News Mazinger Z: Infinity Anime Film Casts Ryouichi Tanaka, Kana Ueda, Kaede Hondo
posted on 2018-01-05 21:10 EST by Egan Loo
The staff on the Gekijōban Mazinger Z / Infinity (Movie Version Mazinger Z: Infinity) film announced additional cast members on Saturday. Ryouichi Tanaka played Akira Fudō/Devilman in Mazinger Z creator Go Nagai's 1972 Devilman television anime and 1973's Mazinger Z Vs. Devilman anime film, and he also played Great Mazinger's pilot Tetsuya Tsurugi in 1974's Mazinger Z tai Ankoku Daishōgun anime film. However, the Mazinger Z: Infinity staff is deliberately keeping Tanaka's role in the upcoming film a secret, and teases that fans must watch the film to find out.
Other newly announced cast members include Kana Ueda as the familiar character Misato (pictured top right in image below), the Kabuto family's former housekeeper and a distant relative of Kabuto's old comrade Boss (left). Kaede Hondo plays Misato's daughter (bottom right).
The cast includes:
- Showtaro Morikubo as Koji Kabuto, the original protagonist of the first Mazinger Z anime, who has now retired from fighting and become a researcher.
- Ai Kayano as Sayaka Yumi, the new head of the Photon Research Laboratory, and the story's heroine
- Sumire Uesaka as Lisa, a mysterious girl who holds the key to the story
- Natsuki Hanae as Shiro Kabuto, a gifted young pilot, and Koji's brother
- Wataru Takagi as Boss, Koji's old comrade-in-arms, and a reliable friend
- Kappei Yamaguchi as Mucha, one of Boss' henchmen
- Masami Kikuchi as Nuke, one of Boss' henchmen
- Junpei Morita as Prime Minister Yumi, Japan's prime minister, and Sayaka's father
- Bin Shimada as Dr. Nossori, a very slow scientist
- Kōzō Shioya as Dr. Sewashi, a scientist who loves research
- Unshō Ishizuka as Dr. Hell, a brilliant but evil scientist hellbent on world domination
- Hiroyuki Miyasako and Romi Park as Baron Ashura
- Toshihiko Seki as Tetsuya Tsurugi, a hero who fought alongside Koji Kabuto to save mankind
- Ami Koshimizu as Jun Honoo, a soldier who once fought alongside Tetsuya, and is now married and pregnant with his child
- Keiji Fujiwara as Count Brocken, a faithful minion of Dr. Hell, who joined his plans for world domination
- Azusa Tadokoro, Miku Itō, Yui P, and Okarina as the Mazin-Girls, the Combined Army's fighting idols
Hiroya Ishimaru and Minori Matsushima, the voice of Koji Kabuto and Sayaka Yumi in the original anime, will also have roles in the film. Additionally, characters from the Great Mazinger anime and the Great Mazinger robot itself will also appear in the film.
Toei Animation describes the completely original story:
Humanity was once in danger of its downfall at the hands of the Underground Empire, which was led by the evil scientist Dr. Hell. Koji Kabuto piloted the super robot Mazinger Z, and with help from his friends at the Photon Power Laboratory, he thwarted Dr. Hell's evil ambitions and returned peace to the world.
It's been ten years since then... No longer a pilot, Koji Kabuto has taken after his father and grandfather by starting down the path of the scientist. He encounters a gigantic structure buried deep beneath Mt. Fuji, along with a mysterious indication of life...
New encounters, new threats, and a new fate await mankind. The former hero Koji Kabuto has a decision to make about the future: whether to be a god or a demon...
This grand action film depicts the fierce battle fought by the people and Mazinger Z--once again entrusted with the future of mankind!
Junji Shimizu (One Piece: Episode of Chopper - The Miracle Winter Cherry Blossom, Precure All Stars New Stage: Mirai no Tomodachi) is directing off a script by ume's Takahiro Ozawa (Tokyo Toybox, Steves). Takayuki Yanase (Ghost in the Shell Arise, Mobile Suit Gundam 00) is drafting the mechanic designs, and Hiroya Iijima (Afro Samurai) is designing the characters. Green's Makoto Ujiie (Gundam franchise, EUREKA SEVEN AO) is handling the background art, and Yō Nakano is serving as assistant director.
Toshiyuki Watanabe (Space Brothers, Ginga Hyōryū Vifam, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Ginga Kikōtai Majestic Prince) is composing the film's music. Watanabe's father, composer Michiaki Watanabe, composed the music for Mazinger Z and its movies, and Great Mazinger and its movies.
The film is commemorating the 45th anniversary of the original Mazinger Z manga and television anime series. Toei Animation is producing the project, and Toei will distribute the film.
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history