• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Get Off My Lawn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoofbites

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:13 am Reply with quote
Dear Industry: As someone who enjoys the inclusion of special features on DVD and Blu-ray, I'm finding it awfully hard to get excited about the transition to digital distribution. Stop churning out vanilla releases and maybe I'll bite.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote
I love buying stuff online! Getting stuff in the mail absolutely makes my day! Especially when it's one of my huge orders from RightStuf Anime smile The deliveryman comes to my house so often (not just because of me) he must be so sick of it =P
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote
Heh, is...anyone seeing the flake of the week video replacing the ad banner up top, or is my computer slowly going insane on me?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:58 am Reply with quote
Kiyoko wrote:
Now I have to buy everything online, and that makes me annoyed because at least I could have saved a few bucks on shipping costs by buying at retail stores. Crying or Very sad

Shipping?
What's that?
Amazon & TRSI have free shipping at a certain level of purchase.

Quote:
It's instantaneous; I pay for something, I take it home with me. I don't have to wait until the charges get processed at the bank and then stupidly stare at a FedEx tracking number, and then remember that I forgot to leave a note that tells the delivery guy to leave the package at the door in case I'm not home. And then I'm not, and then I have to stalk the front door the next day, until the guy randomly shows up at 3 in the afternoon and I have to stop playing Street Fighter and put my pants on

Instantaneous?
I pre-ordered One Piece Season 3 Part 5 & Black Butler Season 1 Part 2 yesterday (free shipping). They will come in, TRSI will charge my card, & the dvds will appear on my doorstep maybe even prior to the street date (got Black Butler Set 1 the weekend before the street date. Got almost every volume of Gravitation a month early)
It's magic. I don't get in my car, walk thru the stupid store only to find they don't carry what I want necessitating driving somewhere else.

Quote:
Simply put, conformity gets a bad rap.

NEVER!
This SoCal girl child of the '60's grew up on square pegs not fitting into round holes!
Who gives a rat's rear what ANYONE else thinks of one's behavior so long as one isn't hurting anyone? Any given person's opinion plus $1 buys one coffee. Whoopie!

However, that also includes the need to respect the rights of others to do as they choose. My right to be me ends where your right to be you begins so I can dress however so long as it is legal or I can paint my car however I want so long as it's legal & it's not hurting you one little bit. My right to listen to something is affected by your right to not listen so I have to keep it reasonable, but you insisting it be inaudible is uncompromising & wrong-ie-I keep it well under 10 & you don't call the cops.

Conversely, one realizes if one wishes to look extreme (tattoos, piercings, neon blue hair, etc) will also affect one's ability to blend in with society & thus affect one's job prospects. Judges don't take too kindly to lawyers with mohawks.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
For those of you who hide your interest in anime the decision is yours to make.

However I have a suggestion:

Genshiken, manga preferred, or the anime. Get your hands on it, read it (either the manga or anime) and take it to heart.

Be shameless, enjoy what you enjoy.

And I think the obnoxious teens are a little cute. Why is it that teen have to be like sophisticated adults, especially when so many adults are not?
Yumeko-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:54 am Reply with quote
PM sent to RPGothic re: the Kare Kano figures Very Happy
citizenplain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I was a teenager during the 90's. I wonder if my generation of fandom had the same internet and the same access to anime as modern teens what we would have done. Honestly, I think we all would have been the same as the kids today. Kids are kids. I can't be too mad at them for it.

In a larger sense, I find it fascinating how much anime fandom has changed since the late 80s/early 90's. Anime clubs on college campuses, the scarcity of fansubs....it's all so different now. Maybe since I'm coming back to the fandom after many years the differences seem so stark to me, I don't know. I just remember that back in the day, you watched whatever you could get your hands on. Nowadays, it seems like anime fandom has, thanks to the growth of the internet, become a lot more factionalized. Again, I could be wrong but that's how it seems to me now looking back.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Anime in stores: Since the closest store to me, an FYE, that sells a decent selection of anime is 30 minutes away, almost all of my collection has been ordered online so the declining presence of anime in brick and mortar stores doesn't really bother me. Especially since the FYE near me hasn't had a declining anime presence. It's as big as it always was. The only problem is that they charge MSRP for it which is another reason I order online: it's cheaper. They do have some nice finds though. I got the first volume of Mushi-shi with the box and the first collector's edition of Trigun (which cost me $50) in the tin last time I was there. They also had most of the Samurai 7 LEs.

Anime in theaters: Since the closest anime comes to showing near me, aside from Ghibli, is NYC, a 6 hour drive, the movies not becoming enough of a hit to justify a bigger release has always disappointed me. I want to be able to see The Dream Machine on a big theater screen when it gets released.

For this week's Answerfans, the anime merchandise I've always wanted also doesn't exist: Megahouse figures of Chad, Uryu, and Kenpachi.

For next week's Answerfans: How is it that Paranoia Agent has not been rescue licensed?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:

Anime in theaters: Since the closest anime comes to showing near me, aside from Ghibli, is NYC, a 6 hour drive, the movies not becoming enough of a hit to justify a bigger release has always disappointed me.

Similar reasons many anime fans don't go to brick&mortar stores they don't go to theaters to see anime.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
This small town is too small to have a bookstore ~ heck, it shares its Wal*Mart with the next town to the east ~ but in the supermarket, the DVD section has anime.
Slee24

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:30 pm Reply with quote
TheRoyalFamily wrote:
What's the question?! I MUST KNOW!

Ahem...

I almost wrote in for last week. There is one figure I want more than anything. It's a fig of Aigis from Persona 3, posed jumping and shooting. Pretty much every Aigis fig I've seen has a pretty derp face, but not this one. I've never had any beef with ALTER figs, and this was glorious. And not only that, but like many ALTER figs it wasn't horrifically expensive.

It was set to come out before Christmas 2007. I was ready with money in hand. But then it got delayed to January. Then February. Then Early March. This got me really sweating, because I was leaving towards the end of March, to a situation where I wouldn't be able to get it. And sure enough, it got delayed again. By the time I was even in a situation to get her, it was two years later, and she was long since sold out, and is currently going for $600 or more on eBay.

Here's a review of it.

eBay rarely has figures for auction at a decent price, and if they do, there's a very good chance it's a bootleg. Hobby Link Japan has Aegis for about $175 . Hobby Search also has Aegis but for $165. . Personally, I haven't used Hobby Search, so I don't how much they'll charge for shipping.

Also, Ahren, a card is very easy to get. Paypal has paypal debit cards that they'll send you that just charge your paypal account. Assuming you're over the age of 18, then you should have (or can easily get) a checkings account, and they'll give you a debit card. I have ordered from many different places online and have not once had trouble using a debit card from my bank or my paypal card as a credit card, so that shouldn't be a problem either.
rojse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:02 am Reply with quote
I found the person who had problems talking about his love of anime to be interesting. I don't go out of my way to tell people about my love of anime, but I don't hide it, either. My friends and co-workers know I am of a nerdish inclination, and anime is just one of my interests in that vein.

As for defending my love of anime... I'm confident that the highest-quality anime can compare favourably to anything else that's available, particularly television anime in comparison to live-action television.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:04 am Reply with quote
Slee24 wrote:

eBay rarely has figures for auction at a decent price, and if they do, there's a very good chance it's a bootleg. Hobby Link Japan has Aegis for about $175 . Hobby Search also has Aegis but for $165. . Personally, I haven't used Hobby Search, so I don't how much they'll charge for shipping.

I use Hobby Search fairly often, or rather I used to until my financial situation changed to where I really can't buy figures anymore. But anyways, the shipping varies depending on the figure that you're ordering. For those larger Freeing 1/4 scale Lucky Star gym suit figures, I typically pay around around $45-$50 for shipping. For smaller stuff like Nendoroids, it's around $20. Also, I always use EMS shipping. If you use SAL, it would be cheaper, although since I've never used it, I'm not sure how much cheaper. Basically, shipping ain't cheap, and the dollar being weaker against the yen than it used to be back in the day doesn't help any.

If you want to take a chance and wait, you can probably find them a bit cheaper on Amazon, and if you have the gold membership, or whatever it is, and get free shipping, that certainly can help. I've seen those LS figures for about $10 cheaper on Amazon than what I paid for them after shipping. The problem with that is, you never know if you're going to find them for resale at a decent price. Now and again you get a figure that had a small production run and thus is impossible to find at a good price if you didn't preorder.
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I do kind of get embarrassed by the neckbeard kids that smell like boyscout subs shouting "epic win!" but I don't think that's something the average person associates with anime.
The only coworkers I discuss it with are fellow fans,obviously,anyone who overhears may make a joke about "nerds" or something,but really we're all adults and noone cares. It never has and probably won't ever negatively impact my life in any way. I've never seen a job application where it said to check off whether or not you like Naruto.

Not to mention,everyone watches SOME animated show these days. Is there really a workplace where people don't mention Family Guy Monday morning? What's the difference between watching that or watching Bleach?

For the guy who can't buy obscure anime in his town,that sucks,but I couldn't even find Arcade Fire's latest CD in my town,and does it get any more popular than Arcade Fire?
PMDR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Forgotten unlicensed gems? That list could go on for years.

Tenku Senki Shurato. This anime got good release everywhere in the world -except in North America. And it's a damn shame, because it actually has some unique elements going for it, particularly the Hindu take on the "guys in fighting armor" genre popularized by Samurai Troopers and St. Seiya. Shurato is also very easy on the eyes. It should have been a major hit here. It was never given the chance.

Laserion. It's one of Toei's robot animes from the 80s, but the story is actually decent and it looks good. The world got the show, but not NA. The toys were brought to NA as part of the Godaiken line. Not the best toys ever, in my opinion.

Tobikage. One of only two robot shows Studio Pierrot ever did (the first being Bismark), and once again most of the world except NA got to see it. It has big names behind the scenes and would have been interesting to watch.

Sonic Soldier Borgman. ADV brought over the OAVs, but left behind the TV series that actually was the foundation for the story. The TV animation was cheaply made and looks flat and there's too many school kids in it, and the toys were bad, but the show was a lot of fun. Makes NO sense to me that ADV would bring over the follow-ons but not the beginning. Again, a lot of the world got to see the TV series but not NA.

Dr. Slump. Every time I have encountered Slump, I have walked away wondering why the hell this wasn't brought over. Harmony Gold did a great dub for a pilot, so at least at some point they were thinking about it. But it went no farther. This is a stupid shame. Perhaps I will be flamed for saying it but IMO Slump was Akira Toriyama's best work. Not Dragonball. Not even close. Slump could easily have fit on Nickelodeon circa late 80s. Maybe not now. But then.

This list could go on and on and I'm not even out of the 80's yet.

It is heartening to see Right Stuf picking up things like the Dirty Pair TV series. Here's a show that didn't have a lot of budget but still managed to go nuts and have fun. I just hope this is the beginning of importers realizing that the back catalog stuff can be cheap, can be great, can entertain just as well as modern stuff, and if it doesn't sell, it's not like they had to invest a fortune to try.

That was the model back in the old UHF syndication TV days, and the model used most everywhere else in the world. Buy a show cheaply. Do a passable repackage and get it on the air. Fast. That's how we got the anime on TV boom of the 70s and 80s. The rest of the world never stopped getting those shows.

But look at the North American market now. It would be unthinkable for something like Voltron to even get made. Just making the show would cost infinitely more and in the end, there'd be no place to show the show. As a result, there's no place for middling low end anime. Everything has to sell sell sell a million copies OR get picked up for Cartoon Network with their fickle fingers. Heck they're happy showing the same Cowboy Bebop episodes they've rerun for most of the last 10 years. Cartoon Network has no interest in anything new.

Even the people who made Voltron aren't even trying to find the next big thing. They just want to remake the one hit they had. They know the magic is out of the bottle. There is no more genie.

This brings to mind an interesting problem:

So you've bought the rights to an anime. You want to dub it and get it on TV. Low cost. Where do you go? It won't be WTBS or WBFF or WATL. So where?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4