• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Slated for 2017 Holiday Season

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kenji Hiramatsu, and Manami Kiyota are returning from the first game to compose the game's music. Video game localization company 8-4, which handled Xenoblade Chronicles X, will not handle localization for Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

I thought Sawano composed the music in the first game?

Glad to hear they dropped 8-4. Maybe content won't get cut this time. The switch is at least region free though so there is that.
Robbl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Quote:
Kenji Hiramatsu, and Manami Kiyota are returning from the first game to compose the game's music. Video game localization company 8-4, which handled Xenoblade Chronicles X, will not handle localization for Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

I thought Sawano composed the music in the first game?

Glad to hear they dropped 8-4. Maybe content won't get cut this time. The switch is at least region free though so there is that.

Sawano did the music for Xenoblade Chronicles X not the original Xenoblade Chronicles.
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Huh, no Shulk.

Oh, well.
Still hyped for this game!!
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Huh, no Shulk.

None of the original crew has been advertised so far, though I'd imagine they'd play some sort of role given that this is apparently a direct sequel. Might be the Architect referenced, which would be ironic.

Still not a fan of the characters designs, but I'm glad it's confirmed that we're getting Xenoblade Chronicles 2 this year.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to have an idea why they changed the character designs. Some of the names that popped up were really surprising.

After hearing it's voice acting, to be honest, I'm more interested now.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
I'm starting to have an idea why they changed the character designs. Some of the names that popped up were really surprising.

In what way? It's awful.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
In what way? It's awful.

I'm not saying I like it too. And I'm not sure about this either. But I'm guessing from a practical standpoint, it makes it easier to keep the visual tone uniform since they're still not used with the new hardware. I imagine they're trying to create "3D sprites" instead of the previous style of character models.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:

The voice acting was some of the worst I've ever heard, I'm hoping you mean that it makes you more interested in a hate-watch sort of way.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
I should really get back into the original game, even if does have hilariously bad British acting for all of the characters. It's just really hard to take a game seriously when every cutscene feels like a casual conversation.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
I should really get back into the original game, even if does have hilariously bad British acting for all of the characters. It's just really hard to take a game seriously when every cutscene feels like a casual conversation.
Uhh no, the English Xenoblade 1 dub is fantastic and it honestly felt like a miracle that it turned out so well. Shulk's VA alone portrays the convincing "I'LL KILL YOU!!!!!" I've ever seen in a video game dub.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if I should give Monolithsoft a benefit of a doubt on Xenoblade 2 since this is their take on boy finding a magical girlfriend weapon. The big thing I'm worried is that Xenoblade 2 could be at risk at making this too derivative because they're playing off too closely towards the elements of what made Xenoblade enamored.
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
Personally, I couldn't make it through more than a few seconds into this section of the Spotlight* other than by switching over to the Japanese version at that point. And this is awesome.

Going on the billing card towards the end, that's Hiro Shimono (Ayato in RahXephon), Shino Shimoji (Tōru in Seiren), Hitomi Ōwada (Sana in Alice & Zōroku), Mitsuki Saiga (Tsukasa in .hack//SIGN), Tesshō Genda (!) (Ryūsaku in Akira, Shū in Dragon Ball), Takahiro Sakurai (!!) (Cloud in Final Fantasy, Griffith in Berserk) and Yūichi Nakamura (!!!) (Gray in Fairy Tail) that Nintendo doesn't want** any non-fluent readers of Japanese to hear. (Whom is voicing whom is pretty obvious other than wether the girl-in-the-hat is Ōwada or Saiga, as only one of the two is heard as far as I can tell: is anyone who knows them better able to make an informed guess?)

*And I don't say this as a weeaboo for whom anything English-language is bad by default; I say it as a weeaboo who listens to English-language audio dramas and books more often than seeing anime and, off the top of my head, would be inclined to name The Boxtrolls and Princes et Princesses as examples of superb voice casts in movies before getting on to any Japanese ones (well, maybe those along with your name.). Perhaps that's contributed to make me particularly perceptive to awkwardness, and especially in UK accents… Or, perhaps the lead's performance is just as lacking as half of people are rating it.

And it is their choice to make: capacity of storage medium, at least, has been no obstacle since DLC became a thing, though it's taken till 2017 for it to be utilised in such a way. Persona 5 and Breath of the Wild's language packs come free of charge, but I suspect a turning point will be when a publisher experiments with offsetting the additional licensing and programming costs by charging for the option. If original language options become relabeled in publisher's minds from "extra expenditure for no noticeable reward" to "extra money, even for resales" then you won't able to get away from them.

For completeness, Fire Emblem Warriors has real-life younger brother and older sister Yūma and Maaya Uchida in addition to, so far, Tomokazu Sugita, Hikaru Midorikawa, Satomi Satō, Yūichi Nakamura again and Katsuyuki Konishi.

Spike Terra wrote:

Just checking you know that the original Xenoblade definitely includes the option of the original voices? Unless that was changed for North America, in which case severe apologies for rubbing salt into that wound, or the above was rather meant in comparison to better English acting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1