• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
BWBODDY wrote:
This is about Psycho-Pass Season 2 episode 11

I'm going to assume the my question is a Spoiler, so I'll put it in a spoiler wrap

Question....
spoiler[How can the old lady in charge of the Sibyl System be alive at the end of episode 11 when her head was clearly blown off minutes earlier ?]
I kind of think I know why but not for sure

The director of Sybil spoiler[is actually an artificial body that any of the brains that make up the Sybil System can utilize. In the case of episode 11, it was merely a new body being occupied by a different brain.]
BWBODDY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
BWBODDY wrote:
This is about Psycho-Pass Season 2 episode 11

I'm going to assume the my question is a Spoiler, so I'll put it in a spoiler wrap

Question....
spoiler[How can the old lady in charge of the Sibyl System be alive at the end of episode 11 when her head was clearly blown off minutes earlier ?]
I kind of think I know why but not for sure

The director of Sybil spoiler[is actually an artificial body that any of the brains that make up the Sybil System can utilize. In the case of episode 11, it was merely a new body being occupied by a different brain.]

Thanks for the verification Smile ... That's what I thought it was, but wasn't sure .

If it was spelled out during the Series I either missed it or forgot it.
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Hello, I just have a quick question regarding shout-outs in anime. When an anime makes a shout-out to material made by another author/developer/etc. Do they generally have to contact them to ask for the ok to use said shout-out?

An example would be Haiyore! Nyaruko-san, which I am in the middle of watching recently. I noticed a lot, and I mean a lot of references, both well-known and obscure. There is even a blog that notes all of the sources of these references
http://nyaruref.blogspot.ca/2012/04/haiyore-nyaruko-san-episode-1.html

Some of these references can be considered public domain since its known for a long time (like the Dora railway siege gun) but what about references that were created not to long ago, such as Kamen Rider, phrases and poses from various anime/manga/game/commercial, from both east to the west. I find it hard to believe a studio would have that kind of time and manpower to go around and secure the rights to use these references.

And what about lovecraft's mythos which this anime is based on. I did some checking and it says Arkham House currently holds the rights to lovecraft's work. Did the anime studio contact them too? or has the mythos also became public domain?
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure entirely on the legalities, but from everything I understand, there's a few different parts to it:

1) Japan doesn't have the same Fair Use rules as the US does, but, in general, homages/cameos/shout-outs are usually okay, as long as they're done in a positive manner.

2) They often work on a "act first, get permission later" mentality. You can especially see this in the times when there have been complaints (the arcade manga using games without permission, or the first episode of that Omatsu-san or whatever it's called).

3) Real-world works that take place in a certain time period use a variety of methods to specifically place their series. Higurashi, for example, uses the sound of cicadas to specifically place it in early/mid June. Sometimes those references are acknowledgements of other shows.

Erased, for example, specifically references the ending of Hikari Sentai Maskman, the beginning of Choujuu Sentai Liveman, and that Kamen Rider Black was also airing. This specifically places those episodes in the week between February 20 and February 27, 1998, since that was the week between Maskman's ending and Liveman's beginning. However, when it comes to the super hero that Satoru had idolized, had the mask for, and listened to the song for, it was an original hero, so that they couldn't get in trouble. It's one thing to acknowledge what was actually on the air at the time, another to use them in a significant manner.

4) Finally, you have to look at who is making the work and who owns it. Durarara!!, for example, constantly references other anime, manga, and light novels that are produced by Aniplex or published by Dengeki Bunko, because that's who produces/publishes it, so it becomes cross-promotion. In a later episode of Log Horizon season 1, you also see Maou and Yuusha from Maoyu, the author's previous work. This part basically comes down to same author/artist/publisher/production house/etc = fair game.
RickHunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
I found this being used as a meme on the internet,
as you can see it was played via animePlusTV,
any clues as to what anime it may be from are appreciated
Nimitz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
RickHunter wrote:

You're Under Arrest
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
@RickHunter

And the tall, darker haired character is a guy.

The girl with glasses is Yoriko and the guy is Aoi.

An early (likely fan) translation of the title was "You're Busted"
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Can someone tell me what the cat girl on the far right side of this picture is from?

hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:37 am Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
Can someone tell me what the cat girl on the far right side of this picture is from?
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20040326/taf38.jpg

She is from Grapple Gaia (2004), a fighting game for PC made by Gainax. The producer of the game was Akai Takami.
http://image.itmedia.co.jp/games/gsnews/0403/25/images/anime06.jpg

Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
Joe Carpenter wrote:
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20040326/taf38.jpg

She is from Grapple Gaia (2004), a fighting game for PC made by Gainax. The producer of the game was Akai Takami.
http://image.itmedia.co.jp/games/gsnews/0403/25/images/anime06.jpg

Thanks a lot!
RickHunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Nimitz wrote:
RickHunter wrote:

You're Under Arrest

Thank You two both so much, Season 2, episode 3
RickHunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@RickHunter

And the tall, darker haired character is a guy.

The girl with glasses is Yoriko and the guy is Aoi.

An early (likely fan) translation of the title was "You're Busted"

Again, Thank you both so much, it is from Season 2 Episode 3
Xirix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
According to the post after the gif on the page you linked, it's from Plastic Nee-san.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking for some place that would have start/end dates for shows that aired on TechTV (or G4/TechTV) in the US and am having a hard time of it. Specifically:

Banner of the Stars
Betterman
Boogiepop Phantom
Crest of the Stars
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure
Gatekeepers 21
Geneshaft
Serial Experiments Lain
Silent Möbius
SoulTaker

Can anyone help me out?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 522 of 569