Dragon Quest: Your Story CG Anime Film Reveals 5 Character Roles
posted on by Rafael Antonio Pineda
The official website for Dragon Quest Your Story, the Dragon Quest game franchise's first 3D CG anime film, revealed which characters that five cast members will play in the film on Tuesday. The website announced the cast members in April, but did not specify their roles then.
The newly announced roles include: (Top row, left to right in image above):
- Kendo Kobayashi as Sancho
- Ken Yasuda as Pusan (Dr. Agon in the English version of Dragon Quest V)
- Suzuki Matsuo as Ludman (Rodrigo Briscoletti in the English version)
(Botoom row, left to right):
- Chikako Kaku as Martha (Madalena in the English version)
- Kōichi Yamadera as Surarin (Rocket in the English version)
Previously announced cast members include: (Top row, left to right in image above):
- Kasumi Arimura as Bianca
- Takeru Satoh as Ryuka, the protagonist
- Haru as Flora (Nera in the English version of Dragon Quest V)
(Second row from top, left to right):
- Kentaro Sakaguchi as Prince Henry (Harry in the English version)
- Takayuki Yamada as Papas (Pankraz in English version), Ryuka's father
Other cast members from the above image without named roles yet include:
The film's story is based on the Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride game's story.
Yuji Horii, who created the franchise at Enix (before its merger with Squaresoft to form Square Enix), is credited for the original story and supervision. Takashi Yamazaki (Stand By Me Doraemon, live-action Parasyte films, live-action Space Battleship Yamato film) is the chief director and scriptwriter, and Ryūichi Yagi (Stand By Me Doraemon, Friends: Naki on Monster Island) and Makoto Hanafusa (Stand By Me Doraemon art director) are directing the film. The game franchise's composer Koichi Sugiyama is also composing the film's music.
The film will open in Japan on August 2.
The first Dragon Quest game debuted in 1986. The collective Dragon Quest series has since sold 76 million units worldwide.
The franchise's most recent main game, Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Dragon Quest XI: Sugisarishi Toki o Motomete), shipped in Japan for PlayStation 4 and Nintendo 3DS in July 2017. The game launched for both PlayStation 4 and PC (via Steam) in North America and Europe last September. The game has shipped 4 million copies worldwide, including digital download copies. The game's Switch version, Dragon Quest XI S: Sugisarishi Toki o Motomete, is slated for release this year.
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history