News Netflix to Stream Knights of Sidonia Anime in Summer 2014
posted on 2013-12-12 12:10 EST
The media streaming and rental service Netflix announced on Thursday that it will stream the television anime adaptation of Tsutomu Nihei's Knights of Sidonia manga in all Netflix territories in summer 2014. The company noted that it will stream the complete 12-episode "firstly and exclusively" on Netflix, and it will include both the Japanese audio with English subtitles and in "dubbed local language dialogue."
The series will debut in Japan in spring 2014.
The show's Japanese-language cast is as follows:
- Ryota Ohsaka as Nagate Tanikaze
- Aya Suzaki as Shizuka Hoshijiro
- Aki Toyosaki as Izana Shinatose
- Takahiro Sakurai as Norio Kunato
- Hisako Kanemoto as Yuhata Midorikawa
- Eri Kitamura as Honoka Series
- Sayaka Ohara as Captain Kobayashi
- Tomohiro Tsuboi as Ichirō Seii
- Takehito Koyasu as Ochiai
- Satomi Arai as Lala Hiyama
- Atsuko Tanaka as Samari Ittan
- Nanako Mori as Eiko Yamano
- Takako Honda as Sasaki
- Kousuke Toriumi as Tsuruuchi
- Ayane Sakura as Mozuku Kunato
- Osamu Saka as Shinsuke Tanba
The manga's story takes place after humans flee Earth due to the devastating invasion of alien creatures called Gauna. Humans travel through space in giant ships while the Gauna continue to pursue them. As a new human culture develops, people fight the Gauna with Morito (Guardian) robotic mecha. A young man named Nagate Tanikaze trains as a Morito pilot aboard the spaceship Sidonia and defends its people from Gauna attacks.
Kobun Shizuno (G.I. Joe: Sigma 6, Detective Conan movie) is directing the anime with co-director Hiroyuki Seshita (Street Fighter x Tekken, Final Fantasy). Sadayuki Murai (Steamboy, Millennium Actress) is writing the scripts and serving as series script supervisor, and Yuki Moriyama (Street Fighter x Tekken, Dino Dominion) is adapting the characters for animation.
Nihei launched the manga in Kodansha's Monthly Afternoon magazine in 2009, and Kodansha published the 11th volume in Japan in October. Vertical is releasing the manga series in North America, and the company published the sixth volume this month.
Image © Tsutomu Nihei, Kodansha/KOS Production Committee
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history