• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tales of Xillia's English Trailer, More Character Promos Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurohei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I can say I'm hyped. As for the dub. I don't get it. It sounds great to me. Anyone who disagrees, please keep your comments to your self.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Nothing beats Symphonia's dub in my opinion. That game had one of the best voice casts I've ever come across, and it's a shame the mediocre non-canon sequel ruined things.

I actually liked the sequel more than the original, tbh.

As for voice acting, I felt that Symphonia's cast was flat to me, especially during the battle (Kratos' "Demon Fang" as an example sounded really bored)

IMO, Vesperia had the best dub of all the Tales games.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
I guess our own voices too are just as bad because we're not Japanese. Rolling Eyes

That's it! When I win the lottery, I'm having my life dubbed into Japanese. Very Happy Daisuke Sakaguchi must play at least one role a day!

On the issue of Xillia, I am very excited that we are getting an LE! I've already pre-ordered at GameStop, but I'll have to see who has the LE.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
I can say I'm hyped. As for the dub. I don't get it. It sounds great to me. Anyone who disagrees, please keep your comments to your self.
Yeah only postive comments allowed! Circle JERKS AHOY!

Anyway, just seems to be a typical meh dub from what I can tell. Now I prefer dubs usually, but while this doesn't sound like it will offend. It still sounds pretty meh. Juts like Graces was a pretty average dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
DRWii wrote:
The voice acting sounds pretty weak/disappointing so far. Milla in particular sounds flat.

its a JRPG dub... would you expect anything else but bad? I really wish that Namco would get with the times with the Tales series and offer dual audio.. I really don't want to play a Xillia without Miyuki Sawashiro as Millia. she's perfect for the role.
Most jrpg dubs of recent times have been great.

Unless you are a "all hail nippon" type of person, which I think you are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
I guess our own voices too are just as bad because we're not Japanese. Rolling Eyes

That's it! When I win the lottery, I'm having my life dubbed into Japanese. Very Happy Daisuke Sakaguchi must play at least one role a day!

Ooh, ooh! Can I have Rie Tanaka as mine then? Laughing

I really hope Gamestop gets these editions...I preordered 3 copies.... (one for me, and two for my two friends)
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
DRWii wrote:
The voice acting sounds pretty weak/disappointing so far. Milla in particular sounds flat.

its a JRPG dub... would you expect anything else but bad? I really wish that Namco would get with the times with the Tales series and offer dual audio.. I really don't want to play a Xillia without Miyuki Sawashiro as Millia. she's perfect for the role.
Most jrpg dubs of recent times have been great.

Unless you are a "all hail nippon" type of person, which I think you are.

All I want is an option. Its torture to know that some of my favorite seiyuu are voicing these characters, like Kana Hanazawa in Graces, and then I have to hear some voice that is crap compared to them.

Plus, of course no Rie Kugimiya in Tales of Symphonia 2... having her dubbed over was actually the reason I never bought that game, out of protest. She's my favorite seiyuu and I was so excited when I heard she would play Marta.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
For a series as big as these, they should have had dual audio. Funny how Valkyria Chronicles had it even though it had such an amazing English dub that many gamers thought it was better than the Japanese dub.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
For a series as big as these, they should have had dual audio. Funny how Valkyria Chronicles had it even though it had such an amazing English dub that many gamers thought it was better than the Japanese dub.

Its kinda silly how NISA, a tiny localization company, can afford dual audio, while Scamcos reasoning is "its too expensive". More like they don't care about their customers and know that the majority of people will buy it grudgingly anyway.
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Just like Tales of Graces f, if a company refuses to release the original Japanese audio, fans have to take things into their capable hands, if it follows similar system of ToG there will probably be Tales of Xillia UNDUB.

Dubs in general but particularly the unprofessional-low quality-unfitting US-English ones suck, pure torture, I can count the few exceptions with one hand.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Shippoyasha wrote:

Its kinda silly how NISA, a tiny localization company, can afford dual audio, while Scamcos reasoning is "its too expensive". More like they don't care about their customers and know that the majority of people will buy it grudgingly anyway.

It probably is though. You need to think of it like this, Tales games have ALOT of voiced content compared to other RPGs...and I mean A LOT. Of course other rpgs that have less than 5 hours of voice acting is going to be cheaper than one that has more than 20-30 hours of voice acting. Not to mention, they're bigger over there in Japan, so Japan probably wants more for their popular titles. It makes perfect sense, so I don't know why people say it makes no sense.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
EW!! THE DUB IS AWFUL!! IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE THE JAPANESE VERSION!! WAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Dub-haters, what a bunch of whiners!

Your gonna have a pack of haters following you everyday and night. I don't mind the dub but I'm disappointed with BandaiNamco as company.

There's always gonna be haters who whine over the stupidest things and make bullsh*t statements that subbed anime is factually better than dubs. Just stupid!

Last edited by TopGunman on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:

Dubs in general but particularly the unprofessional-low quality-unfitting US-English ones suck, pure torture, I can count the few exceptions with one hand.
Are you claiming that English dubs of say games like Persona or Tales are unprofessional?

If so then there's not enough lols in the world.

I'll admit the Tales of Graces dub wasn't good, but the Japanese voice track sucks just as much. The voice acting can't fix that the actors are saying stupid crap for bland characters.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mee Deggi The Punisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Jude and Milla just sound awful. Asbel was pretty meh in graces f also. Did they hire a new voice director or something because I have enjoyed the dubs of Synphonia to Vesperia.
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
dan9999 wrote:

Are you claiming that English dubs of say games like Persona or Tales are unprofessional?

If so then there's not enough lols in the world.

I'll admit the Tales of Graces dub wasn't good, but the Japanese voice track sucks just as much. The voice acting can't fix that the actors are saying stupid crap for bland characters.

Of persona games definitely, could not stand them, Verperia english dub was not bad but still not on par with Japanese one.

An example of what I considered amazing english dub is the one for Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga, the english dub was fantastic, it helped that it did not have teenagers as protagonist, english dubs suck the most when dubbing adolescents.

And no, the japanese audio was basically perfect and top quality as expected, this is basically the standards when it comes to original Japanese dub for games/anime at the least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5