Next PriPara Anime Features Male PriPara Idols
posted on by Anita Tai
The official website for the PriPara franchise announced on Saturday that the new PriPara series Idol Time Pripara will feature a male idol group: WITH. In the town of Paparajuku in the story, it will be common to see male idols.
The site also released a visual introducing the new idols and cast.
From left to right:
- Seiichirou Yamashita as Shōgo, a second-year middle school student at Avocado Academy. He's proud of his cool and cute looks that make him popular.
- Tatsuyuki Kobayashi as Asahi, a second-year middle school student at Avocado Academy. His extraordinary motor reflexes make dancing his strong point.
- Reiou Tsuchida as Koyoi, a second-year middle school student at Avocado Academy. His strong point is singing and he is the leader of WITH.
Previously announced cast includes:
- Arisa Date as Yui Yumekawa, a bright and cheerful sixth-grade student of Avocado Academy who is fond of dreaming and prone to flights of fancy, so much so that being late has become an everyday occurrence for her. She usually attaches the word "yume" at the end of every sentence. She likes to eat.
- Yō Taichi as Nino Nijiiro, an athletic sixth-grade student of Avocado Academy. She has a bright and very forward personality. She often slurs and abbreviates her greetings to people.
- Yuina Yamada as Michiri Kōta, a second-year middle school student of Avocado Academy. She is plain and does not stand out, but she has a strong ability to sense the supernatural. She often says "No way. No way, no way, no way, no way…."
- Previous PriPara protagonist Laala Manaka (Himika Akaneya) is also returning.
The show's mascot characters include:
The story focuses on Yui, a girl who lives in the town of Paparajuku, and who dreams of being an idol, even if she realizes that being an idol is next to impossible for her. Her friends often remark on how much she dreams about it. But then, the PriPara idol theme park opens in her town, and that an idol named Laala is coming to town from Parajuku, which only makes Yui dream even bigger. The new PriPara theme park has been updated with new concepts. However, due to a system error, Laala is no longer able to PriPara Change.
The series has the keyword of "yume kawa," short for "yume kawaii" (dreamy cute), a contemporary real-life fashion look that emphasizes colorful hair and dreamy looks. The protagonist Yui is described as a "yume kawa" girl. An additional keyword for the series will be "time," as the series introduces the new "Idol Time" system.
Makoto Moriwaki (Tantei Opera Milky Holmes, Onegai My Melody) is returning from the previous series to direct the new series at Tatsunoko and Dongwoo A&E. The new series will premiere in April.
The first anime series inspired by Syn Sophia's PriPara arcade game for girls premiered in July 2014. The franchise's first film, Gekijō-ban PriPara Mi~nna Atsumare! Prism Tours, premiered in March 2015, and the second TV anime season premiered in April 2015. The second anime film, Tobidasu PriPara ~Miina de Mezase! Idol Grand Prix (Spring Out PriPara ~Aim for the Top, Eeeeveryone! Idol Grand Prix), premiered in Japan in October 2015. The anime's third film, PriPara Mi~nna no Akogare Let's Go PriPari (PriPara Eeeeveryone's Longing Let's Go PriPari), premiered last March, and the third television anime season followed in April.
The anime franchise also received a fourth film, titled Gekijōban PriPara: Mi~nna de Kagayake! Kirarin☆Star Live, that premiered on March 4. Additionally, the franchise has inspired two musicals. The second musical ran for eight performances at the Zepp Blue Theatre Roppongi in Tokyo from January 26-29. The first musical ran last February.
Image © T-ARTS/syn Sophia/TV Tokyo/IPP Production Committee