News Transformers Movie Overload
posted on 2006-08-23 20:57 EDT
The webcast was screened on Friday, it can be described as being the first major source of information over the weekend and can be viewed here. The webcast goes for over 30 minutes and screens after the trailer, but you can get the abbreviated version and reaction over at the Movie Blog or the transcript is available over at Seibertron.
The most important news was revealed first, the Autobots and Decepticons that will be appearing is as follows;
- Optimus Prime: The valiant leader, described as noble and shakespearian, has idealistic view of humanity. Vehicle mode is a semi-truck with red flames over a blue cab, very hard to miss.
- Bumblebee: The underdog / scout first transformer on Earth and most like Spike, most "connected" to humans. Starts off as a old Chevrolet Camaro and is later reformatted to a 2009 Camaro.
- Jazz: Stylish guy, takes pieces of foreign cultures he likes the best and adapts to them. Described as rock'n'roll, loyal, eager and contemporary. Vehicle mode is currently unknown.
- Ratchet: Medic / science officer, described as the Smartest Autobot. Ratchet is no longer a ambulance but a Humvee based emergency vehicle instead.
- Ironhide: Autobot Muscle/Warrior, Described as the classic cowboy and Optimus Primes oldest friend. Vehicle mode is a black GMC Topkick pickup truck.
- Megatron: His evil will be more in depth, a firm believer in survival of the fittest he believes it is his right as a superior being to rule He has a less idealistic view of humanity. Sees himself as advanced, sees humans as lower.. Vehicle mode unknown.
- Starscream: Backstabber, still questions what would happen if he were to lead, said to be engaged in a secret plot to dethrone Megatron but waiting for the right opportunity. He is said to explain why he is not pushing his plotting and is instead waiting for his opportunity, transforms into a F-22 Raptor.
- Frenzy: Originally going to be Soundwave, but changed to become a smaller stealth spy. Alt mode unknown.
- Blackout: Takes out Earth Defense Systems with an EMP. Also in charge of transporting Decepticons, has a large alt. mode, the MH-53 Pave Low.
- Scorponok: References were made to Beast Wars Dinobot, his alt mode will appear totally logical once you see the movie.
New Decepticon Characters
- Brawl: Mad all the time and always looking for a fight and is eager for battle. Like Ironhide first non flying Decepticon, transforms into a tank.
- Bonecrusher: Closest thing to a Constructicon, hates all other Decepticons other than Megatron, respects fascism only. Vehicle mode is a "Buffalo" mine clearing vehicle.
- Barricade: The Decepticon Hunter / Tracker. Described as the camouflaged hunter, Vehicle mode is a modified Mustang police car with "to punish and enslave" written on the side.
Earlier in the week some pictures were uncovered (and confirmed by Paramount) of Optimus Prime's head, Prime's arm and Barricade's shoulder. The online reaction was skepticism until this weekend, where a whole pile of pictures managed to find their way online.
The pictures were originally released on TFW2005 but there is a easily accessible mirror of the pictures available here on the TFArchive. The pictures also confirm that this concept picture of Starscream that was leaked in early May is correct, with some fans now calling him“Monkeyscream”. The best picture is a Hi Res image of Blackout available over on Toy News International where you can see the design style in detail, and you can then take a look at the toy prototype for Blackout here.
The fan reaction to this news was rather severe, but claims that the photos were fake were quickly silenced by Michael Bay on his blog, and online discussion soon turned to complaints about why didn't they look like the classic transformers everyone knows. The severe negative reaction made Don Murphy write a post on his forum in retalitation explaining some of the "truth" behind turning transformers into a blockbuster movie, imploring fans to reserve judgment until the proper movie trailer is released later this year.
There has also been some more pictures released online in a slide show, however after being linked by Aint It Cool News the slide show disappeared, but some of the pictures still remain. We have a group shot of Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Ratchet and Ironhide that confirms that the vehicles seen in this video are indeed from the movie (and the picture provides a closer look at Ratchet). There is also a closeup picture of Optimus Prime in truck mode, a picture of a unidentified transformer frozen in ice (it is however rumored to be a Decepticon, possibly Megatron) and finally a picture of the fully constructed Bumblebee (with human for size reference).
And there you have it, a complete rundown of the news surrounding the transformers movie last weekend (or as complete as I could compile; if I've made a mistake, please use the feedback link at the bottom of this page). The sheer volume of information that has been released and leaked is incredible and we will definitely be seeing more over the coming weeks. In my personal opinion I believe that they are heading in a interesting direction with the movie, the desire to stick to realism and to create a sense of awe and fear, what looks like logical designs for a completely alien humanoid race of robots, that when animated will probably look like a massive amount of writhing muscles between panels. In fact, here is a good arguement of why making the transformers look close to humans would not make much sense. I will however remain skeptical, we have not seen proof that the movie will be awesome or completely boring, but I will be watching to bring the latest Transformers news here.