The List 7 Characters With Insatiable Appetites
by Lynzee Lamb, Jan 25th 2014
Taking down alien threats, saving local ecosystems, and being a pirate can really work up an appetite. This is especially true if you're a strong, burly shonen anime hero fighting to save the world. A guy like that needs more than your wimpy 2,000 calorie diet.
7. Hei (Darker Than Black) The otherwise emotionless assassin Hei cares about two things: his sister and eating absurd amounts of food. While masquerading as a Chinese exchange student, Hei is seen confusing waitstaff with his giant orders of food and devouring more bowls of ramen in one sitting than most would eat in a year. Hei eats the most when he's mentally stable, a rare occurance for a contract killer.
6. Squid Girl (Squid Girl) Ika's two goals in life are to punish humanity for polluting the ocean and spend the rest of her days eating shrimp. She more or less achieves the latter goal when the would-be ELF member ends up working in a restaurant. Besides the day-to-day responsibilities of repaying her debt, Ika enjoys eating as much shrimp as possible for a humanoid squid and taking it upon herself to relieve customer's of their food orders, too.
5. Goku (Dragon Ball Z) In Goku's case, you can't throw out an adequate Kamehameha blast without consuming enough energy first. Goku will easily clear a whole table of food and his son's appetite isn't anything to scoff at, either. Goku's need to eat is so overpowering he has attributed losing fights to opponents because he was hungry. Is this really surprising coming from a series where majority of the characters are named after food?
4. Fuu (Samurai Champloo) Samurai Champloo's petite female lead would be the last person you'd expect to enter an eating contest. In fact, the only reason Fuu didn't win was because of incorrect signal to the competition's judge. Fuu's metabolism is also scary-fast and she quickly drops her newly added weight before the episode ends. The entire scene is pretty funny and Fuu's new appearance has the serendipitous side-effect of confusing some pursuing thugs.
3. Bolt Crank (Eat-Man '98) Bolt's appetite isn't so much insatiable as it is really, really weird. Not an "I like to eat pickles and ice cream" weird, but an "I eat machine parts" weird. Bolt's undiagnosed pica disorder allows him to swallow things like screws and reassemble them internally. The item then emerges from some place on Bolt's body and is used to take out a bad guy or otherwise get out of a tricky situation.
2. Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece) Luffy's stomach is as stretchy as the rest of his Devil Fruit-enhanced body. The Straw Hat crew's captain will easily empty out any unsuspecting restaurant's pantry and is known to "sleep-eat". The guy even adjusted his wardrobe to cargo shorts in the Enies Lobby Arc just so he could carry meat in the pockets, his preferred source of energy.
1. Toriko (Toriko) Engorging himself on rare ingredients is just one part of Toriko's rugged manliness and ongoing quest to refine his palate! One of the world's expert hunters, Toriko abides by the creed "If I don't want to eat it, I will not kill it. If I kill it, I will eat it! That's my rule!" and will proceed to eat to the point of immobility. All of his culinary endeavors are in hopes of creating the perfect menu, filled with only the rarest and tastiest ingredients.
The new poll: Japanese fans recently voted on their favorite role by Kana Asumi. Which is your favorite?
The old poll: Last week's poll asked about your New Year's resolutions. According to the poll, most are hoping to find employment or get a better job. Unsurprisingly, less than !% voted to watch less anime or read less manga. Here's the full results (anything under 1% was omitted):
- Find a job/get a better job 25.6%
- Watch more anime! 21.0%
- Get in shape! 14.8%
- Finish creative projects! 11.2%
- Find a significant other! 8.9%
- Learn a new skill! 5.6%
- Travel more! 3.4%
- Read more manga! 3.19%
- Other (comment in the forums) 3.1%
- Go back to school! 3.0%
When she isn't compiling lists of tropes, topics, and characters, Lynzee works as Associate Editor for Anime News Network, blogs about women and LBGT topics in anime and manga on her blog Engendered Dilemma, and posts pictures of her son on Twitter @ANN_Lynzee.
discuss this in the forum (52 posts) |