Talk Show Host Conan O'Brien Makes Cameo in Death Stranding
posted on by Kim Morrissy
Death Stranding director Hideo Kojima tweeted on Twitter on Thursday that late night talk show host Conan O'Brien is making a cameo in the game. He will appear as "The Wandering MC" and will give the player character a Sea Otter Suit, which will make it possible to swim faster.
Conan O'Brien appears as a prepper “The Wondering MC” in DS. You get “Sea Otter Suit” when you get connected with him. With this suit, you'll be able to swim easily in the river, you won't be drifted away! BB would be happy as well. 👍🌈🦀☔️🐟🐋🐬💀👶✋🤩😍 pic.twitter.com/nIsw5JS5t0— HIDEO_KOJIMA (@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN) October 24, 2019
The full context behind Conan O'Brien's appearance is revealed in a segment of the Conan O'Brien Show which was posted online on Wednesday. During his trip to Japan last year, Conan visited Kojima Productions and exchanged jokes with Hideo Kojima himself. Kojima tells Conan that he can be in the game if he wants to, and points him to the 3D scanner. Conan wants to be the main character and insists he's got the body for it, but that's not quite the role Kojima envisions for him.
The game's cast in both English and Japanese includes:
- Norman Reedus / Kenjiro Tsuda as Sam Bridges (character modeled on Norman Reedus)
- Lindsay Wagner / Kikuko Inoue as Amelie (character modeled on Lindsay Wagner)
- Léa Seydoux / Nana Mizuki as Fragile (character modeled on Léa Seydoux)
- Jesse Corti / Akihiko Ishizumi as Deadman (character modeled on director Guillermo del Toro)
- Troy Baker / Satoshi Mikami as Higgs
- Tommie Earl Jenkins / Akio Ohtsuka as Die-Hardman
- Mads Mikkelsen / Kazuhiro Yamaji as Cliff
- Maaya Sakamoto as Mama (model based on actress Margaret Qualley, English voice actor unknown)
- Darren Jacobs / Houchu Ohtsuka as Heartman (model based on filmmaker Nicolas Winding Refn)
Kojima Productions describes the game:
Besieged by death's tide at every turn, Sam Bridges must brave a world utterly transformed by the Death Stranding. Carrying the stranded remnants of the future in his hands, Sam embarks on a journey to reunite the shattered world one step at a time. What is the mystery of the Death Stranding? What will Sam discover on the road ahead? A genre defining gameplay experience holds these answers and more.
Kojima Productions is developing the game using Guerilla Games' Decima Engine. The game will be an action game, and will have open-world elements with "some degree of freedom." Kojima stated the game's name originates from the phenomenon of cetacean stranding, where dolphins and whales wash up on land and die. While other games offer elements analogous to "sticks" for gameplay, Death Stranding will also offer "ropes" to tie and link players together.
The game will ship on November 8.
[Via Siliconera (Jenni)]