The List 7 MacGuyver Successors
by Lynzee Lamb, Feb 2nd 2013
It's one thing to build a giant robot on a military budget, but another entirely to create one out of the scrap heap out back. The following ingenious engineers proved their aptitude by taking limited resources and creating something outlandishly awesome. It might not have been a bomb out of shoestring and bubblegum, but they came pretty close.
7. Miyuki Kobayakawa (You're Under Arrest!) Catching criminals isn't police officer Kobayakawa's only joy in life; she's also got quite the head for customizing cars. Her tiny Honda Today patrol car is modified to the hilt. A real-life counterpart would be nigh impossible to build, and completely impractical by today's standards. But who cares! Kobayakawa built a super-awesome tiny car to pursue evil-doers on a shoestring budget!
6. Leona Ozaki (Dominion Tank Police) The second police officer on our list, Leona Ozaki really knows how to make the best out of a bad situation. While in pursuit of a criminal, Leona accidentally demolishes her squad leader's tank. Not ready to wave a white flag, Leona takes the parts and builds her own mini tank named Bonaparte. The tank and Leona become inseparable, much like mother and child, and she grows very protective over creation.
5. Usopp (One Piece) Usopp is often characterized as the Straw Hats' weakest crew member, but that's short changing his creative engineering abilities! While riding around with the crew and participating in pirate shenanigans, Usopp upgrades weapons, manufacturers his own ammunition, and creates some stranger items like octopus shoes and zombie purifying salt balls.
4. Masurao (Ghost Slayers Ayashi) Inventor Masurao is creates some profound gadgets given that the series takes place in 1843 during Japan's isolationism from the West. This includes "air guns" that emit no sound or gun powder and are made from paper. His most impressive achievement is quickly creating an attack robot out of random debris he found at construction site while being pursued.
3. NieA (NieA_7) Yoshitoshi ABe's NieA grew up with little expected of her because of her minority status. She freeloads on college student Mayuko's closet and eats her out of house and home. When she's not lazing about, NieA proves herself high competent when given the right materials, even building a fully-functional alien spaceship from trash materials and powering it through standard electricity. Unfortunately, the UFO didn't work as well when it was unplugged.
2. Skuld (Ah! My Goddess!) Belldandy's kid sister has built a wide array of items since she moved in with Keiichi and her sisters. Initially lacking much magical prowess, Skuld makes up for it in her engineering abilities. She's created two "living" robots, Banpei RX and Sigel, as well as other crazy tech items. Some are more stable than others, and she's even pulled off a pseudo-surgery by creating a device to remove a black hole from protagonist Keiichi's body.
1. Bulma (Dragon Ball Z) Perhaps its her knack for finding the good in things (she did marry Vegeta, after all) but somehow Bulma juggles being a single parent and inventing a time machine to send her son into the past. Over the course of her time as an inventor, she also creates a remote that disables the attacking Andriod 17 and 18, and continually upgraded armor for the Z Fighters. Most of her inventions are too complex, like the Dragon Radar that locates the Dragon Balls, and cannot be replicated. Bulma proves herself an indispensable team member, and one of the longest running in the Dragon Ball series.
The new poll: This week, I want to know which is your favorite pair of boy-girl twins? Vote in the survey and then discuss further in the forums!
The old poll: Last week's poll asked which dragon is your favorite, and I cried sad, old school tears that Record of Lodoss War's Narse wasn't higher on the list. That said, I can't argue with Spirited Away's Haku taking the #1 spot. Here's the full results:
- Haku (Spirited Away) 25.3%
- Shenlong (Dragon Ball) 12.0%
- Blue-Eyes White Dragon (Yu-Gi-Oh!) 10.2%
- Dragonite (Pokemon) 8.3%
- Filia (Slayers) 7.1%
- Hyorinmaru (Bleach) 6.0%
- Igneel (Fairy Tail) 5.8%
- Mink (Dragon Half) 5.2%
- Touma Kamijou's "The Invisible Thing" (A Certain Magical Index) 4.2%
- Peterhausen (Demon King Daimao) 4.2%
- Hakuryuu (Saiyuki) 4.2%
- Narse (Record of Lodoss War) 2.2%
- Ddraig (High School DxD) 1.8%
- Friedrich (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha) 1.2%
- Hoshimaru (Shadow Star Narutaru) 1.1%
- LED Dragon (Five Star Stories) 0.8%
- Gio (Dragonaut the Resonance) 0.5%
Alright everybody, see you all next week! I look forward to your input in the comments and feel free to follow me on Twitter @ANN_Lynzee or e-mail me at [email protected]
discuss this in the forum (46 posts) |