The List 7 Compassionate Military Leaders
by Lynzee Lamb, Dec 1st 2012
It's December 1, and Christmas music is in full swing here in every retail store already. I got my Christmas shopping done early to beat the rat race craziness of the season. I already have moving plans underway for the end of this month, so I'll be rejoining civilization by leaving the woods to an area with cell phone reception! Southwest Washington is getting snow earlier and earlier the last few years as well. What's it look like in your neck of the woods?
This week we're counting down some of anime's best and brightest military leaders. For every Lt. Colonel Kilgore there's a Captain Staros willing to put his or her life on the line, showing a deep compassion for their subordinates.
7. Hakuoro (Utawarerumono) Masked amnesiac Hakuoro steadily gains the trust of his adoptive village, becoming a leading strategist in battles and landing the role of emperor of the newly formed Tusukuru. In his newly appointed position, Hakuoro regularly finds himself up against ruthless adversaries but proves his ability to think outside of the box and faithfulness to his new people are stronger than sheer military numbers. He truly proves his dedication to the greater good in the series' finale.
6. Major Misato Katsuragi (Neon Genesis Evangelion) Misato really wants to be the big sister role model to her enlisted pilots, just sometimes those in higher command or her own issues get in the way of doing a good job. Her heart is in the right place, but she ends up leaning on Shinji as much as he leans on her. Still, she's a highly competent tactical officer and shows concern for her charges when they appear to be in grave danger.
5. 2nd Lieutenant Alice Malvin (Pumpkin Scissors) 2nd Lt. Alice Malvin is noble by birth. She is idealistic to a fault, hoping to cut through evil influences in the war-torn countryside. She forms the Army's war relief unit to directly combat this, takings on war profiteers, gangs, and drug dealers looking to take advantage of the weakened public. However, her rashness sometimes spells danger for her unit.
4. Col. Roy Mustang (Fullmetal Alchemist) Col. Mustang has all the makings of a hard-ass military officer pursuing political aspirations. He's almost always in uniform while presenting himself as aloof and self-concerned, but that isn't fair when you look at his actions. Mustang's relationship with his subordinate, Lt. Hawkeye, is deep and Mustang's true colors truly show after the unfortunate demise of his best friend, Maes Hughes.
3. General Andreas Darlton (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion) Who'd think the harsh-looking Britannian General would be the example of equal rights and charity? Darlton shuns the rampant racism flourishing in the Empire, stating that an individuals merit is based on their actions. He goes further by openly supporting Suzaku's knighthood and clapping at his ceremony. He also takes five orphaned boys under his wing, Alfred, Bart, Claudio, David, and Edgar, raising them up as Glaston Knights.
2. 13th Division Captain Jūshirō Ukitake (Bleach) Loved by children and shinigami alike, Captain Jūshirō Ukitake treats everyone around him with utmost respect. Ukitake also adheres to a moral code, swearing to protect his men at all costs and standing up for what he truly believes is right, a trait that saves Rukia's life.
1. Captain Bright Noa (Gundam franchise) Bright Noa is a little slap-happy, but his tough love, keen military strategy, and quick decision making earned him his spot as captain of famous ships like the White Base, Argama, Nahal Argama. He has a strict adherence to military code and won't accept insubordination from his angsty-teenage pilots but he balances this with training some of the brightest pilots in series. A loyal and dedicated leader, Noa chooses to the best decision for his men, even when it means defecting from the government.
The new poll: The Sengoku Era (Warring States) period in Japanese history seems to inspire an anime adaptation every season. Of the following series taking place in the Sengoku Era, which is your favorite?
The old poll: Last week's poll asked which anime detective you'd hire to take on a case. Teen-turned-boy detective Conan Edogawa put the other choices to shame with almost half the vote! Here's the full results:
- Detective Conan 44.7%
- L (Death Note) 19.4%
- Inspector Zenigata (Lupin III) 9.4%
- Nougami Neuro (Neuro - Supernatural Detective) 7.1%
- Detective Gumshoe (Phoenix Wright) 6.3%
- Loki (Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok) 5.1%
- Sherlock Shellingford (Tantei Opera Milky Holmes) 4.1%
- Yakumo Saitō (Psychic Detective Yakumo) 3.9%
Alright everybody, see you all next week! I look forward to your input in the comments and feel free to follow me on Twitter @ANN_Lynzee.
discuss this in the forum (60 posts) |