• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Dub Cast Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
So, to me, it sounds like our votes were 1) useless and 2) Bandai's way of seeing how close they may have gotten...
Useless might be a little too harsh a word, my guess is they wanted to see if they'd made a huge mistake or not. It's possible they might have gone back and changed some of the casting if the fan reaction was completely different from their casting pick. Most of the cast were either the first or second favorite in the poles though.

If nothing else, it was a great publicity tool and it generated a ton of traffic here about the dub and the upcoming DVDs.
LydiaDianne wrote:
BTW - Welcome Back, Richard J. Exclamation
Thank you so much! I've been lurking all along but my account was FUBAR.

Not to take the thread entirely off-track but I've been following your "couples" avatars and you cracked me up with that one from Angel Sanctuary. A Koi Kaze one would have been even better though.
neko ewen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Missing from the article:

Haruhi Suzumiya - Wendee Lee (Cowboy Bebop - Faye Valentine, Fushigi Yuugi - Yui, Love Hina - Su)

Mikuru Asahina - Stephanie Sheh (Naruto - Hinata, Bleach - Orihime)

Yuki Nagato - Michelle Ruff (Bleach - Lukia, Di Gi Charat - Rabi-en-Rose, Chobits - Chii, Tsukihime - Arcueid)

Kyon - Crispin Freeman (Xenosaga - Albedo, Ghost in the Shell - Togusa, Slayers - Zelgadis)

Itsuki Koizumi - Johnny Yong Bosch (Bleach - Ichigo, Trigun - Vash)

Ryouko Asakura - Bridget Hoffman (Xenosaga - KOS-MOS, Onegai Teacher - Mizuho, Fushigi Yuugi - Miaka, Outlaw Star - Melfina, Serial Experiments Lain - Lain, Mahoromatic - Mahoro)

Tsuruya-san - Kari Wahlgren (Chobits - Kotoko, Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar - Cinnamon)

Yeah, I respect what voice actors do and all that, but I can barely keep up with the anime themselves, much less who's doing the voices, especially in two different languages. The names by themselves don't really mean anything to me Anime smile;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
rpgmaster1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
It's really strange that we get a cast list of all the VAs and the characters they're acting from Bandai Entertainment. Makes me wonder if they're going to uncensor what was launched in that one episode where they're competing for new computers. The list of VAs is impressive, but the series is fully unionized so that explains Crispin Freeman, Kari Wahlgren, and Bridget Hoffman. We get veterans here, but the newcomers like Kate Higgins and Liam O' Brien have great potential to outshine those veterans if given the proper roles. Many VAs from other states moved to California to get more money and bigger roles. Kyle Hebert did became a union member for only a few roles and it wasn't worth it. That's why he is in Bleach since it's a non-union dub. The VA industry is fierce and unrewarding, but the fans appreciate the efforts the VAs put in their works. Union members wished they have that kind of attention and gathering, but they can only be recoginized by their voices and roles. Also, union members are literally swamped with busy schedules that they don't have much free time and go on to the next project.
BangZoomEnt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:16 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but, since the first volume is coming out in May (I believe) wouldn't they have done all of the dubbing BEFORE they did the voice polls?

From what I've read here and in other places, dubbing does take a while and I don't believe that they would have been able to finish the series in between the time the polls first came out and when they announced the dub cast.

So, to me, it sounds like our votes were 1) useless and 2) Bandai's way of seeing how close they may have gotten...

Just my opinion.

The first disc is due out in May. We just started the English Dialogue recording recently!

Smile
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Now here's my question: is the show being dubbed in broadcast or chronological order? Wink
8daze

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
BangZoomEnt wrote:
The first disc is due out in May. We just started the English Dialogue recording recently!

Smile

Ooh! There's a person who knows stuff hanging around!

I assume the recording is being done individually per usual, but is there any chance any of it might be done in a group session with all the actors recording at the same time?

Just curious. Smile
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Now here's my question: is the show being dubbed in broadcast or chronological order? Wink

I hope you're joking =P. That was one of the many anti-cliche's of the series, so there's no way they'd change that. Otherwise that would just be sick and wrong...
Dexo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
LiuXuande wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

I hope you're joking =P. That was one of the many anti-cliche's of the series, so there's no way they'd change that. Otherwise that would just be sick and wrong...

Uh...The Japanese DVD release released it in Chronological order...Well With The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina on a seperate DVD for the first DVD, but after that it was chronological
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
I'm going to grab this. I'm sure there will be more than a few people at my local Best buy with me. I don't plan to camp out or anything but i'd like to get this dvd. And maybe even a box if it has one.

I haven't seen a one episode but the idea/ the dance ending or whatever it was got me hooked and everyone is all paws and claws over it- so it must be something.

Plus I love Crispin Freeman Anime smile;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
BangZoomEnt wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but, since the first volume is coming out in May (I believe) wouldn't they have done all of the dubbing BEFORE they did the voice polls?

From what I've read here and in other places, dubbing does take a while and I don't believe that they would have been able to finish the series in between the time the polls first came out and when they announced the dub cast.

Just my opinion.

Smile

Oh wow. Okay...but it does seem like ya'll are cutting it a bit close... Shocked

And I'm wondering like the rest: Broadcast order or Chronological order?
rpgmaster1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quote
Most likely broadcast order if it's going to be aired on a network. Same goes for DVD release as well.
quigonkenny

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:08 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
And my daughter who has the remote always switched over to Japanese for Envy & complained bitterly at the anime artbook referring to Envy as female.

Well, in the artbook's defense, the character of Envy is supposed to be androgynous. And I certainly hope the reasoning behind your daughter's track-hopping habit wasn't for the same reason, as Envy was voiced by a woman in the original Japanese, as well (Yamaguchi Mayumi). Besides, while the acting in some of her other roles hasn't always agreed with me, I always thought Wendy Powell had one of the best performances in a very sold dub, as she was able to show the great amount of emotion the character had, without really going over the top, which is a definite weak point for many other English voice actors.

And as for the complaints about the validity of the asosbrigade.com "auditions"? Did anyone actually expect that there was any reason behind Bandai posting those beyond fanservice, or maybe ADR staff curiosity regarding the expectations of the more hardcore fans? Last time I checked, the only person on this forum (or at least this topic) that has any ADR casting experience is BangZoomEnt. Sure, fans know what they want, but that doesn't make them right.

Besides, it's moot anyway, as has been noted before, all the actors finally chosen for the roles were either the fans choice or the second choice (if memory serves).

Haruhi: Wendee Lee -- 2nd choice to Kari Wahlgren (but see below)
Mikuru: Stephanie Sheh -- 1st choice
Yuki: Michelle Ruff -- 2nd Choice to Kate Higgins (I think -- it was close, IIRC)
Kyon: Crispin Freeman -- 1st Choice
Itsuki: Jonny Yong Bosch -- 1st Choice

Kari Wahlgren was the fan choice for Haruhi (my choice, too), but I can easily see her as having been the fan choice for Tsuruya-san, had she been given an "audition," and I don't think anyone here (especially anyone who has seen the English dub of FLCL) can fault BZE for choosing Ms Wahlgren to voice Tsuruya-san.

So, barring me having a poor memory, BZE chose the fan choice in all but two of the polls. In one of those cases, the fan choice ended up getting a different role (and the second choice got the voted-upon role), and in the other case, it was a close vote (with the second choice again getting the role). While I agree that BZE, at best, took the poll results with a grain of salt, the final casting choices don't really give any reason to complain about it.

And it needs to be broadcast order. Definitely.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:23 am Reply with quote
My daughter felt Envy's voice was too feminine in English. She's well aware it's a gal in Japan, but she's also a big EnvyXEd fan.

They seem far less worried about lipflaps in Japan. It seems they care more about the lines being delivered properly than whether the lips are still moving or not.

As for my complaint on the New York VA's, just look at the credits. If you have to hide behind an alias like "Agent Zero" or "Shamu", it really doesn't sound like one is approaching it as a legit project. Yes, AKA's are rampant in VA work, but at least most go with something that sounds like a normal name.
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Dexo wrote:

Uh...The Japanese DVD release released it in Chronological order...Well With The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina on a seperate DVD for the first DVD, but after that it was chronological

Oh I did not know that. But that's really odd considering how after halfway through the series there would really be no suspense... It really works better when everything built up to that 'explaination'. And yeah I saw it chronologically after once 'regularly', and it was cool to understand stuff I might have missed, but it wasn't the same sort of experience and would not have been if I watched it chronologically first.
otakufan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:23 am Reply with quote
Regarding the episode order, according to asosbrigade.com there is a contractual issue that forces Bandai to release the series in the same order as the Japanese releases (meaning that "Episode 00 - The Adventures of Asahina Mikuru" is first, but it's chronological from then on... Or Haruhi order). However, the "Special Edition" DVDs (or #2-4 of the S.E. DVDs) will, in addition to everything else, contain a bonus disc which contains the series in broadcast (Kyon) order and, from what I can tell, subbed only (i.e. you want to watch it broadcast order and dubbed, get used to swapping discs around).

The full article regarding this is here.

Also, I stumbled across a thread at sos-dan.com regarding the S.E. Boxsets, their costs, and contents. The good news, every S.E. DVD comes with a LOT of fun stuff... The bad news? They run about $60 a pop. Anime hyper

The OTHER good news? It strongly hints that the manga and novels may be coming over soon as well... Very Happy

Thread here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7