• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: BBC Plans Documentary Episode About Idol Industry Mogul Johnny Kitagawa's Alleged Abuse

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:57 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Greboruri wrote:
And yet the Funimation version of Ultraman Tiga, released in 2004, still had V6's "Take Me Higher" included as the opening theme in each episode. Not saying Kitagawa didn't micromange his talent, music rights and artist imagery to an absurd degree, but material did slip through, as happened with Ultraman Tiga's original US home video release.

And that could simply be because 4Kids, who had the rights to Tiga (not FUNimation) probably actually paid the exorbitant amount that Kitagawa wanted for the song, because 4Kids would have had the money to do so back then. Also, bringing up one example as a counterargument, instead of being an exception to the rule, isn't really as strong as you think it is, because people will just continually bring up the examples that reinforce their argument.

This.

It's cool that those old Tiga DVDs had the song on it, but I'd say the fact that it couldn't be done again for the most recent re-release of the series indicates that different companies have different amounts of money they're able to spend to get that song. It indicates to me that Mill Creek isn't just swimming in money in the same way 4Kids and/or Funimation were 20 years ago to obtain the rights to "Take Me Higher", and that isn't exactly shocking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:21 pm Reply with quote
seoulman1985 wrote:
Thanks to this scoundrel, a lot of music was deprived from overseas releases like Kodocha, The Skull Man, and Ultraman Tiga among many others.

To bring up those other releases...

One Piece has some Johnny's songs starting from when the show went to 16:9 and while Funimation did get some, their DVD releases is missing one Tackey & Tsubasa song that originally aired in the beginning of that set of episodes. There was also a song in movie 7 by NewS but since Johnny's controlling issues didn't extend to films, Manga UK was able to include that song in their sub-only release of movies 7-9.

Toriko also has a Johnny's song by Tomohisa Yamashita that was missing from Funi's online streams and because they dropped the dub, we never saw if they would have fixed that for DVD.

Lovely Complex has Johnny's songs from two bands and Discotek was able to include them on both DVD releases. Makes me wonder if Toei helped with getting them cleared since Johnny was still alive at the time. If so then it would explain how Funi got later songs in One Piece cleared.

Speaking of Discotek and Johnny's lack of full control for movies, this was how they were able to get the movie finale of the Hana Yori Dango live-action in 2009 but not the two TV seasons that are needed to fully understand it (as someone who only watched the anime before that film, the show really is needed).

Monster Hunter Stories RIDE ON has a song by Johnny's West in it's second half and that's why Funi stopped their simulcast for it.

Captain Tsubasa 2018 also has songs by Johnny's West and that's why despite Viz getting the license, it never got simulcast. It wasn't until last year when they got both Japanese & Primo TV dubs on Roku & Amazon Prime with the songs in question included in the former.

There was also Ace Attorney but those songs got cleared either with Crunchyroll paying up or them getting help from the Japanese side.

Zalis116 wrote:
Discotek was only able to get the 1st Kodocha OP and related music rights because Johnny had died in the intervening years between their release and Funimation's, which was kind of seoulman1985's point.

I assume the same happened with InuYasha for the recent Blu-ray sets because there was a big delay between when they were originally announced to come out (May 2019 set for Fall) and when they actually did come out (July 2020) plus there were issues such as the replacement music being present on streaming (the most recent at the time being the HD versions) and also the Spanish Blu-ray sets from Selecta Vision from a few years earlier.

With Yashahime being after Johnny's death, I imagine those songs weren't difficult to get.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
And a big reason why Yu-Gi-Oh! couldn’t be released here in Japanese for a long time. Yugi’s voice actor, Shunsuke Kizama was signed by Johnny’s, and they somehow blocked the release of his voice recordings here. We got bilingual DVDs around 2004, but this was some time after that. When 5D’s was streamed subtitled, Yugi’s voice was muted for a cameo.

Yeah, this was back when 4Kids tried streaming the show subtitled on their YouTube channel in 2009.

Never knew about 5D's but I wasn't aware Yugi was in it but it sounds exactly like what happened with one of the Tokio members in Funi's Kodocha release.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
The simple fact is that while Kitagawa was alive more songs featured in anime that came from his various acts did NOT see inclusion outside of Japan (& even sometimes within Japan itself) than actually did see inclusion outside of Japan. Just because a scant few did manage to make it across doesn't mean that what everyone else is saying isn't true.

Sure, but the amount of anime and tokusastu themes Johnny & Associates acts have preformed is miniscule really, maybe around a couple dozen songs in total. This includes V6 and Tackey & Tsubasa songs which were included in Viz Media's DVD release of Inuyasha. The partial US release of Soar High! Isami by Hirameki International does include the opening theme song by TOKIO. All of this was prior to Kitagawa's death.

As for 4kids, the English language opening for US TV broadcast was not the V6's Take Me higher, but a new song they produced themselves. I suspect they just gave Funimation the original masters they worked off to produce the subtitled version and the fact the V6 song remained intact for the entire set was an accident. Why the Mill Creek set has the song included randomly is a mystery, but again probably an accident on Tsuburaya's part.

Now whether or not these were all errors by distributors or licensors, I really have no idea, but really, Kitagawa's micromanagement of his artists and the music they released had very minimal impact on English language anime and tokusastu releases. At most a handful of titles.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
The simple fact is that while Kitagawa was alive more songs featured in anime that came from his various acts did NOT see inclusion outside of Japan (& even sometimes within Japan itself) than actually did see inclusion outside of Japan. Just because a scant few did manage to make it across doesn't mean that what everyone else is saying isn't true.

Sure, but the amount of anime and tokusastu themes Johnny & Associates acts have preformed is miniscule really, maybe around a couple dozen songs in total. This includes V6 and Tackey & Tsubasa songs which were included in Viz Media's DVD release of Inuyasha. The partial US release of Soar High! Isami by Hirameki International does include the opening theme song by TOKIO. All of this was prior to Kitagawa's death.

As for 4kids, the English language opening for US TV broadcast was not the V6's Take Me higher, but a new song they produced themselves. I suspect they just gave Funimation the original masters they worked off to produce the subtitled version and the fact the V6 song remained intact for the entire set was an accident. Why the Mill Creek set has the song included randomly is a mystery, but again probably an accident on Tsuburaya's part.

Now whether or not these were all errors by distributors or licensors, I really have no idea, but really, Kitagawa's micromanagement of his artists and the music they released had very minimal impact on English language anime and tokusastu releases. At most a handful of titles.

As far as I was aware, Mill Creek had stated they were using V6's "Take Me Higher" on their release of Ultraman Tiga, and then that didn't actually happen. I suppose I could be wrong.

Regardless, I don't think anybody's debating what percentage of US anime releases have been affected by Johnnys. That's not what we're discussing here. It's not like Kitagawa "ruined" the American anime industry or anything. It IS, however, widely known about, and a very big interest piece. I think that's reason enough to care.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:33 am Reply with quote
Sorry if I bump this topic but just saw this from Variety via my email alert:

Variety report: Former Teen Star Kauan Okamoto accused Kitagawa of sexual abuse (date of this article: April 12, 2023)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2