• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Hero/Heroine Tournament: Finished!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono

Group A-2
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin

Group A-3
Jil, The Tower of Druaga

Group A-4
Kenshin Himura, Ruroni Kenshin franchise

Group A-5
Toboe, Wolf’s Rain

Group A-6
Dr. Kenzou Tenma, Monster

Group A-7
Clare, Claymore

Group A-8
Siegfried Kircheis, Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Group A-9
Goku, Dragonball franchise

Group A-10
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread

Group A-11
Hikaru Shidou, Magic Knight Rayearth

Group A-12
Karasu, Noein – to your other self

Group A-13
Shu Maritani, Now and Then, Here and There

I'll comment on this one because damn. But I honestly believe that the selflessness that Shu showed throughout this series is beyond comparison to any other character in this series, especially considering the spoiler[outright abuse he continually received (including being shot), the unfairness of his situation (they had no reason to take him in the first place - he only ended up there because he was trying to save Lalaru, a girl who he didn't even know!) and his unwavering ability to stick to his principles and beliefs despite the absolute horror he faced every day, and the things his young eyes had bore witness too (things that no one his age should ever have to be exposed to).]

I'm a big Renton fan but you can't even compare the two, in my opinion.

Group A-14
Sakura Kinomoto, Cardcaptor Sakura

Group A-15
Minamoto no Hikaru, Otogi Zoshi

Group A-16
Usagi Tsukino (aka Sailor Moon), Sailor Moon
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Match A-1: Hakuoro
Voting based on guide and reputation.

Match A-2: Kazuki Muto
Not the most impressive match. But Kazuki has the slight edge due to spoiler[putting his humanity at risk] to protect those he cares for.

Match A-3: Jil
Pacifica seems too whiny to be a heroine from what I've heard about her.

Match A-4: Kenshin Himura
It's too early for Kenshin to be eliminated in this tourney.

Match A-5: Toboe
spoiler[His sacrifice at the end of the series] is still fresh in my mind.

Match A-6: Dr. Tenma
Quite the good-hearted doctor from what I've seen of Monster so far.

Match A-7: Mai Tokiha
Looks after her brother and Mikoto, protects the school, and is spoiler[one of the few Hime to not completely snap from the insanity that takes place in the show's second half.]

Match A-8: Robin Sena
Siegfried struck me more as a supporter. Robin's fighting for the safety of witches.

Match A-9: Goku
Another hero who doesn't deserve to lose so early, even if I'm not a Dragon Ball fan.

Match A-10: Keisei Tagami
Another weak match. I give Keisei the slight edge since he seems to care for both humans and spirits.

Match A-11: Hikaru Shidou
Hearing about her character has me tempted to want to watch RayEarth at some point. I'm a sap for the innocent child heroines.

Match A-12: Karasu
The one-man guardian of Haruka throughout Noein.

Match A-13: Shu Maritani
I nominated him. But beyond that, he was an optimistic boy who maintained a positive outlook throughout all the hell he endured with Hellywood.

Match A-14: Sakura Kinomoto
Again, I'm being a sap for pure-hearted heroines. That, and Yuji spoiler[winds up going insane later in Blue Gender which led Marlene to have to snap him out of it.]

Match A-15: Minamoto no Hikaru
I can't take Gourry seriously as a hero.

Match A-16: Usagi Tsukino
Starts off being bratty, but becomes quite the heroine as she deals with being Sailor Moon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
farichada wrote:
Group A-3
Jil, Tower of Duraga

Neither choice is strong. I will will choose her for now, but that may change after I read more opinions on the two.

Jil is a boy.

Quote:
Group A-10
Hibiki, Vandread

Vandread is marginally better; his opponent appears to be just doing his or her job. Both appear very weak from both the guide and the comments.

I disagree with the sentiment that Keisei is "just dong his job", as most people don't intentionally choose a job that involves fighting supernatural monsters. Besides, it's such a blanket statement that it could be applied to almost any shonen hero or magical girl.

And now, to avoid being a hypocrite, I must not allow myself to use the "just doing his/her job" reasoning as the basis for any of my choices. Sad

Also, sad that both my guides fail to make either candidate impressive to you. Sad

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Mushi-Man, something happened with your post and you're missing votes for 3 match ups.

Got it fixed, thanks for the heads up.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Sophisticat wrote:

Besides, I'm lazy, and nothing stops anyone from posting their own thoughts. So, chill.

Dude, I am chill. Just because I agree with Mylene that people should be putting actual reasons hardly means I'm worked up. No, it's quite obviously not a requirement but as I've said, and other people in previous tournaments as well, simply saying guide does not show in any way what part of the guide caused you to vote the way you did. It's often helpful for other posters who are wishy washy on who to vote for to see actual reasoning from other people as to why they voted for their characters. Simply saying guide doesn't really say that. At least by mentioning you decided by coin flip a poster will know not to ponder your reasoning. There's none behind it beyond pure chance. You don't have to give any real reasoning at any point, it's simply helpful to others if you do. And in my opinion even more so early on because of how many characters there are. I mean one change in who wins an early match could very well influence winners in the next 2-3 rounds. Use whatever reasoning you want, I'm simply saying it's helpful to others who may not know the character or are torn between them to see more detailed reasoning.

And Dtm, who says you have to "rip people a new one" because of their views anyways? You could just let people post whatever reason they want, silly or not, and not rip them at all. You do have that option. Wink
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Some people have said that the match between Keisei Tagami and Hibiki Tokai is a weak match. I don't fully agree.

I've seen Shikabane Hime, and I can tell you that Keisei is definitely a decent choice. No, he's not likely to win the tournament, but he's definitely a deserving candidate. Believe me, he's not just "doing his job", which happens to involve saving people. There are other contracted monks in Shikabane Hime who show what it is like to "just do your job." Keisei is not one of them.

He truly cares for people, and desires to protect them. And he does. The fact that it is also his "job" means little when he is the type of guy who would do it even if it wasn't his job. This is shown by the way he cares for people he is under no obligation to help. For example, he runs an orphenage, is beloved by all the children, took in the main character as a child and raised him like a younger brother. He routinely makes a great effort to protect those around him.

Yet... I voted for Hibiki. And I haven't even seen Vandread. Why? Well, the nomination round convinced me of Hibiki's qualifications. Consider his original nomination post:

the Rancorous wrote:
Hibiki Tokai - Vandread
We're talking about inspiration? Well this guy's legacy is of an epic level!
He starts off as a scrappy show off, but soon becomes one of the main fighter pilots of the Pirate crew. Not only that, but everytime the rest of the crew is discouraged and losing hope, Hibiki is the one to step up and rally everyone together to keep fighting. This is seen in his influence on the three main pilot chicks, and as well as his actions and words in episode 13. But the major clencher is in the final episodes of The Second Stage. Not only is he still the main ray of light to the crew, but he delivers a speech that spoiler[rallies together a force large enough to fight off the Earth Fleet and plays a major role in getting 2 planets who were once mortal enemies to work towards peace.] In fact, that particular speech is one of my personal favorite scenes in anime. Hibiki Tokai is a heroic figure that literally spanned the galaxy and rallied together many different types of people for a common goal, more than deserving to be here.

But maybe the Rancorous overstated things a bit, so what did other people think?

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Hibiki Tokai (Vandread) - Starting off as a whiny nobody in search of his own identity, Hibiki grows into a hero and a leader who repeatedly shows his friends and allies the importance and true meaning of being a man.

So he starts off a bit weak, but drastically improves over the course of the series. Maybe that can be held against him some, but it sounds like he becomes quite the hero. Incidentally, Dorcus pretty much had the same thing to say about Simon from Gurren Lagann as he did about Hibiki. He later says the following:

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Also, I'd like to encourage the people voting for Simon to consider Hibiki Tokai from Vandread, as he's pretty much the same character.

Hmm... that's a pretty good recommendation.

JesuOtaku wrote:
Hibiki Tokai, Vandread -- Oh, I respect any man who can put up with all that abuse and still look fairly commanding at crunch time. Not a harem weenie at all, which is good.

Sounds nice.

So, while Hibiki may be from an lesser known series, he definitely sounds like a quality contender. Not weak by any means.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
And Dtm, who says you have to "rip people a new one" because of their views anyways? You could just let people post whatever reason they want, silly or not, and not rip them at all. You do have that option. Wink

No I don't have a choice. I have a problem, and I'm currently working with my doctor on a medication plan that will hopefully help. Until we get it just right, I won't be a pleasant person to hang around. Now, I do like these tournaments and I don't want to be the straw that breaks the camel's back. But neither do I want to have to miss part of it until I'm better. So, since I won't be able to avoid being snarky, in the meantime I have vowed not to comment on anyone's votes but my own. That way I should avoid a repeat of last tournament, for the most part. Please wish me luck.

Dry humour is an art form, and I'm no Leonardo da Vinci. But I do my best.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
On a side note, I'm happy to see that Shu is dominating Renton now, I was a bit surprised at first. Not that I dislike Renton, I think he's a good character with plenty of herioc traits... he just can't compete with Shu. Few people in the entire group A can, in my opinion.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
On a side note, I'm happy to see that Shu is dominating Renton now, I was a bit surprised at first. Not that I dislike Renton, I think he's a good character with plenty of herioc traits... he just can't compete with Shu. Few people in the entire group A can, in my opinion.

Ditto that. I was kind of worried that I was going to have to jump in and make some arguments for Shu, but things appear to be going better for him, so I guess I won't need to. Yay, saved me some typing. More people have seen Eureka 7, certainly, but if you have seen both, the choice is painfully obvious, unlike a lot of these other matches which are really personal preference.
Jarmyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Kouga13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono

Group A-2
Kazuki Muto, Buso Renkin

Group A-3
Pacifica Casull, Scrapped Princess

Group A-4
Kenshin Himura, Ruroni Kenshin franchise

Group A-5
Saya Otonashi, Blood +

Group A-6
Dr. Kenzou Tenma, Monster

Group A-7
Mai Tokiha, My-HiME

Really a vote against Clare. She just seemed driven by the lust for vengance more then anything else. Mai at least was fighting for her sake and for the sake of her classmates.

Group A-8
Siegfried Kircheis, Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Group A-9
Goku, Dragonball franchise

Goku smash!

Group A-10
Keisei Tagami, Shikabane Hime

Was voting against Hibiki but now that I remember more about him he has some fine traits. Either way Goku will beat the winner into the ground.

Group A-11
Hikaru Shidou, Magic Knight Rayearth

Group A-12
Karasu, Noein – to your other self

Group A-13
Shu Maritani, Now and Then, Here and There

Group A-14
Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender

Cryosleeper wakes up on hell on Earth then fights for man's very existence versus magical girl collecting mischievous cards.

Group A-15
Gourry Gabriev, Slayers franchise

This one was a coin toss for me. Glad to see probability working out.

Group A-16
Usagi Tsukino (aka Sailor Moon), Sailor Moon

Last edited by Kouga13 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Skylark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I agree with you on that, JesuOtaku; I was thinking I'd have to parade Shu around a little because NTHT wouldn't be as well known. I just think it's a shame that Renton is gonna get canned in the first round :\

Also, I haven't seen the dub (if there is one) but isn't his name Matsutani Shuzo? I know it's shortened to Shu even in the japanese broadcast but I didn't think they would change it from one Japanese name (Matsutani) to another Japanese name (Maritani?)... please correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT:

Psycho 101 wrote:
Ok we've got 3 sets of votes on this page with NO reasoning what so ever. If this is how the tournament is going to be this is going to get real boring and pointless real quickly. Even saying "guide" is better the nothing. Confused

I'll comment when I feel the matchups are worth commenting on (ie Shu vs Renton).. otherwise I don't really see the point, because some of them I don't know either way so I just pick whichever I think looks more heroic in the picture, or the one person I have seen.. as further rounds come through I'll probably comment more frequently as the matchups become more interesting/worthy of comment.

Last edited by Skylark on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Ok we've got 3 sets of votes on this page with NO reasoning what so ever. If this is how the tournament is going to be this is going to get real boring and pointless real quickly. Even saying "guide" is better the nothing. Confused
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps some people are planning to put reasons for specific votes later: it can take a while to do this whole thing. I had it relatively easy because when I researched for the mini-game, I was able to learn about each character, so I already knew who I was voting for and why coming into this. Others may not.

Anyways, as long as I am posting, I might as well reinforce a few things:

Keisei Tagami vs Hibiki Tokai is not a weak match up, both are quality candidates, and Hibiki has been compared to Simon from Gurren Lagann and is someone who's inspiration spans galaxies.

Clare is a very good candidate and underrated. (See my earlier post on page 2 for why.)

On a different note, I recall during the nomination round that some people were against Siegfried Kircheis. I can't quite remember why, anyone here who knows care to explain?

EDIT: I checked, and the person who voted against Siegfried was JesuOtaku, who expanded on the reasons for such in her vote for Robin in this thread.

Hmm... Siegfried is in a match up where I don't really know either characters, and he has a fair lead, but I'm not convinced I was mistaken to vote for Robin.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised how many votes this thing has gotten on just the first day. Shocked

Well, here are current scores I tallied up after 22 votes.

Match A-1: Hakuoro leads 18-4.

Match A-2: Kazuki Muto leads 13-9.

Match A-3: Pacifica Casull leads 13-9.

Match A-4: Kenshin Himura leads 21-1.

Match A-5: Tied 11-11.

Match A-6: Dr. Tenma leads 18-4.

Match A-7: Clare leads 13-9.

Match A-8: Siegfried Kircheis leads 13-9.

Match A-9: Goku leads 20-2.

Match A-10: Hibiki Tokai leads 12-10.

Match A-11: Hikaru Shidou leads 19-3.

Match A-12: Karasu leads 17-5.

Match A-13: Shu Maritani leads 19-3.

Match A-14: Sakura Kinomoto leads 12-10.

Match A-15: Tied 11-11.

Match A-16: Usagi Tsukino leads 16-6.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 77