Dancing with the Anime Stars: Which OP/ED Sequence Ranks Highest?
posted on by Lynzee Loveridge
Nothing can help guarantee an anime series becomes a seasonal hit more than a well-choreographed dance sequence, if we ignore decent characterization, well animated action sequences, or dramatic betrayals. Some series go into full Broadway musical mode like Dance with Devils and others focus on dancing as an actual sport, like Welcome to the Ballroom. Anime doesn't have to center around dancing to pull off a great number though, sometimes viewers need to look no further than the opening or ending sequence.
Goo! Ranking asked its readers to pick their favorite dance sequences from anime series. The top groove came from the more recent Blood Blockade Battlefront series but participants also looked way back to find some of anime's best dancers.
- "Sugar Song to Bitter Step" (Blood Blockade Battlefront)
- "Hare Hare Yukai" (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
- "Koi wa thrill, shock, suspense" (Detective Conan)
- Several OP/EDs (Yo-kai Watch)
- "Lum no Love Song", "Kokorobosoi na" (Urusei Yatsura)
- "Motteke! Sailor Fuku" (Lucky Star)
- "Hot Stuff" (Cat's Eye)
- "Seikanhikō" (Macross F)
- "Splash Free!" (Free!)
- "Kurutto, Mawatte, Ikkaiten", "AFRO Gunsou" (Sgt. Frog)
If you need more examples of anime characters dancing to their hearts' content, check out this entry in The List column. Have you ever memorized an anime or maybe an idol's dance choreography? Let us know in the forums.