• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Spy Classroom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerdra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it really matters that we already know how the mission will go. In many stories, convention dictates that the protagonists' success is inevitable, and no threat to their lives can pierce their plot armor. Therefore, knowing future events doesn't undermine the current narrative any more than knowing the overall outline of typical stories.

Anyway, it was fun to see the team interact in various ways. These two episodes serve as the character development material that seemed to be missing from the first three.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:44 am Reply with quote
At this point I would recommend anyone who is interested in this series to just read the light novels. The anime has butchered this series with its baffling writing decisions.

The last 2 episodes were apparently adapted from the short stories. In the main LN series, after the first Impossible Mission, the story actually moves ahead with the next mission but for some weird reason the anime thinks it's more fun to show these flashback episodes instead.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:51 am Reply with quote
When the show did the Impossible Mission, the complaint was "We don't care about the mission, what about the characters?". Now that it's doing File Briefings... they're in the titles... people are complaining "We don't care about the characters, bring on another mission".

I think it'll end up being 7 files, 5 missions in total; Luckily for James Bond movies, he was never the one doing the background information.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:01 pm Reply with quote
They've paced this wrong. I liked the structure of the original "impossible mission" arc, because it was the only sensible way to adapt a story designed around text's ability to misdirect the reader. They were allowed then one episode of flashback.

There are quite a few light novels out, all of which have twists and misdirection but none of which are as text-reliant as the first. Moving onto the later novels after four episodes would have been the right choice.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
The last 2 episodes were apparently adapted from the short stories. In the main LN series, after the first Impossible Mission, the story actually moves ahead with the next mission but for some weird reason the anime thinks it's more fun to show these flashback episodes instead.

Ah, I had a feeling it must be from some short story collection. Reading the reviews I was thinking "I don't remember reading any of this" and assumed there's some short story collection that hasn't been translated to English yet.

Kind of glad I don't have HiDive so I can't watch this. As a fan of the books, this sounds like a really disappointing adaptation.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:45 am Reply with quote
OK James is going to start throwing plates around.

EP 7....

ANOTHER "Before the impossible mission" introduce a girl flashback episode

Is Spy Classroom really intent on such self imolation?

BUT...we get a stinger that seems to indicate they might be getting to the next mission...the "Snake" team....
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:56 pm Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:
OK James is going to start throwing plates around.

EP 7....

ANOTHER "Before the impossible mission" introduce a girl flashback episode

Is Spy Classroom really intent on such self imolation?

BUT...we get a stinger that seems to indicate they might be getting to the next mission...the "Snake" team....

If we finally moving on vol 2 that would be great, it doesn't change that we wasted half a reason on largely pointless "behind scene looks" of the first mission impossible. Episode 4 was only one worth any damn and not surprise last one with canon material in it.
Dnautics

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the author of these episode reviews realizes this is just a cute girl spy anime with mostly slice of life moments. I have absolutely no problems with the show but I guess some people think spy shows must be chocked full of action or something i'm not sure. I didn't like Spy Family at all, thought that show was mid as hell but I am enjoying Spy Classroom and Buddy Daddies. Thank you Spy Family for bringing the spy and assassin shows back.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Dnautics wrote:
I wonder if the author of these episode reviews realizes this is just a cute girl spy anime with mostly slice of life moments.

As someone who has read the light novels, I can tell you right now that the anime so far is a huge misrepresentation of what the series is about lol.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that they're trying to put plot in my cute girls doing cute spying anime.

Lily betraying everyone else yet again the moment food enters the picture is a funny running gag. The best part of the episode goes to Johnny, the strongest character in the show, asserting dominance over Klaus.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:40 am Reply with quote
They're absolutely driving this off a cliff. The first three light novels would have made for a neat, compact 1-cour series. Given the second and third spoiler[take place partially in parallel with each other rather than in sequence] and there's no real hope now of fitting both of them in, I think this show is just going to kind of slump to a half.
TiagoCosta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:03 am Reply with quote
Been my favorite of the season so far, really enjoying the character dynamics between them.

Really happy they they took their time adapting some stories from the SS1 volume as it only increased my linking for the characters, as we go into volume 2.

Considering it's planned as a 2 (split) cour, much rather see it being adapted the way it is, than it being rushed after all.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:21 am Reply with quote
James review felt a bit overly harsh this time around but its understandable with how much good will the last 3 episodes robbed of the show. All can say as a source reader is that Grete feelings for Klaus aren't throwaway nor just about him.

Rogueywon wrote:
They're absolutely driving this off a cliff. The first three light novels would have made for a neat, compact 1-cour series. Given the second and third spoiler[take place partially in parallel with each other rather than in sequence] and there's no real hope now of fitting both of them in, I think this show is just going to kind of slump to a half.

Eh vol 2 is an fine stopping point, but yeah the 3rd book would have been better.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Klaus tricking Lily and Sibylla into drinking their own poison was hilarious and the best part of the episode.
Dnautics

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good episode, although I have been enjoying the show since the beginning. I don't understand the author's view on this show, I don't think he gets it. It's kind of a cute girls doing cute things spy show. I don't know why he's expecting so much from this title. I enjoyed this much more than Spy Family.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3