• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Vice President Discusses Original Comic Plans

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
There was a Pokemon comic strip? MUST FIND.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:

I've still got a few issues of the Pokemon Manga.It was much better than the sappy anime.The monsters actually fought.They were localized by Viz.Got them back in 1999 I believe,single issues.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
slickwataris wrote:

I've still got a few issues of the Pokemon Manga.It was much better than the sappy anime.The monsters actually fought.They were localized by Viz.Got them back in 1999 I believe,single issues.

I do too. But the article was talking about a newspaper strip written by American blokes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ClichedUsername

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:

Viz released a compilation of the comic strips years ago. It's out of print, but you can still find some copies for sale.

http://www.amazon.com/Pikachu-Meets-Press-Newspaper-Collection/dp/1569315760/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209503835&sr=8-1
Chrono Jr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
So what exactally does this mean? Is viz going to create a new mag for aspiring American manga creators?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ztarr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like really good news. I've always had a lot of confidence in Viz and their dedication to high qualibur manga. It sounds like they are interested in completed work (self-published or webcomics, possibly?) rather than proposals or manuscripts.

I've sold over 500 copies of my indy manga graphic novel, which is no small task when you're in the self-publishing game. I recently recieved a grant from the Ontario Arts Council to produce volume 2 of my series and would really like to work with a publisher for the remainder of the series. Working with Viz would be a dream (who wouldn't want to!), but I'm not sure my work is 'Viz quality' manga. Anime cry

It will be nice, though, to see what creations come out of this new plan--sounds fantastic.
Fusionoid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:14 am Reply with quote
^ I like the artwork for the character designs. Nice job Ztarr!!! Smile
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow! This is very good news for me as well, because as a potential manga storywriter myself I think the chances of my story ideas getting published have just shot up quite a bit. Now if I could just get some art for the darn stuff......
Chrono Jr

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quote
Ztarr wrote:
This sounds like really good news. I've always had a lot of confidence in Viz and their dedication to high qualibur manga. It sounds like they are interested in completed work (self-published or webcomics, possibly?) rather than proposals or manuscripts.

THIS IS AWESOME!!! It is my dream to become a manga creator, and I also wanted to work with viz from the start! I thought that it would be impossible since they didn't seem to use creations from American Manga-ka's. I can't wait for more news on this project! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chrono Jr

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quote
Ztarr wrote:

THIS IS AWESOME!!! It is my dream to become a manga creator, and I also wanted to work with viz from the start! I thought that it would be impossible since they didn't seem to use creations from American Manga-ka's. I can't wait for more news on this project! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1