Ponyo Not Nominated for Golden Globes (Updated)
posted on by Egan Loo
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) has announced its nominations for The 67th Annual Golden Globe Awards, and Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli's Ponyo anime film is not among the five nominated films in the Best Animated Feature Film category.
The five nominated films are:
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (Columbia Pictures and Sony Pictures Animation; Sony Pictures Releasing)
- Coraline (Laika, Inc.; Focus Features)
- Fantastic Mr. Fox (American Empirical Picture; Twentieth Century Fox)
- The Princess and the Frog (Walt Disney Pictures/Walt Disney Animation Studios; Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)
- Up (Walt Disney Pictures/Pixar Animation Studios; Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)
Neither of Miyazaki's two previous films, Spirited Away nor Howl's Moving Castle, were nominated for Golden Globes. Ponyo was among the 15 films that qualified for consideration to be nominated. The HFPA had announced that there would be five nominees for the Best Animated Feature category for the first time in the 67-year history of the awards. The awards will be presented on January 17.
Update: More background information added.
Update 2: The HFPA only began giving out Golden Globes in the Best Animated Feature category in 2007 for films released in 2006, after Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle were released in North America. Thanks, Proman.
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history