Live-Action Hollywood Alita: Battle Angel Film's Japanese Dub Casts Mone Kamishiraishi
posted on by Jennifer Sherman
20th Century Fox's official Japanese website for Alita: Battle Angel — James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez's live-action film of Yukito Kishiro's Battle Angel Alita (GUNNM) manga — revealed on Thursday that Mone Kamishiraishi (Your Name.'s Mitsuha Miyamizu, live-action Chihayafuru's Kanade Ōe) will voice the title character in the Japanese dub of the film. Kamishiraishi appeared at a collaboration lighting ceremony at Tokyo Skytree Town on Thursday for the announcement.
The film will star Rosa Salazar (Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials, The Divergent Series: Insurgent, Man Seeking Woman) in motion capture as Alita. Other reported cast members include:
- Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained, Spectre, The Legend of Tarzan) as Doctor Dyson Ido, "the cybersurgeon who finds the cyborg [protagonist] and becomes her mentor."
- Jackie Earle Haley (Watchmen, A Nightmare on Elm Street remake, Preacher, The Dark Tower, The Birth of a Nation) as "a monstrous cyborg in a villain role that will call for plenty of CG and greenscreen."
- Ed Skrein (The Transporter Refueled, Deadpool) as Zapan, "a villainous cyborg who is in possession of a weapon called the Damascus blade."
- Keean Johnson (Nashville, Spooksville) as Hugo, the "love interest" and "a young man who teaches Alita how to play a gladiator-style game called Motorball but who also has a secret side job stealing robot parts."
- Eiza Gonzales (From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series)
- Jorge Lendeborg Jr. (Spider-Man: Homecoming,The Land) as the "cunning and sly friend" of Keean Johnson's character.
- Lana Condor (X-Men: Apocalypse) as Koyomi, an orphaned teenage photographer in the manga.
- Leonard Wu (Marco Polo) as Kinuba, a cyborg character in the manga.
- Marko Zaror (Machete Kills) as Ajakutty, a Motorball player who also appears in the original manga.
- Jennifer Connelly (American Pastoral, Hulk, Dark Water) as one of the film's villains.
- Michelle Rodriguez (Fast and the Furious) as Gelda.
- Mahershala Ali (Moonlight, Hidden Figures) as two unspecified roles
The Hollywood Reporter described the film:
Set in the 26th century, Alita: Battle Angel tells of a female cyborg that is discovered in a trash yard by a scientist. With no memory of her previous life except her deadly martial arts training, the woman becomes a bounty hunter, tracking down criminals.
The action-adventure story is meant to serve as a backdrop to themes of self-discovery and the search for love.
Robert Rodriguez (El Mariachi, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Sin City, Spy Kids) is directing the film. James Cameron and his Lightstorm Entertainment partner Jon Landau are producing the project, and Shutter Island's Laeta Kalogridis penned a script.
In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Rodriguez said that the film is a self-contained story but "it tunes up a world and a character that could go on and on." Cameron originally planned for a film trilogy.
The film will get an IMAX release.