News - August 2000
- Gainax releases FLCL Volume 2 & 3 with English Subtitles ()
- ADV to can Edits ()
- More DBZ on Cartoon Network ()
- Anime at 58th World Science Fiction Convention ()
- Starz Encore Action Channel Anime Chedule extended ()
- Stan Lee to invade Asia ()
- Atomic Sushi - Anime exhibition ()
- ADV Cancels Cutey Honey Re-release ()
- Kunihiko Ikuhara and Chiho Saito Q&A session at CNAnime ()
- Escaflowne DVD Update ()
- Media Blasters Poll ()
- Anime Stamps ()
- Weekly Anime ranking in Japan ()
- Anime Newsbriefs: ()
- Fantasticon Anime to Interview Nelvana ()
- Inu Yashu TV Series details ()
- Viz in the News ()
- Anime & Manga Newsbriefs ()
- Fantasticon Interview with Fox Kids ()
- Pokemon News ()
- Petitions ()
- SakuraCon Announces First Guest Of Honor ()
- Other Escaflowne Viewpoints ()
- Fantasticon to Interview Fox Kids on Wednesday August 23rd ()
- Gotta catch them all! ()
- Viz explains censorship in Dragonball Manga ()
- Atlantis is Falling ()
- Sony Music Video to distribute Manga Entertainment Titles in Canda ()
- Errata: Vampire Hunter D release date ()
- 2 page Anime article in Video Store Magazine ()
- First Escaflowne episode airs on Fox ()
- Kenshin Audio problems ()
- Weekly Newsbrief: Upcoming releases ()
- New Robotech Sketch ()
- World's Biggest Underground Comic Convention ()
- Yasuyuki Ueda and Yoshitoshi ABe transcripts online ()
- Freddie Prinze Jr. may do DBZ voice ()
- Kunihiko Ikuhara in NYC ()
- UY DVD Status Update ()
- New ADV Trailers ()
- week article on Final Fantasy Movie ()
- NanDesukan Convention Announcement ()
- Dark Horse Comics to release Akira ()
- ADV Announces City Hunter SS ()
- Hello Kitty gets her own Cafe ()
- Canadian TV Anime News ()
- Editorial: Escaflowne on Fox ()
- Samurai X / Rurouni Kenshin TSUIOKUHEN preview online ()
- Anime Interviews Online ()
- More Urusei Yatsura DVD delays ()
- Palm Pictures (Manga Entertinment) presents Free Tibet DVD ()
- Berserk Music Composer Interview ()
- Manga Officially announces Blood ()
- OTAKON in the news! ()
- Asian Film Festival ()
- More Online Petitions ()
- Kite Director's Cut ()
- brief: This weeks release and aquisition announcements. ()
- Megan Hollingshead Interview ()
- Jessica Calvello in upcoming dub of Virgin Fleet. ()
- When life imitates cartoons ()
- Sin website updated ()
- Street Fighter Zero Vs Street Fighter II DVD ()
- Disney Blinks ()
- eX-Driver preview episode to show with Ah! Megami Sama Movie ()
- 2nd Episode of Mugen No Ryvius online ()
- Two Versions of Sakura Diaries in Japan, 1 in the US ()
- UK DVD buyers get Burned ()
- New, Upraded DragonBallZ.com ()
- Chiho Saito art online ()
- Mixx loses Kare Kano ()
- Errratum ()
- Ghibli Museum to Open ()
Ohba and Obata's newest manga thriller expands its cast and slips into a comfortable rhythm for its second volume. Nick Creamer dives in. ― Platinum End's first volume established a cheekily cynical platform for a thriller. Opening with our suicidal hero Mirai, it proposed a scenario where twelve human candidates for godhood would have to fight it out, each of them blessed with some mix of angelic po...
When a manga's art is too complex to animate or a series has been on the air for a long time, artistic changes are bound to arise. Here are seven of the most striking shifts in a character's style. ― The transition from manga to anime isn't always a seamless process. Projects hire character designers to reinterpret static artwork into something that can be animated in a manageable way. This can mean...
This isekai adventure takes a turn for the slimy as its protagonist enters a fantasy world in perhaps the worst form possible. Theron Martin has the details. ― Isekai stories are pervasive in the Japanese light novel market these days, and stories where the world-jumping involves reincarnation with mind and memories intact are swiftly becoming more popular. We've already seen some odd twists on that ...
It's an original anime by Vampire Weekend frontman Ezra Koenig and famous actor Jaden Smith, along with a celebrity voice cast. What could possibly go wrong? Mike Toole investigates Netflix's latest original. ― They finally did it, folks: they animated Jaden Smith's Twitter account. That was what I thought after hearing Smith's character, Kaz, unwind the first of many bizarre pronouncements, in a bid...
just for fun
Zac and Jacob tackle Kenji Kamiyama's Napping Princess, plus the end of summer anime, new movies, and plenty of your questions! ― ANNCast Episode 306 - Nap Squad Zac and Jacob tackle Kenji Kamiyama's Napping Princess, plus the end of summer anime, new movies, and plenty of your questions! You can listen to the show on our player here, direct-download the MP3 version here, check out the show on Stitc...
Japan has an ocean of stage musicals based on anime, from Naruto to Sailor Moon - why don't they ever get released in the States? Justin considers the angles. ― Bunny asked: Sailor Moon's new musical cast were guests at a state anime convention, but I don't see it getting much further than that. We only have fansubs as a source, but I'd like to support it legally. I was wondering what would it take ...
The producer behind these anime-style action RPGs shares his inspirations as a developer and his ambitions for the simultaneous worldwide release of Code Vein! ― A long-time employee at Bandai Namco Entertainment, Yosuke Tomizawa is best known as the producer for the God Eater franchise. The God Eater games feature co-op multiplayer monster hunting within a story-focused experience. He is currently w...
So besides T&A, what is this season's Classroom of the Elite really about? Gabriella Ekens explores its takes on Nietzsche, Rousseau, and even other anime! ― What's the best way to organize society? How much power should be vested in the general population versus an elite leadership? And how should people be educated as to their best interests and true capabilities? Political philosophers have been m...
DBZ's saga comes to a close as heroes gather from across the universe to defeat Buu once and for all. Sam Leach dives into the conclusion to Toriyama's original epic. ― It's time for the final installment, not just of The Final Chapters, but of DBZ Kai as a whole. Before the recent movies and Dragon Ball Super, this was the definitive climax of Akira Toriyama's work. Appropriately, the Buu saga is ma...
Now that Re:CREATORS has concluded, did it live up to the promise of its premise? This week in anime, we break down where the series soared and where it sank. ― Now that Re:CREATORS has come to an end, did the show live up to the promise of its premise? This week in anime, Nick and Jacob break down where the series soared and where it sank. Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by the particip...
The screenwriter behind next season's URAHARA offers insights about how anime fandom has changed over the years and how Crunchyroll is perceived within the industry. ― Natsuko Takahashi is a veteran writer in the anime industry, having worked on the screenplay for projects like Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, Moyashimon, and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. Although she wasn't officially announced as a gu...
Dustin gets wet and wild with the girls of Senran Kagura on the PS4, along with this week's biggest news and other new game releases! ― You may have heard that homebrew developers—hackers, if you're feeling nasty—found a fully emulated version of NES Golf on board every shipping Nintendo Switch. After seemingly endless mystery surrounding why the ROM was there, they eventually discovered how to activ...
This straight-to-Netflix shonen manga adaptation is finally available to own on home release! Rebecca Silverman finds out if it was worth the wait. ― After an initial run on Netflix, the anime adaptation of The Seven Deadly Sins has arrived on Blu Ray and DVD. This season, which covers roughly the first fifteen volumes of Nakaba Suzuki's original manga, is a combination of interesting references to t...