• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo/GDH Contacts Crunchyroll Video Site

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archer113

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:

Sorry, but working with fansubbers or copyright terrorists is NOT the solution. The companies should NOT be rewarding such bad, callous, and destructive behavior.

Because Shisen Subs, and w.0.0.f subs just love flying planes into ADV's headquarters, and go on suicide bombings. [/sarcasm]

It's not terrorism, it's piracy... there is a HUGE difference. Or are you comparing the likes of Alqueda and Osama to people who have ever watched or made fansubs? Careful there you'll step on the toes of even some industry presidents as well as the "anti fansub" groups biggest face.. Mr. Greg Aryes... who said "I wanted to play _____ because I loved the series" (many times over) how did he know he loved the series before he tried out for the part? I guess he just went into the future and saw the series on an R1 DVD... (hypocrite)
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Archer113 wrote:
Quote:
Because Shisen Subs, and w.0.0.f subs just love flying planes into ADV's headquarters, and go on suicide bombings.

The original poster (xstylus) is clearly not comparing the severity of fundamental terrorism and copy-right infringement. They were comparing the act of an entity/business rewarding someone for previously hurting them unreservedly, and the greater message that sends. Disagree/agree with that specific sentiment, but let's tone down the cheap game of 'Let Me Cherry-Pick Your Analogy' and side-tracking the conversation.
krelyan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Archer113 wrote:
Mr. Greg Aryes... who said "I wanted to play _____ because I loved the series" (many times over) how did he know he loved the series before he tried out for the part? I guess he just went into the future and saw the series on an R1 DVD... (hypocrite)

Read the manga? Watched promotional clips? Read scripts? Who knows. Razz. But he's specifically stated he loved Beck yet never watched a frame of animation of it besides what was shown at promotional events.

As for the topic at hand, I would assume this is just a "testing ground" of Gonzo's and not something they're seriously considering pursuing. I would hope... It would be rather distressing to hear ADV got its streaming distribution rejected but there's interest in this.
Archer113

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:

Read the manga? Watched promotional clips? Read scripts? Who knows. Razz. But he's specifically stated he loved Beck yet never watched a frame of animation of it besides what was shown at promotional events.

As for the topic at hand, I would assume this is just a "testing ground" of Gonzo's and not something they're seriously considering pursuing. I would hope...

I don't buy it.. you can't "love" something just by watching a promotion... I mean you can want to see it, but to go so far as to wanting to act as a certain character in it... that's pushing it a bit.... but that's neither here nor there.

As per topic.
I figured if anyone would break into the "online streaming" (hopefully download soon) it would be either Bandai or Gonzo... glad to see that it is Gonzo and that it has been confirmed.. it's a step in the right direction.. let's hope the other companies continue to follow Gonzo's footprints.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Archer113 wrote:
Mr. Greg Aryes... who said "I wanted to play _____ because I loved the series" (many times over) how did he know he loved the series before he tried out for the part? I guess he just went into the future and saw the series on an R1 DVD... (hypocrite)

How indeed? It's truly an unsolvable mystery for the ages. If only he would explain this at every BECK panel at every convention that has one. Or, he could just get interviewed:
animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2007-12-02/greg-ayres-and-brina-palencia-pt.2

PA interview of Greg Ayres and Brina Palencia wrote:
So, my knowledge of Beck was only the music and the artwork that I had seen, and it wasn't until I had started reading the manga I was like, “Oh my God, this is an amazing story!” So when I met Kobayashi, he asked me who my favorite character was. Not having watched the fansubs, I said, “Well, I like the dog a lot.” So the joke was, when we saw each other later, I told him that I was pretty sure I was working for the company that had the rights to the show. The translator said, “Oh, you have to audition for the show.” And then he smiled and said something and then the translator said, “You can't play the dog.” So I think it's funny, but if I had seen the show, there would have been no way around wanting to play Koyuki. And as I started to read the manga, I would have buried people in my backyard to keep them from the part.

And re: the music, yes, the man owns imported copies of both soundtrack CDs.

Ah... this is way off topic. Let's see if I can reel it back in a tad...

It does seem logically inconsistent for Gonzo to publish a press release for The Tower of Druaga mentioning anti-piracy efforts against illegal file-sharing and downloading while simultaneously sending a pirate website promotional materials for it. But, on the other hand, if the primary goal is to give the series away to build a market for the online game (ahhhh... smells like... synergy!) then using crunchyroll.com's bandwidth and audience to accomplish that goal seems... practical (?). Certainly the game should represent a much larger investment and revenue stream than the associated cartoon would. *shrug*

I don't think I'd jump to the front of the industry line to distribute this show in any other way if they do that though.

I'm pretty committed to ignoring its existence myself, even without the crunchyroll connection. Is the The Tower of Druaga: the Aegis of Uruk as anticipated as their press release indicates? I never heard of it until yesterday, and based upon what I'm seeing so far I'm getting a strong vibe of it being nothing more than a 10 hour commercial for a game.
Archer113

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
Archer113 wrote:

How indeed? It's truly an unsolvable mystery for the ages. If only he would explain this at every BECK panel at every convention that has one. Or, he could just get interviewed:
animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2007-12-02/greg-ayres-and-brina-palencia-pt.2

And that explains every other time he has said this about an anime role he wanted to play? That just explains Beck... not the other what 20+ that he has been in... ( I was going low because I hate American dubs, and pay little attention to their actors)
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Archer113 wrote:
And that explains every other time he has said this about an anime role he wanted to play? That just explains Beck... not the other what 20+ that he has been in... ( I was going low because I hate American dubs, and pay little attention to their actors)

No, it just explains that you were wrong. I'm not going to waste time explaining how any actor (not just voice actors) might want a role before they get to see a show (or before it exists).

I'm not going to explain why water is wet either. You either grasp it or you don't. You don't.

Making claims about a subject that you admittedly don't pay attention to and expecting other people to debate your inane points is just ludicrous.
Archer113

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
Archer113 wrote:

No, it just explains that you were wrong. I'm not going to waste time explaining how any actor (not just voice actors) might want a role before they get to see a show (or before it exists).

I'm not going to explain why water is wet either. You either grasp it or you don't. You don't.

Making claims about a subject that you admittedly don't pay attention to and expecting other people to debate your inane points is just ludicrous.

Doesn't explain that I was wrong at all, I mean really I wanted more than one role, you only provided one role, I'm asking about the other times he has said that...

As per any actor wanting to play a role, um... I'm a Theater major in college and have done professional theater since my freshman year, I NEVER want a role until I have researched each character, and read the play at least twice all the way through, most actors don't "want a certain part" until they know what it's about, they may show up for auditions in the case of big time actors but usually they are sent a script. They may want to be in the movie/show but they usually don't have a specific part in mind unless they have seen it or know SOMETHING about it. Ask any one in an acting class, or anyone working theater and they will tell you the same.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Archer113 wrote:
( I was going low because I hate American dubs, and pay little attention to their actors)

Then you're just being biased and actually kind of an insulting jerk about it. This is totally tangential to the topic at hand anyway, so knock it off.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It does seem logically inconsistent for Gonzo to publish a press release for The Tower of Druaga mentioning anti-piracy efforts against illegal file-sharing and downloading while simultaneously sending a pirate website promotional materials for it. But, on the other hand, if the primary goal is to give the series away to build a market for the online game (ahhhh... smells like... synergy!) then using crunchyroll.com's bandwidth and audience to accomplish that goal seems... practical (?). Certainly the game should represent a much larger investment and revenue stream than the associated cartoon would. *shrug*

That angle struck me and I posted something similar earlier, re: glorified commercial GDH was looking to give away. However, the wording of the 'update' to the thread article seemed in spirit to indicate a little more was afoot.

Quote:
GDH has confirmed that it has been talking with Crunchyroll. GDH is planning a formal press release in the next two weeks or later regarding newer Gonzo titles.

Thats still awfully vague, so I don't think too specific a speculation is warranted/realistic until things are made a bit clearer. But I'll adhere to the general sentiments expressed earlier, (if true) it's a head-scratcher as to why GDH/Gonzo would pick this outlet to jump into digital distribution, would represent a mighty big affront to R1 companies who've pleaded to move this way, and possibly plummet the value of future physical (DVD) contracts for shows given prior digital release with another company.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote
This isn't really a unique thing. Like I've said already (not that anyone ever listens to me), Kadokawa has been in discussion with Youtube for some time:

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20080128/146366/
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20080310/148758/

In fact, according to some site called Anime News Network, both Kadokawa and GDH are already hosting videos on Youtube themselves:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-02-29/youtube-hosts-gonzo-show-kadokawa-episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
darcerin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I want to lay out some points and then ask some questions:

Funimation stated *first*: They have been monitoring Crunchyroll for two years.

Funimation works VERY closely with Gonzo. They have an ALLIANCE with Gonzo, to the point where Funi sent out C & D letters for Romeo and Juliet, a series Funi hadn't even LICENSED (yet?) or even hinted at owning rights-to-distribute here. One would assume they did that because they wanted to maintain their alliance with Gonzo, because Gonzo makes quality anime, that Funi would like to have all the rights for.

So here are my questions:

Has Gonzo terminated their alliance with Funimation? If so, WHY?

If Gonzo has terminated their alliance with Funimation, then why has Funimation not said anything?

If Gonzo hasn't terminated their alliance, why on EARTH would their answer vary so radically from their overseas partner, an answer that could well jeopardize their relationship?

From my perspective, it looks like Gonzo is pulling the rug out from under Funi - and going to what I would view as a less stable (Crunchyroll could be brought down next week for all we know) format of spreading their works out.

Something just isn't adding up for me here on the Gonzo factor. It just doesn't make sense that they'd be suddenly teaming up with CR right after CR gets capital money. Unless that's how they got the capital at all, with a big company name backing them...?
Zerreth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
This isn't really a unique thing. Like I've said already (not that anyone ever listens to me), Kadokawa has been in discussion with Youtube for some time:

In fact, according to some site called Anime News Network, both Kadokawa and GDH are already hosting videos on Youtube themselves:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-02-29/youtube-hosts-gonzo-show-kadokawa-episodes

This being different really isn't the issue. The issue is that this is Gonzo reaching out to Crunchyroll.

Despite my distaste for Youtube, I have to say that there's a significant difference in Youtube and Crunchyroll, the latter having more problems with copyright infringements and the former, making some form of effort to contain it. Then there's the entire issue of having subscribers on CR.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Quote:

From the ANN article the material on Youtube seems pretty 'promotional' in make-up, while the speculation (which is just that) for GDH-Crunchyroll is more of a 'Host the subtitled series' affair.

That techon link you have is priceless though, anybody interested in the classic Japanese business 'Here's an unbelievable overwrought testimonial that basically amounts to screw everybody but me' way of moving should give it a read.

The Japanese anime industry have famously dragged their feet on digital distribution, but Tadashi Fukuda is here to tell you he's really been on top of this the whole time, doesn't have a thing to do with Google's massive financial pool, no sir. What's great about the article is in classic Japanese business fashion, whatever your opinion is Fukuda agrees with it for a paragraph, until he completely contradicts himself in the next one. He's all for free download content, fans are everything! Except the most important thing is the wishes of the copy-right holder! We will make it easy for fan-made content! As long as it passes rigorous protection software measures of course!

The article also ends with this:

Quote:
However, in this case, the Japanese economy will slow down, because marketing is conducted overseas. In respect to taking advantage of content, we have to rise up together to form "Japan Inc" and challenge the world.

Our chairman frequently says "The current situation is the same as that during the period of Meiji Restoration." I was really happy that he said as one of the leaders of Japan, not as Chairman of the Kadokawa Group, "This is the time when we have to make a move at any cost."

Japan, where pleasing the consumer and creepy nationalism come together!
subaru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I think if production companies use this Crunchyroll thing like YouTube. Release their animes with subtitles straight after their japanese release............ just like what the fansubbers are doing now. That might actually work.

First of all, the YouTube video quality is never as good as the DVD, so people who like the show will still get the dvd when they come out with dub. And they don't have to worry about reverse import.

They can also add commercial into their clips......... just like what they do on japanese tv. The more I think of it, the more I think this will solve the current problem in the anime industry.

Honestly, without a platform for people to watch the show for free or a small fee b4 they buy the dvds.......... like the audience in japan, no matter what they do, they can never save the dvd sales. Expecting people to buy the dvds of titles that they have never seen and maybe never heard of.............. thats the most stupid assumption ever. Just imagine, how many people will go get the dvd box of Lost or Heroes, if they weren't show on TV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8