• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daisuki Anime Streaming Site Launches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Sceleris wrote:
What kind of weird business logic can be behind some of these regional restrictions? For example, I can't watch Madoka Magica. I mean, it's not Aniplex of America, right? It's Aniplex proper, right? Surely they should have the right to let all regions not already covered by streaming licenses watch their cartoons on Daisuki.

If Aniplex have already granted exclusive rights to another company for a certain country, they cannot also grant them to Daisuki.

That seems highly likely to be the case for the Lupin III content that TMS has put on Daisuki.

Quote:
It may just take some time to negotiate or confirm things outside NA; Madoka wasn't available in the UK yesterday, but it is today.

And since its a launch, that could well have been a case of Aniplex just not setting the region access correctly.

But the speed at which regions can be added once the licensor confirms there is no conflict in that region would be an advantage of Daisuki over Crunchyroll or the various international Netflix sites.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Sacto0562 wrote:
I think it's still in its infancy, so give it time to "grow." After all, what was Crunchyroll like when it first became a "legit" streaming site in early 2009? The fact it has the biggest anime studios and the influential Asatsu-DK advertising agency supporting it means the potential for success is HUGE.

Grow? Sure, they can grow, but I'm not cutting them any slack on having a faulty website with quality issues. CR was a venture started by amateurs, this is supposed to be the big Japanese companies being present directly in the West.
Makeinu

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Grow? Sure, they can grow, but I'm not cutting them any slack on having a faulty website with quality issues. CR was a venture started by amateurs, this is supposed to be the big Japanese companies being present directly in the West.
Granted, the whole business is a bit underwhelming. If anything, history has taught us that Japanese corporations just do not understand how to deal with their Western customers directly. Keeping that in mind, I think it could be far worse.

Whatever. I remain cautiously optimistic that this won't turn into JManga Part Deux. (For now, anyway.)
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
arent there enough websites that stream anime already? its not a bad thing but I can easily name a dozen sites that do just this...... Im all for more anime but how much success are these site owners/ share holders hoping for? is it really that lucrative a venue for anime distribution?, at least for non physical media..... I just dont want to see them crash like distribution companies have been these last couple of years, adv, geneon, central park media, more recently bandai entertainment US.. makes me sad.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
arent there enough websites that stream anime already? its not a bad thing but I can easily name a dozen sites that do just this.

Name 12 legit sites that stream anime for Brazil, or the Netherlands, or the Democratic Republic of Congo.

There's a reason why some non-US anime fans have been close attention to Daisuki to see how it would work out.

Of course there are dozens of bootleg streaming sites, but having no streaming access other than sites that undermine the market for the work of the anime creators is not the ideal situation.
Sceleris

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
If Aniplex have already granted exclusive rights to another company for a certain country, they cannot also grant them to Daisuki. It may just take some time to negotiate or confirm things outside NA; Madoka wasn't available in the UK yesterday, but it is today.

Yes, of course they can't break contracts, but surely you'd expect them to have gotten the red tape out of the way before launch, seeing as how they're shareholders and all.

But yes, the Aniplex shows are available in my region too now, and since their statuses are different (Sword Art Online was already available for streaming from Crunchyroll, while I've never heard of Madoka being available for my region from anywhere in any language in any format), I too would chalk it up to being an honest mistake. (I default to assuming my region gets shafted. Hey, it saves a lot of heartbreak! Wink)

As yet, no Lupin tho'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I was able to register today and I put an entry in for the give-away and voted in the survey for what shows I want to see there. However, actually watching something does not seem possible. I tried to watch episode 1 of Sword Art Online and after waiting several minutes for something to happen got a message that the "protected" content could not be viewed at this time. I got the same thing when I tried to watch Lupin III, at least on the first attempt. On the second attempt I got an immediate message that the video is not available right now and I should try again later.

Also, I keep getting security warnings about how "this secured page" will be transmitting data to an unsecured page then mentions a website I have never heard of. Is anyone else getting this message? Does this mean someone is tracking what I watch? Obviously, the site itself will want to know what is being watched and how often, but is this something else?
agila61

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
I was able to register today and I put an entry in for the give-away and voted in the survey for what shows I want to see there. However, actually watching something does not seem possible. I tried to watch episode 1 of Sword Art Online and after waiting several minutes for something to happen got a message that the "protected" content could not be viewed at this time. I got the same thing when I tried to watch Lupin III, at least on the first attempt. On the second attempt I got an immediate message that the video is not available right now and I should try again later.

What kind of PC and browser are you using?
FD2Raptor

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

The Aniplex titles ~ Madoka and SAO ~ seem to be North America only.
The Lupin from TMS seems to be North America only.
The NAS title ~ Prince of Tennis ~ seems to be available more widely but with some European blocks ~ for instance, available in Brazil, but possibly not in Portugal.
The Sunrise titles ~ two Gundams ~ seem to be most widely available.

At the time of this post, both Aniplex's titles can be watched from where I am, so it definitely wasn't NA only.

Also, I keep getting security warnings about how "this secured page" will be transmitting data to an unsecured page then mentions a website I have never heard of. Is anyone else getting this message? Does this mean someone is tracking what I watch? Obviously, the site itself will want to know what is being watched and how often, but is this something else?

Earlier in the thread:
Primus wrote:

It's because of the video player they're using. Brightcove automatically filters the video quality according to your internet speed. The slower your connection, the worse the picture.

So I take it that it periodically pings the stream server to adjust video quality on-the-fly. When I checked out the SAO stream, at least the first 10 mins or so, the first 10-15 seconds was with horrendous video quality 240-360p low bit rate level, but it got better after a few "submit" messages. Since then, the video quality has been steady.

Here is the bandwidth usage for my DSL that top at ~630kb/s for ~8mins of Madoka Ep1

Other than the constant request to submit to that brightcove site; currently, the player is too resource hungry. It turned Opera 12.15 into consuming ~90-95% CPU when not in full screen (and ~80% when in full screen). As a reference, a 720p video should only consume 34-50% CPU on my system.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
FD2Raptor wrote:

Other than the constant request to submit to that brightcove site; currently, the player is too resource hungry. It turned Opera 12.15 into consuming ~90-95% CPU when not in full screen (and ~80% when in full screen). As a reference, a 720p video should only consume 34-50% CPU on my system.

For the same episode in Firefox, I appeared to be averaging about 65% CPU when not in full screen (CPU is a AMD Phenom II X3 740 [3.0 GHz]).

Watching the same segment at CR, 720p, not in full screen, I would say CPU utilization was averaging around 35-36%.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

What kind of PC and browser are you using?

I'm using a Windows PC (AMD Phenom 9150e quad core 1.80 Ghz, 4GB ram, Vista Home Premium) and Opera.

I was able to watch 2 episodes of Sword Art Online just now. Video quality was pretty good (I have my computer hooked up to my 54" plasma TV) but there were a few random occasions where it stopped playing for a few seconds.

EDIT: I just watched part of episode 1 of Puella Magi Madoka Magica and my CPU usage was staying between 58% and 68% whether I was in full screen or not. With that "submit" window incessantly popping up it would be impossible to watch anything other than full screen.

Watching the same episode of PMMM on ANN (from Hulu) CPU usage mostly stayed between 20-40%.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
FD2Raptor wrote:
agila61 wrote:

The Aniplex titles ~ Madoka and SAO ~ seem to be North America only.
The Lupin from TMS seems to be North America only.
The NAS title ~ Prince of Tennis ~ seems to be available more widely but with some European blocks ~ for instance, available in Brazil, but possibly not in Portugal.
The Sunrise titles ~ two Gundams ~ seem to be most widely available.

At the time of this post, both Aniplex's titles can be watched from where I am, so it definitely wasn't NA only.

Yes, and by the time of your post I had also already commented that it appeared that Aniplex had removed the region restrictions that were in place on the first day.
katscradle

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
katscradle wrote:
Well I decided to register and watched some Zeta Gundam. It's been years since I saw it. No problems at all, very good picture quality. It's very nice dub people aren't left out.

I would have much preferred in the sub for that one. The dub for Zeta is terrible.

I wish they did have options on language. But, as long as I don't start hearing the Japanese actor in my head as I'm watching I don't have a big problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5