posting on IE and same timeout occurs.

Problem found (or at least one of them)? Dan42, now we need your insight.

EDIT: Okey... So I tried posting same message in full length this morning and it works. This makes me look dumb. But it didn't work yesterday around midnight when I was writing this whole thing so the issue is still there. Only I am completely lost now and have no idea where it comes from.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Recently, I have been having problems posting on the forums as well. I am using wireless internet service when I attempt this. After I type up my response to a thread, I try to submit my post. It usually takes a few seconds for my post to appear. However, recently I am not able to post up replies to threads.

After clicking the submit button, Firefox (latest version) lets me know it is in the process of submitting my reply. After a minute or so, it asks me to download a file called posting.php

I have e-mailed one of the administrators about this problem. Does any one else have this problem?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:

Also kyokun703 could you please try to PM me from work, and maybe from home. My PM's don't go through to anyone... so I wonder if I can receive them, and just maybe non-working PM system is connected with timeouts (If PMs don't send on your computer at work - it's connected).

Edit: Just tried... PMs work for now, but there was a day and something blackout where they didn't work. I'll update this thread if it happens again...

I'll be back on work Tuesday. I'll see how ANN is working. I PM rarely, so I have no idea if this is working or not for me.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I was experiencing the exact same problem (Firefox). Clearing the cookies for ANN solved it.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I get that also. I am using Firefox 3.6.3 on an XP Service Pack 2 computer. Maybe the fact I have a computer that is at least 8 years old might contribute to that.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:35 am Reply with quote
I had the same issue since yesterday (Firefox 3.6.3./logged in caused HTTP-400, MSIE 8.0/not logged in had no problem).

After reading this thread I deleted only the ann_session_id cookie (i. e. one of 13 cookies that were set) which was sufficient to bypass the problem (even keeping my login alive this way).

- - - - - - -

Only a few minutes later the problem appeared again (a forum page didn't load its CSS definition and looked unreadable, the subsequent reload got the HTTP-400 again). This time I deleted all cookies... sigh.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I've been experiencing similar problems on my end the past couple weeks with accessing ANN via Firefox. This is only a minor inconvenience for me as I do have Google Chrome on hand as a backup browser as I've had difficulty running a few web sites I normally visit on Firefox. But still, I'm curious as to what is causing this problem for those using Firefox browsers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Since yesterday (20 May), I've been unable to post on the forum, update MyAnime info, vote in surveys, change account settings, in short anything that involves a form on this site.
I haven't had trouble with other sites, only ANN.
It seems that the problem isn't on my end. Have you been doing any maintenance or upgrades this week that could cause this problem? Anything I can do to help sort things out?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
I, too, have been having trouble accessing ANN for the past 2-3 days while I'm on my work computer. My home computer doesn't have any problems. Both use Firefox 3.6.3 but I have Vista at home and use XP at work. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I do know that at work if I switch to Private Browsing and don't log in, I'm fine. It's only when I log in that everything bogs down and stops working.

All other sites I visit work normally. It's just ANN while logged in.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
Just speculating, but...

The symptoms are: Only Firefox has problems, only a sporadic issue, can be bypassed by clearing cookies.

ANN has at least one cookie ("recently_visited_anime") whose content (a hyphen-separated list of anime/manga numbers) appears to permanently grow in size.

What if the content of this cookie grows beyond the maximum size cookie that is correctly implemented in Firefox? RFC2965 requires each user agent to support a cookie size of at least 4096 bytes; this could hold ca. 1100 anime numbers at ANN (most of them have four digits plus one hyphen, 10% are shorter) which a user might actually get when busily surfing the site for several months.

Does the "recently_visited_anime" cookie actually grow without any boundary?
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote
This problem seems similar to the "400 bad" Firefox users have been experiencing.

For the last 3 days I've been getting the "Internet Explorer Cannot Display Webpage" message more and more frequently and response times have been getting longer and longer. This morning I was unable to access any part of the website other than the front page. Only ANN is effected.

After deleting my browsing history and cookies it seems to be working fine, for now.

Normaly I would blame it on my operating system (&%@*!! Vista) but with it also happening to Firefox the problem seems to be a bit bigger than that.

Since this is a recent problem I have to wonder if perhaps Skuld and the other girls aren't feeling very well?
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
My problem is actually not the '400' one, but I couldn't create a new topic so I had to post in the existing one..
As someone speculated over there, it seems to be related to cookie length. In particular, it seems to be that long cookies make a page request (GET or POST) too long for the server to deal with, which leads to timeouts. If you delete some cookies and only post short messages, things appear to work, but as soon as you pass some maximum, there's no answer.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I've been both busy and unwell lately so not been posting a great deal, and I rarely make large posts anyway.. but just adding that I've not been having any of these problems in Chrome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
common sense

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
The symptoms are: Only Firefox has problems, only a sporadic issue, can be bypassed by clearing cookies.

Actually, it was even worse when I tried with Internet Explorer yesterday. It would show the loading bar and eventually give up. Even now it's still a little slow.
Firefox is working fine as of now, but it was having the same problems as my IE, though slightly better.
Chrome worked perfectly fine throughout the day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6