6 Bumbling Magic Users
by Lynzee Loveridge,
Is there anything more dangerous than someone equal parts magic and incompetence? The six entries on The List this week all have latent magical abilities but lack the concentration to deliver them properly and thus put their friends and family at risk.
6. Cha Cha (Akazukin Cha Cha) Cha Cha is the victim of magic dictated by puns! As a magic user in training, one can only imagine how horrifying it is to try and conjure clouds (kumo) and instead get spiders (also kumo). Cha Cha gets a little help from magic items that turn her into a Magical Princess with the help of her two friends. As the more competent Princess, Cha Cha can wield magic items and defeat monsters. In her every day classroom assignments, she's still messing up the basics.
5. Sae Sawanoguchi (Magic User's Club) Sae has a lot of potential as a magic users and protector of Earth from alien invasions. She has trouble with the basics, like flying on a broomstick, and concentrating long enough to get a spell out correctly. Fortunately for Sae, the alien object "invading" Earth is mostly docile.
4. Mayu Tsukimura (Goshūshō-sama Ninomiya-kun) Mayu is the female lead of Goshūshō-sama Ninomiya-kun and a succubus with a fear of men. She cannot control her inert power of attraction and so is often chased by love drunk men. She's very clumsy which is the main source of the series' fanservice.
3. Louise Françoise le Blanc de la Vallière (The Familiar of Zero) Louise is best known for blowing things up in fits of rage across her magic academy and summoning a human familiar in place of the typical magical creature. The human, Saito, is pretty useful though and his summoning wasn't a unique act in the continent of Halkeginia, either. Louise's ineptitude and temper prove more dangerous than some of the villains in the series until she gets a much better grasp on her abilities in the 3rd and 4th seasons.
2. Koyomi Morishita (Modern Magic Made Simple) The child-like Koyomi only decides to become a magic users because she sucks at everything else. Her magic skills don't prove much better at the start of the series, with her only noticeable skill is rewriting "code" to summon a washbasin gag. She displays more abilities, like defensive magic, as time goes on but remains in over her head most of the time.
1. Puni Puni Poemy (Puni Puni Poemy) Shinichi Watanabe's weird magical girl OAV stars Poemi Watanabe, a weird kid who transforms into a weirder hyperdestructive magical girl. She skins a fish to turn it into a magic wand which she immediately loses, only to forget all of her magical abilities and take on a giant robot in hand-to-hand combat. In her pursuit of hero status, she reprimands everyday citizens for mundane tasks and destroys an entire country via nuclear missle.
The new poll: Dude, summer! You know the drill. Which series are you most looking forward to?
The old poll: Last week's poll asked which of the listed demon kings would rule supreme? Here's the full results:
- Sadao Maou (Hataraku Maou-sama!) 26.0%
- Demon King (MAOYU) 14.1%
- Laharl (Disgaea) 13.2%
- Enki (Yu Yu Hakusho) 10.2%
- Yuri Shibuya (Kyo Kara Maoh!) 8.1%
- Akuto Sai (Demon King Daimao) 6.4%
- Dabura (Dragon Ball Z) 6.1%
- Daimaou (Beelzebub) 4.8%
- Forbesii (Shuffle!) 3.4%
- Demon King AI (Level E) 2.3%
- Aldra (Queen's Blade) 2.3%
- Sasha Dejanstahl Voban (Campione!) 1.2%
- Verard (11eyes) 1.1%
- Ryo Utsugi (Demon Lord Dante) 0.9%
Alright everybody, see you all next week! I look forward to your input in the comments and feel free to follow me on Twitter @ANN_Lynzee or e-mail me at [email protected]
discuss this in the forum (21 posts) |