• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dattebayo to Stop Fansubbing Naruto on January 15

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
omegaviper wrote:
this is absolute crap they better not stop subbing naruto they are the best out there the only thing better is a dvd dub release which takes forever unless this new crap site release in at least the same video and subbing quality there is going to be a problem Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Exclamation

Was wondering how long it'd take for a response like this. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Gin Ryo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
dattebayo.. i hope they will sub naruto.. i like their works.. oh well.. i'll just go to crunchyroll.. Sad
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I have to give them credit. There attitude is quite mature, and it's nice that they're being proactive about it. Plus, I like that they are willing to show support for this arrangement. Hopefully, it will help get their viewers to support it too because it'd be nice if these efforts worked.
Ruremi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, after all this time, the show has been picked up to be released online legally and it still ends up being one week after? These are the people who made the show that're involved; still think that's kind of long to wait after being established and quickly released by fans before it even became licensed, for years.

Why not 2 or 3 hours after original broadcast instead.
the_seventh_l

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
omegaviper wrote:
this is absolute crap they better not stop subbing naruto they are the best out there the only thing better is a dvd dub release which takes forever unless this new crap site release in at least the same video and subbing quality there is going to be a problem Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Exclamation

lol what

Waiting one week for a new episode of Naruto isn't going to kill you. Also, if you really care about quality, wait for the dubs on TV or import the Japanese DVDs.

Also, full stops and the shift key = your friends.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but I do not belive this. Dattebayo has said it would stop many times, and this might just be another troll. They might have waited for a situation like this to pull off a great troll like this for some time.
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Ruremi wrote:
Whoa, after all this time, the show has been picked up to be released online legally and it still ends up being one week after? These are the people who made the show that're involved; still think that's kind of long to wait after being established and quickly released by fans before it even became licensed, for years.

Now, I'm not sure where you live... but where I live, Japan is about 12 hours ahead of me... I don't know when Naruto airs, but lets assume it's at 5 PM... that means 5 AM for me... even 2-3 hours after release, that's still really freaking early in the morning... a week difference isn't that much, really. You'd still get an episode every week, it would just be one behind... so the discussions would still happen, they just wouldn't be about the "current" episode. Eventually you'd stop noticing the difference.

But anyways, I find it hard to believe anything Dattebayo says until it actually HAPPENS... if its true, then I think it's a step in the right direction.

While I do watch fansubs and cannot afford to buy anime (though I avidly purchase manga and other fan things)... I would much prefer to do it legally. I can afford a minimal fee to watch something (preferably a monthly fee...), but 30-60 in one shot for a few episodes is above my budget... so when Crunchyroll starts airing legal streams, I'll be in line to check it out.

Here's hoping the Shugo Chara! Doki! streams are good...
Ruremi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I understand where you're coming from. For me though, it's a four hour difference, even then, though, you'd still have it available after you've waken up (came from work, or school) to watch.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
There's no real reason to fansub Naruto, since Viz keeps up with it pretty regularly anyway.
chibisama

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Dattebayo always makes me laugh at how they misspell things at times. They kept screwing up names that end in 't' like Bounto off of bleach when it should be Bount and Maito off of Naruto when it should be Might.
Leg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Ruremi wrote:

There are two options.

1) Subs 1 hour after broadcast for a "small fee".
or
2) Subs within 1 week for free.

So, they pretty much cover the only two options of release time/payment. If you can't pay the fee, tough luck. A one week wait for free, legal subs is pretty amazing, especially considering some shows never get licensed or take years to become legally available.
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Ruremi wrote:

It'll be released subbed 1 hr after it air in Japan for subscriber. 1 week later for the rest. Think that's more than fair to those who wants it for free.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
You're also supposed to be able to pay a fee and watch it the day after or something, so there's really nothing to complain about.

This is such good news, an instance of the distributors actually accommodating changes that people have been asking for for years. I don't know if people realize entirely how great this is. The quality is allegedly going to be an improvement over the fansubs, you get it for free, AND you actually support the show through a sanctioned venue. It's as close to perfect as you could ask for!

And that's only short term. Naruto is only the beginning, once the risk factor diminishes they'll probably do this with a lot of shows, and since the internet is going to have to face a jump in bandwidth sooner or later maybe one day we'll get HD streams or downloads and hifi audio. Confetti! Piniatas! Par-tay.
Ruremi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Oops. I don't know how that slipped my mind, I remember just a few days ago reading about this at this very site, my mistake. ._.;;;
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
My sum total consumption of Dattebayo's output was the 'troll' releases of various compilations of Rube Goldberg machines used as eyecatches for Pythagoras Switch. I'm hoping for more of that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13