Kadokawa's English BookWalker Manga App Launches With Ga-Rei, Magical Warfare, Riddle Story of Devil, Tokyo Ravens
posted on by Lynzee Loveridge
Japanese publisher Kadokawa launched its English BookWalker app with new manga volumes, including titles from Viz Select and Dark Horse. Kadokawa added Ga-Rei by Hajime Segawa, Magical Warfare by You Ibuki and Hisashi Suzuki, Riddle Story of Devil by Sunao Minakata and Yun Kouga, and Tokyo Ravens by Kouhei Azano, Atsushi Suzumi, and Sumihei.
Kensuke Nimura has always been able to see spirits, but he never expected to find himself helping a girl named Kagura who battles evil spirits with her spirit beast, Byakuei. As it turns out, she's a member of the Ministry of the Environment's top-secret Occult Disaster Response Agency, and she's out to recruit him, too...The manga inspired the Ga-rei: Zero television anime and Funimation released the series on home video in North America. Segawa ended the series after 12 volumes in 2010.
Magical Warfare is the manga adaptation of Hisashi Suzuki's light novel series. Kadokawa describes the story:
"I'm sorry... I turned you into a magician!" Takeshi Nanase, a high school student in the regular world, meets Mui Aiba, a girl from a world of decay, and finds himself caught up in a grand magical war. It's a war to help Mui, a war to save the world, and a war to change destiny. The curtain rises on this modern tale of authentic magical action.Kadokawa released the manga's fourth compiled volume in August. Suzuki's novel series also inspired the 12-episode television anime this year. Sentai Filmworks licensed the series for release in North America.
Yun's Riddle Story of Devil assassin girl manga inspired a 12-episode anime series in April. Kadokawa describes the story:
At an all-female boarding school, a student named Haru Ichinose is the sole target of a class made up entirely of assassins. One of these assassins is Tokaku Azuma, who transferred from another school for the job, but soon she is drawn in by Haru and chooses to protect her instead of kill her. And thus begins this extreme student life!
Funimation licensed the anime series for home video release in North America. The manga is currently running in Kadokawa Shoten's Newtype magazine. Kadokawa will release the third compiled volume in December.
Tokyo Ravens is the manga adaptation of Kouhei Azano top-selling light novel series. Kadokawa describes the story:
"Make me your familiar..." The curtain rises on a jewel of a schoolday fantasy series!
Harutora Tsuchimikado was born into a famous clan of shamans, but he doesn't even have the spirit sight. He's perfectly content to spend his days with his friends at a rural branch school for shamans. But his fate is turned upside down with the reappearance of Natsume Tsuchimikado, the heir to the clan and his childhood friend...
Suzumi's manga adaptation is currently running in Kadokawa's Shonen Ace magazine. The company released the 10th compiled volume last month. The light novels also inspired a television anime series last year. Funimation streamed the series as it aired in Japan.
BookWalker's library currently includes:
- Chibi Vampire 1-14 by Yuna Kagesaki (Viz)
- Deadman Wonderland 1-5 by Jinsei Kataoka and Kazuma Kondou (Viz)
- DNAngel 1-13 by Yukiru Sugisaki (Viz)
- Fate/Stay night 1-10 by Dat Nishiwaki (Viz)
- Future Diary 1-7 by Sakae Esuno (Viz)
- Ga-Rei 1 by Hajime Segawa (Kadokawa)
- Kyo Kara MAOH! 1-2 by Temari Matsumoto (Viz)
- Lagoon Engine 1-4 by Yukiru Sugisaki (Viz)
- Legal Drug omnibus by CLAMP (Dark Horse)
- Lucky Star 1-4 by Kagami Yoshimizu (Viz)
- Mad Love Chase 1 by Kazusa Takashima (Viz)
- Magical Warfare 1-2 You Ibuki and Hisashi Suzuki (Kadokawa)
- Million Tears 1 by Yuana Kazumi (Viz)
- Miyuki-Chan in Wonderland by CLAMP (Viz)
- Riddle Story of Devil 1-2 by Sunao Minakata and Yun Kouga (Kadokawa)
- St. Lunatic High School 1-2 by Majiko! (Viz)
- Suki: A Like Story 1-2 by CLAMP (Viz)
- Tokyo Ravens 1 by Kouhei Azano, Atsushi Suzumi, and Sumihei (Kadokawa)
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time by Ranmaru Kotone (Viz)
- Trinity Blood 1-8 by Sunao Yoshida and Kiyo Kyujyo (Viz)
The app also plans to add light novels in the future. The app is available for Android, iOS, and browser viewing.
Kadokawa also runs its separate ComicWalker app. The app publishes different manga series as chapters are released in English, Japanese, and Traditional Chinese.
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history