• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
How about we talk about this review, and not drag up old wounds from the first-season review?
irishninja

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
How about we talk about this review...?

It was a fun review to read. Very Happy

It's always interesting to me to see how creatively reviewers can praise something that isn't necessarily good overall but that has some solid (or even excellent) parts. Smile
Veers

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, A's inconsistant (or perhaps consistantly sloppy) animation really was distracting at times. That said, you gotta admit with stuff like episode 7's duel between Signum and Fate is just fun, even when it kinda looks like seven different animators were drawing the frames without communicating and the backgrounds look like they were drawn with MS Paint.

And while the writing isn't anything memorable, I did like the lack of obvious badguy and how the knights presented a moral delima for Nanoha and Fate. I'ts been a while since I saw the show so I can't really remember how much actual character development everyone gets (IIRC most of the cast is static in A's), but I found Vita, Signum, and Chrono to be great supporting characters, and Fate is far more interesting in A's than she was in season one.

I still say that, for what it's worth, A's is the best of the Nanoha stuff. Season one is just boring and StrikerS has a decent second half but takes way too long to get rolling. Overall, Nanoha has a lot of problems, as this pretty fair review points out, and isn't something I'm ever quick to recommend, but it has its fun moments.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I'll tell you when I knew I had to see this series: while visiting TvTropes.org, I stumbled upon an entry that featured at the top of the page the cover for a Japanese magazine featuring people from Nanoha and the subtext read something like: spoiler[What is Nanoha doing hanging around with the villains from the first and second seasons?] My mind went all "that sounds like the kind of show I'd watch, it being Magical Girls crap regardless" and I have the discs with me now.

I haven't popped it into the DVD player yet, though. Maybe today...
Brians9824

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I guess one of the points of re-using previously used elements and plot twists is kinda meh though. I mean what show out there DOESN'T re-use something that someone else already used?

The whole deal with the knights and how they fit into the plot was refreshing.

Unlike the first season which had a clear cut villian in fate's mother the knights were a refreshing change of pace spoiler[they weren't good nor evil, they were merely doing what they thought was necessary to save the life of someone they cared about greatly]
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I don't even want to know how any self-respecting reviewer can give this show a C+. This is honestly one of the most well-created anime I've ever seen. I can only assume you completely missed the point, overlooked the complexity, and utterly FAILED.

I've actually reviewed this show as well, which you can read here if you want to see where our views differ: http://fuzakenna.com/2009/04/26/mahou-shoujo-lyrical-nanoha-as-straightforward-structural-perfection/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Brians9824 wrote:
Its definitely nice to see a good review by a non biased person for this series.

Actually, I'd argue they're both biased: Kliminger loathes just about anything that smacks of moe and lolicon, whereas Martin actually kind of likes that sort of thing (see his review of Clannad as an example). You only see it as "unbiased" because you agree with it.

Check the byline. Carlo reviewed this volume, not Theron. Carlo is pretty neutral on moe.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
Quote:
and this is why Nana Mizuki and Yukari Tamura have never quite broken the barrier between singing seiyuu and actual pop star

Uh. I don't know, that's just not accurate or fair to say about either of them. Especially considering what catapulted Nana Mizuki's mainstream exposure is ETERNAL BLAZE...

I agree. Nana Mizuki has clearly broken the barrier if she's one of two anime vocalists to ever top Oricon weekly singles. If anything....Nana Mizuki is one of the few goddesses of anime vocalists (the others being Mami Kawada, Rie Tanaka and KOTOKO in my book). Not to mention that Eternal Blaze is what really boosted her reputation as well as Brave Phoenix. Music in general is also probably one of the stronger point in A's in addition to the story. I won't comment on dubs and subs because they're probably horrid anyways, especially the dub.

As for the rest of the review, keep in mind that this series was made in 2005 where many shows were sloppy (barring Gundam and Ghost in the Shell). We now live in the Blu-Ray era, or at least the beginning of it, and the middle of the HD era while 2005 was still essentially 400-480p era. With that said about video quality, most shows didn't have solid art or animation back then so if you guys are comparing sloppy animation, there's nothing much you could really do about that. Not to mention that this is by Seven Arcs....which means even lower quality animation art than anything else. Their budget has never been high as far as I can tell. Back in 2005....best series of the year, period.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:41 am Reply with quote
It's also a very niche show. The day a series like Nanoha or Dokuro-Chan gets the same budget as something like Bleach or Naruto will be the day hell freezes over (or ADV stops reprinting Evangelion - whichever comes first).
irishninja

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:44 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
As for the rest of the review, keep in mind that this series was made in 2005 where many shows were sloppy (barring Gundam and Ghost in the Shell). We now live in the Blu-Ray era, or at least the beginning of it, and the middle of the HD era while 2005 was still essentially 400-480p era.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here. There's a difference between a show having sloppy animation and a show having a low resolution. The HD/Blu-Ray wars were already heating up in 2005, and a lot of people had HD TVs at the time.

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
With that said about video quality, most shows didn't have solid art or animation back then so if you guys are comparing sloppy animation, there's nothing much you could really do about that.

Shows have been exhibiting solid art and animation for at least two decades. But if you're looking at 2005 by itself, I encourage you to look at the far superior visuals in shows as varied as Air, Shakugan no Shana, Hell Girl, My-Otome, Aria, Paradise Kiss, Emma, Basilisk, or Eureka Seven. (Wow, 2005 was a really good year! LOL)

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Back in 2005....best series of the year, period.

Better than all of the shows I listed above? Hrmm. I can certainly believe it is your favorite show from that year, as it is one of mine as well (although I've only seen a few from the above list), but from an objective standpoint it is far from the best.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't rank Nanoha as the top show of 2005, but its definitely in my book as one of the top shows. I personally enjoyed the whole techno-magic twist in nanoha.

Usually technology and magic are totally seperate or even conflicting forces but in Nanoha its blended togethor to create a unique fusion which added some nice personality to the series.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
I guess one of the points of re-using previously used elements and plot twists is kinda meh though. I mean what show out there DOESN'T re-use something that someone else already used?

The whole deal with the knights and how they fit into the plot was refreshing.

Unlike the first season which had a clear cut villian in fate's mother the knights were a refreshing change of pace spoiler[they weren't good nor evil, they were merely doing what they thought was necessary to save the life of someone they cared about greatly]

Fate's mother WASN'T a clear cut villian, though.

spoiler[She was just desperate to bring her "real" daughter back to life who she loved very much - it drove her to insanity and cruelty. I mean, she's a villian you can sympathize with to some extent.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

spoiler[She was just desperate to bring her "real" daughter back to life who she loved very much - it drove her to insanity and cruelty. I mean, she's a villian you can sympathize with to some extent.]

Nah. I had ZERO sympathy for the woman. I've seen other crazy mothers and have had sympathy for them. But not Fate's "mother."
Brians9824

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Nah. I had ZERO sympathy for the woman. I've seen other crazy mothers and have had sympathy for them. But not Fate's "mother."

Yeah i mean when she spoiler[was a real ##### to Fate]. Really hard to find some sympathy, felt it was pretty obvious she spoiler[never cared about Fate from day 1 and considered her nothing but a tool to accomplish her ends, aside from the fact she had a long history of breaking the law and using enthical means to accomplish her goals. The knights on the other hand didn't want to hurt anyone. Signum even warned Fate repeatedly and apolgized because she respected her and didn't want to have to hurt or kill her.]

Anyways on another point it will be intresting to see review of the upcoming movie if it gets licensed. It should have a higher budget then the TV series which would alleviate some of the concerns over animation quality. Although i'm the last one you should ask, i didn't notice any of the animation qualities pointed out in the reviews but I really have never focused on animation quality. [/spoiler]
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:52 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Yay for a good review of Nanoha! Smile I really enjoyed this series, from start to finish. Yes, it has flaws, as the reviewer pointed out, but the show is so much fun to watch that it really is easy to overlook them.

I still maintain that the intelligent magical weapons are the coolest things since the lightsaber.

Unfortunatelly calling the OP and ED dull wasn't.it's part of the reason season 1 and 2 had a major appeal in Japan,besides the mild loli felling and highly otaku appeal. Also sure the dialouge may not be perfect,but it's decent enough.and it's a lot better than Tokyo Mew Mew which had the same thing as Nanoha A's,but got completely destroyed by 4kids.Hopefully it'll chance when Strikers come out.

Wonder who'll do vivo??That's a question that'll be on everyone's minds when season 3 is licensed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3