• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Winter 2021

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sourpatchthekid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Unsurprisingly there's not a lot of mentions of Non Non Biyori Nonstop seeing as it's the 3rd season of a show that last aired 6 years ago. However it's probably my personal favorite of the season and a definite recommend to Slice of Life fans. Yuru Camp season 2 was also great and Horimiya is still enjoyable to me and i gave up on the manga after like volume 6 or 8. A flawed anime for sure but they are moments in the latest episodes that still impacted me.
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm so proud of Pui Pui Molcar. Guinea pigs are the literal best.

(Not to be all "I told you so", but...I told you so. Wink)
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:45 am Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:
Merxamers wrote:

I can't believe I haven't seen a single mention of this show, not even in the comments, so i'll fight for it here; Umamusume Season 2 was incredible, and even better than the first. Beyond the eccentric premise is a lot of heart, goofy humor, and a well done sports series that made me tear up several times. Even if we never get a season 3, i'll be very interested to see what that creative team does next.

I have to second this. I enjoyed the first season of Uma Musume, but this second season was significantly better. It took me by surprise too, since I was initially disappointed that Special Week wasn't the main character this time. I also did not think Teio would be interesting as a lead, but I was very wrong about that.

I third this. I enjoyed the first season as well and recently got the japanese BluRays, but the second season had increased the stackes quite significantly and blew me away. The episodes still had some light hearted humour, but they got so much more dramatic that I initially expected. My eyes were glued to the screen as I was cheering for Tokai Teiou, Mejiro McQueen and Rice Shower. In my opinion, Uma Musume Season 2 was one of the, if not the most underrated show outside of Japan of this winter season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Could you or someone give me an example of a sports anime that you feel is primarily focused on the sport over the characters?

Well, here are some sports anime which I watched at least part of the first episode of but decided not to proceed with, most likely because none of the characters intrigued me--and if the characters are dull (and there are no good jokes), what is there left but the game itself?

Ahiru no Sora This show was actually sort of amusing and did not do anything seriously wrong, except perhaps that the delinquents Kuromantani must mold into a credible team are pretty much ---holes.

Basquash! Why should I take Dan's side--isn't he largely a vandal?

Battery The main characters haven't convinced me to like them or care how well they do on the playing field.

Hachigatsu no Cinderella Nine I thought the spat between Tsubasa and her best friend in episode six didn't work all that well. It seemed contrived and manufactured, and more like a nuisance which I wanted to hurry up and be finished than a gripping crisis.

Hanebado! it is likewise hard to believe that this is a problem that could possibly be solved by the girl getting better and better at the sport herself. It seems to me that that would only make the problem worse. Basically, it is such a stretch that I had a hard time suspending disbelief.

Hinomaru Sumo It seems like the usual 'let's start from nothing and win a championship' theme, with the usual mysterious but highly capable manager appearing as a gift from heaven and whatnot.

Maybe what I should have said is that 2.43 is good because it's about the characters and does a good job of it.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:03 pm Reply with quote
The salt of Steve Jones made this worth reading

Good to see so many people enjoyed Wonder Egg, despite it technically not having a satisfying conclusion yet.
KariOhki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Best: Pui Pui Molcar
It's the simple, healing anime that I didn't know I needed, and the stop motion animation is just so great. I love the use of limited animation real people (or cats!) when they're in the cars but when outside they're dolls

Worst: Wonder Egg Priority
I didn't watch it, but the amount of hatred I saw places for its mishandling of certain things and characters made me sick of hearing about it, and the way people talk where they say if you like it then you're a horrible person or have horrible friends put it on my "never touch this" list. The ending not airing until June also means I'll be hearing about it for that much longer.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:01 am Reply with quote
KariOhki wrote:

Worst: Wonder Egg Priority
I didn't watch it, but the amount of hatred I saw places for its mishandling of certain things and characters made me sick of hearing about it, and the way people talk where they say if you like it then you're a horrible person or have horrible friends put it on my "never touch this" list. The ending not airing until June also means I'll be hearing about it for that much longer.

I can understand many kinds of criticism, but if some people honestly say stuff like "if you like it then you're a horrible person" about series like "Wonder Egg Priority" then the best course is take exact reverse recommendation about watching stuff or not than those people say. Or just move to better places for your anime discussion (like here for example) if you're sick of hearing about it.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:12 am Reply with quote
KariOhki wrote:
the way people talk where they say if you like [Wonder Egg] then you're a horrible person or have horrible friends put it on my "never touch this" list.

Since it is (apparently) very overtly about feminism, it's going to take a lot of flak from both sexists, and people who strive to be the most feminist humans on the planet (because it doesn't go far enough for them and/or because it doesn't communicate things in the precise manner they think is correct). Can be hard to tell the difference sometimes, because both groups will tell you the show is trash and its fans are monsters. Tl;dr controversial shows cause, uh, controversy, but that doesn't necessarily mean you should avoid them.

Anyway, I've still yet to watch any of these, though Wonder Egg was/is on my to-watch list. Looks like Laid-Back Camp 2 (and 1...) and So Aoi Yuuki Is A Spider would be worth a shot. And maybe that bizarre stop motion anime meme which, if it was a light novel, would definitely be titled "instead of cars, humans drive around in giant, sentient guinea pigs." Attack on Titan, though, was locked into my "worst" category a long time ago.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:44 am Reply with quote
As in boxing, I am elevating Non Non Biyori Nonstop to Super Champion status thereby making room for a regular title holder for best of Winter 21. If you haven't been following the adventures of Renchon and the gang and have been craving comfort food - this show is the definiton. If I had to define slice of life, this series would be it. It gave the all time champ K-On a run for the money but looks like it will have to settle for second greatest slice of life anime of all time.

Regular Champion of Winter 2021 is Wave!! I see a lot of people fawning over SK8, and it does the bare minimum of covering some of the basic points of skateboarding while providing an entertaining over the top story but really fell short of its potential regarding its subject matter. Instead of carving out a unique place as the singular skateboarding anime it chose the paint by number shounen story with all the inherent cliches. I wish it would of been more realistic and perhaps a loose retelling of the Z-boys or some exploits of the Bones Brigade. Oh well. Now Wave!!, that is the stuff. It is a realistic portrayal of the sport of surfing; dealing with real world protagonists who you might find in a suburb of San Diego or Huntington Beach. It is a wonderful coming of age story - I guess you could call it Big Wednesday for the junior high crowd. If the comments here are any representation, it looks like nobody watched it and that's a shame.

Runner-up would be Wonder Egg Priority. Boy was that recap episode a disaster - it would be like inserting a ten minute monologue midway through Eraserhead explaining everything you are seeing and what it all means. Wonder Egg worked so wonderfully by not explaining things but like a magician who can't refrain from telling how the trick works - it ruined itself. I really hate it when artists tell you what their work means. Wow, I am almost talking myself out of my Wonder Egg nomination.

Worst(s) are actually two of the same show: Cells at Work and Code Black its spinoff; the only shows I dropped out of 15 this season and I didn't drop them until halfway - but I couldn't take anymore - I mean it was just work to get through each episode. They were that dreadful - maybe if they had pooled all the resources into one good show, oh well.
Richard Joash Tan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:47 am Reply with quote
I have not gotten those worst animes, but I already have the best anime to watch like Redo of Healer because I watched the uncensored version due to some complaints of both the broadcast version and the almost uncensored streaming version (also known as the "redo" version). Looking forward to the other anime that I have not yet watched, but oh well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6