Yoshitaka Amano's Gibiate Anime Series Reveals Cast, More Characters
posted on by Rafael Antonio Pineda
Yoshitaka Amano announced the cast members and new characters for his Gibiate anime series at New York Comic Con this past week. The cast includes, with the accompanying official character descriptions:
Yukiyo Fujii as Kathleen Funada: Dr. Yoshinaga's assistant. An optimistic half-blood girl, not good at fighting. But she manages to save Sensui and Kenroku as they have just arrived at the modern world.
Hiroki Touchi as Kenroku Sanada: A ninja who travelled from the early Edo period with Sensui. A blood relative to Sanada Family, the Sengoku-daimyo of Shinano Domain. He is cheerful and energetic, fighting against Gibias with his bombs.
Michio Hazama as Yukinojyo Onikura (not pictured)
Amano revealed new characters, shown below:
- Renjiro Hatonami (left in image above): The leader of Galients, the outlaw gang. He used to be the boss of mafia. Having broken the prison, he attacks Sensui and other people for food, with his weapon of Nagadosu (a type of Japanese sword).
- Guren Soshigaya (right): The number two of Galients, having followed Renjiro since he was a gangster. He fights Gibia by using his two pistols, unrivaled in speed and accuracy.
- Katsunori Hamuro (left in image above): The member of Galients, who used to be a fishman. He had happened to kill a friend in the fight, and been sent to prison then.
- Hidenori Sakuma (center): The member of Galients, who used to be a bomber. Because of Renjiro's manhood, he became Renjiro's little brother in jail.
- Mikimoto Isao (right): The member of Galients, who used to be a track and field athlete. He has sympathy with Renjiro and Soshigaya because of their manhood.
Gibiate Project, a global IP development group that includes Amano (Final Fantasy games), is developing the series. It announced the anime at Anime Expo in July earlier this year.
Gibiate Project describes the anime's "ultimate survival action" story:
The Year is 2030 Japan. A Virus outbreak has covered the earth. Once infected, patients become monsters and changes the form depending on age, sex and nationality. The virus is called “Gibier”(wild game for many varieties). A Edo era time traveling Samurai and Shinobi appear in the post apocalyptic ruins. Helping a doctor who has dedicated his career for researching the cure for “Gibier”, hordes of Gibier after them, outlaws who attack the travelers for food - everywhere you turn, danger is upon them!
Amano is credited as the original character designer of the upcoming anime, while Naoki Serizawa (Resident Evil manga, Saru Lock) is designing the monsters. Yuzo Koshiro (Ys, ActRaiser) is credited as "Sound Creator," and the Yoshida Brothers are the musical artists. Ryō Aoki (Girl Friend BETA, BONJOUR Sweet Love Patisserie, Endride) is credited with project planning and the original story, and actor Hiromi Sakimoto is credited as a performer.
Source: Press release
Update: ActRaiser's spelling corrected. Thanks, luisedgarf.
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history